Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tobester

I still don't know what Lobo_Eire or ESL means...

....Though I'm one of the few EDGE-savvy patriots left. Lobo updated his nifty Edge Shell/Launcher port. Guess I do know what it means! Insert my leet copy and paste skills concerning new features:

++ "Package it!" option. * This will create a compressed zip file which will contain all of the add-ons (wads, bex etc.) currently loaded into ESL, as well as a readme.txt file and a MiniLauncher program. * The MiniLauncher program can be used by the end user to run your TC in the chosen source port, with all of the add-ons automatically loaded (so the end user doesn't have to know nor use commandline parameters) * There are 2 customizable image files which you can edit to change the aspect of the MiniLauncher: one is for the background and one is for the actual "Run/play" button. * There is also a Readme.txt file which you can replace with your own.

Sounds pretty awesome. And for all you other people who hate EDGE, something else worth noting:

I should point out that while the name implies it only works with EDGE, that has not been true for several versions now, and ESL works with ALL source ports.

Tobester tested, Tobester approved. Go grab it here.

Package It??? PERFECT SOLUTION TO LAZY PEOPLE!!! Thank you lobo.

By the way, I'm not one of those lazy people. It's just that you lose a certain audience to your mod when 1.) its for EDGE, and 2.) you have to use the command line. So now it'll be easier for more people to play!

I just tried it with zDoom .. no matter which IWAD I pick, it always uses doom2.wad. What a great program! :P

Well I've just tried it with Doom2, Ultimate Doom and plutonia and they all worked.

What version of ZDoom are you using? I'm using .96

wow, tobe does do news sometimes!

<lobo_eire> Any doomworld news hounds around tonight?
<@SargeBaldy> for some reason there's only one newsie in this channel, and he's on vacation
<@SargeBaldy> well, i guess there's tobe
<@SargeBaldy> but he never posts news

Lobo said:

Well I've just tried it with Doom2, Ultimate Doom and plutonia and they all worked.

What version of ZDoom are you using? I'm using .96

I'm using .63a, but it should still work with that. There's no major differences between .63a and .96 in the way they load IWADs :P

sargebaldy said:

wow, tobe does do news sometimes!

<lobo_eire> Any doomworld news hounds around tonight?
<@SargeBaldy> for some reason there's only one newsie in this channel, and he's on vacation
<@SargeBaldy> well, i guess there's tobe
<@SargeBaldy> but he never posts news

I do news whenever someone asks me too. Not to mention that I use ESL a lot when my hand isn't cut in half :P

udderdude said:

I'm using .63a, but it should still work with that. There's no major differences between .63a and .96 in the way they load IWADs :P

Well I'm sorry you're having problems. I have tried it out now in 63a and there is no problem either, so it's a bug I cannot duplicate(and no one else has reported).

Can you send me inforation about:
where you have zdoom, the iwad and any pwads you are trying to load?(if you send me the .elc file that will tell me anyway)

Here's the ELC file (the important parts anyway)

Also I noticed it places dragdropx.dll in my winnt/system32 directory. This scared the crap out of me at first .. thought I'd been zapped by spyware. In the future .. DON'T DO THAT :P

<PWADDIR>C:\games\doom\zdoom118b\wads\single\heretic\</PWADDIR>
<DOOMPORT DIRECTORY="C:\games\doom\zdoom118b\" NAME="zdoom.exe">zdoom.exe</DOOMPORT>
<IWAD DIRECTORY="C:\games\doom\zdoom118b\" NAME="HERETIC.WAD">HERETIC.WAD</IWAD>
<OPTIONS>
<COMMAND NAME="IWAD" VALUE="C:\games\doom\zdoom118b\HERETIC.WAD">IWAD</COMMAND>

Most programs use .dll files to implement certain functions, that particular dragdropx.dll is what I use to enable drag-and-drop for the add-ons list.

How many applications for windows have you seen where the authors gave you a complete list of all the dll dependancies it has?

If it scares you so much then you really shouldn't go around installing "unknown" programs, should you?

BTW I'm afraid I cannot do anything about your bug, since I cannot duplicate it.

It's not about listing the .dlls. It's putting them in windows directory in the first place. Why don't you create it in the directory your .exe is in?

These days there are ALOT of spyware that hide themselves as .dll files in the windows directory. :P

It's too bad you can't reproduce that bug .. it seems like it'd be easy to fix x_X;

udderdude said:

It's not about listing the .dlls. It's putting them in windows directory in the first place. Why don't you create it in the directory your .exe is in?

Because I don't want to. I prefer to do it this way (which is also the MS recommended way: ever heard of dll hell?).

udderdude said:

These days there are ALOT of spyware that hide themselves as .dll files in the windows directory. :P

What's your point? They also install themselves in <PROGRAMFILES>, <COMMONFILES>, <WINDIR> and C:\
Should we assume that any program that places a .dll in one of these places is Spyware?

Hmm...I have a problem. lol. the damned thing will not read the response.txt file.
i do not believe I am doing anything wrong. and just incase anyone mentions it, i am not using spaced directory names.

jetflock, could you please send me an email with your .elc file and all the details (Problem running from ESL or the minilauncher etc.)?

firstgen-AT-gmail.com (substitute -AT- for @)

thanks again fatal! this guy is prolly one of the nicer people around the doom community. he never bitched me out or anything. you rock!