Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Ultimate DooMer

The death of freedom and justice in the US

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050720/325/fnq7v.html

Looks like Bush has taken over the Supreme Court now. Which means all those ridiculous laws they thought up (corporate immunity, forced medication etc.) can now pass through unopposed, along with their darkest long-term goals of marginalising the Democrats and removing the two-term limit.

Citizens of America: be afraid, be very afraid.

lol, politics. Whatever, as if Bush was going to nominate a non-conservative anyway. Had he, everyone would be all like "wtf?"

The Ultimate DooMer said:

along with their darkest long-term goals of marginalising the Democrats

they've already done that.

Pure Hellspawn said:

If I were to make a jokewad about Bush I would be placed in prison.

You can get away with it I bet. People post many flash cartoons on Newgrounds about Bush and other celebrities and they don't get caught.

"often controlled the outcome on issues such as abortion, affirmative action and civil liberties."

Translation : Kiss your civil liberties (what's left of them, anyway) goodbye!

Inferno said:

You can get away with it I bet. People post many flash cartoons on Newgrounds about Bush and other celebrities and they don't get caught.

Dude it's perfectly legal even if the president himself saw it. It's called freedom of speech.

Also you're a bunch of hypochondriacs

Sorry, I shouldent of said that "I bet" he could get away with it. There isnt anything to stress over with. Oh well.

Pure Hellspawn said:

If I were to make a jokewad about Bush I would be placed in prison.

Not only could you get away with it, I would help you make it!

The death of freedom and justice in the US

The way Americans talk about their country, you'd think that nothing has really changed.

Oh shut the hell up you dorks. Do you know who O'Connor was appointed by? RONALD FUCKING REAGAN. Oh no one Republican appointee is being replaced by another, let's all move to Canada.

Linguica said:

Oh shut the hell up you dorks. Do you know who O'Connor was appointed by? RONALD FUCKING REAGAN. Oh no one Republican appointee is being replaced by another, let's all move to Canada.

Actually, with the exception of Ginsburg and Breyer, all of them were appointed by Republicans (three by Reagan, one by Ford, two by Bush Sr, and one by Nixon). The thing with that though, is the Senate was controlled by Democrats at the time of those appointments (though Bush Sr's nomination of Souter is pretty funny) so it was harder for a Republican to push in a far right judge.

Which he isn't trying to do anyway.

Lots of people are panicing about this guy, but all the evidence against him comes when he was solicitor general, which means he was a government lawyer. It was pretty much his job to defend whatever his clients wanted, regardless of weather or not it was his personal opinion (and he was a good and respected lawyer at that, among Democrats and Republicans).

On top of that, most of what I've read about him points to him being an actual judge's judge who will uphold and interpret the constitution. For example, in 2003 when he was nominated to the DC circuit court of appeals he said this:

"Roe v. Wade is the settled law of the land," and "There is nothing in my personal views that would prevent me from fully and faithfully applying that precedent."

So there you go. He's a conservative, yes, but he's a pretty moderate one, and by far not the worst that Bush could have picked (and uh, what are you expecting from Bush anyway).

What Cyb said. I don't think Bush could have picked a more moderate conservative, and yet everybody is talking about him like he's foaming at the mouth and ready to rape every citizen in this country on the drop of a hat.

Democrats need to let this guys slide quietly to keep Rove on the hotseat. This guy sounds, decent, not my ideal pick but I'll survive... so long as he remains relatively moderate/sane.

The appointment of him now was to relieve media attention from Rove and the fact he fucked up royally and was busted red handed leaking classified CIA information. The Democrats need to just let the Supreme court nomination go quietly and keep the heat on Rove.

Thats an interesting point. I bet nothing will happen to Rove and Bush won't fire anyone, despite what he said. I bet the issue will be complicated so much by the bush administration that nobody will know who released the info. The media will then forget all about it just like they did with the downing street memo.

He already changed his vow to "fire anyone involved in his administration with the leak" to "I vow to fire anyone in my administration charged with a crime in the leak."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050720/325/fnq7v.html

Looks like Bush has taken over the Supreme Court now. Which means all those ridiculous laws they thought up (corporate immunity, forced medication etc.) can now pass through unopposed, along with their darkest long-term goals of marginalising the Democrats and removing the two-term limit.

Citizens of America: be afraid, be very afraid.

I have nothing to worry about, I'm moving to Canada. :) It doesn't have anything to do with this, though.

Ralphis said:

Dude it's perfectly legal even if the president himself saw it. It's called freedom of speech.

Also you're a bunch of hypochondriacs

Making threats against the president or any of his successors is a Federal crime. It is possible that a level that involved shooting the president might attract more attention from the FBI than a normal flash animation.

Basically nobody cares though because (1) Nobody plays Doom any more and (2) Nobody would care about some retarded Bush level that was made for it.

Jesus, leave it to the Republicans to screw things up. You know, we had a great system, too. One party would control Congress, the other the White House. Made sure nothing really ever got done. Then, for God knows what reason, people decided to give Republicans control of both Congress and the White House. Now things are getting done, which, at least in my opinion, is a bad thing. We were doing perfectly fine without the government trying to run everything. But now, we've gone from having a tug-of-war between the left and the right to having a tug-of-war between the right and the far right. So much for moderates. Ugh!

fraggle said:
Making threats against the president or any of his successors is a Federal crime. It is possible that a level that involved shooting the president might attract more attention from the FBI than a normal flash animation.

Basically nobody cares though because (1) Nobody plays Doom any more

So I guess this forum is a figment of our imagination in that case? ;)

Dodge said:

So I guess this forum is a figment of our imagination in that case? ;)

Nobody plays Doom enough for the government to care, I take he meant.

Besides, the government would never prosecude flash animators because it would give their opponents too much ammunition.

I want to take this moment to flex my ubergeekery and let everyone know that in the US, burning the flag is officially the preferred method of disposal if it's deteriorated past the point of being presentable.

That's not ubergeekery. You just remembered it from some post fodders made a year or so ago.

And to add to that, there's a picture around somewhere of George Bush signing someone's flag while writing on a US flag like that actually is illegal. But of course the law doesn't apply to him.

Scuba Steve said:

He already changed his vow to "fire anyone involved in his administration with the leak" to "I vow to fire anyone in my administration charged with a crime in the leak."

Actually, didn't he say he'd fire anyone who committed a crime? That's a little harder. In that case, there has to be an indictment, trial, and conviction for Rove to get fired.

GOOD LUCK ON THAT ONE

Whoever tries to prosecute Rove would probably wake up with a horse's head in their bed, with anthrax.

Grazza said:

That's not ubergeekery. You just remembered it from some post fodders made a year or so ago.

Eh?
Boy Scouts, actually.
And I remember very little of last year.