Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MikeyScoots

Gta:Sa Offically recieves AO Rating

Yup, saw this about five minutes ago.

I'm not quite sure about the implications of this. If the actions of the mod/cracker community has weight in game ratings, every game might as well be AO.

*goes to make a lesbian orgy mod for Zelda*

Bloodskull said:

What shocked me even more is even the PS2 and XBOX ratings are being changed as well.

You can use Action Replay or the like to access it on PS2.

This is just plain fucked up. Prostitution, gun battles, police brutality, violence, blood, gore, swearing, an accurate reflection of modern culture, all OK, but a little bit of low-poly, ugly-ass dry humping that you need to be TRYING to find? OH NO, THAT'S TOO MUCH!

This is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.

heh no one attacked The Sims: Hot Date for having in-bed sex because they're already a well-respected franchise.

Take GTA, known for being negative, and add tiny bit of sex and you get OMG! THIS MUST END! WE GOT EXCUSE TO SLAP AO ON IT YES! BACKSTABBENSCHIESSEN!

Just being dumb, and speaking the obvious.

Well that's good, now they can't sell the game to retards who will inevitably use it as a crutch for their legal defense when they slaughter someone. This is because AO games are damn hard to get if you are under 18 instead of the slack "M" rating.

And like I care, I'm 22 and this hardly affects me or anyone else I know.

zarkyb said:

You can use Action Replay or the like to access it on PS2.

This is just plain fucked up. Prostitution, gun battles, police brutality, violence, blood, gore, swearing, an accurate reflection of modern culture, all OK, but a little bit of low-poly, ugly-ass dry humping that you need to be TRYING to find? OH NO, THAT'S TOO MUCH!

This is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen.

my point exactly

also, AO, so what? my friend has it rated M, I'll just head to his house :) plus 2 years until I'm 18, but I think I dont need to spend them counting down till when I can buy a stupid video game

God bless Americans and their prudish nature towards sex, and apathy towards monstrous violence.

The news here isn't that GTA:SA is Adult rated... it's that it took a fully clothed modded sex scene not intended for actual play to enrage Americans about a game with violence so gratuitous it makes one's skin crawl at times, to become shocked and appalled by the content of the game.

I think we should just let kids become desensitized with this kind of stuff. We see shit like this on TV and movies anyways, so why the fuck not let them have their GTA's, Manhunts, Super Ultra-Violent Killing Gorefest 21XX, etc.? They'll eventually get exposed to it.

Meh, oh well. I'm 18 so it doesn't matter to me anymore.

EDIT: Hmm... I'm beginning to regret not buying GTA:SA before this whole shitstorm started brewing...

Even though I'm 18, I'm glad I bought my copy when I did. Had I tried to do it after the change, the clerk would probably not even bother asking for ID, and just turn me away immediately. The clerks around here tend to do that. (They almost did that to me when I bought Vice City.)

Scuba Steve said:

God bless Americans and their prudish nature towards sex, and apathy towards monstrous violence.

The news here isn't that GTA:SA is Adult rated... it's that it took a fully clothed modded sex scene not intended for actual play to enrage Americans about a game with violence so gratuitous it makes one's skin crawl at times, to become shocked and appalled by the content of the game.

You gotta admit though, running someone over a few hundred times in a row is fun

WildWeasel said:

Even though I'm 18, I'm glad I bought my copy when I did. Had I tried to do it after the change, the clerk would probably not even bother asking for ID, and just turn me away immediately. The clerks around here tend to do that. (They almost did that to me when I bought Vice City.)

I thought 18 was the age limit on AO games? Or is it "drinking age"? (so, 18 for most of Canada, 19 for the rest and 21 for the US)

Personally I'd like to see the next Grand Theft Auto having more gore, maybe targeting specific areas of the body (i.e. shooting the legs to slow them down, arms to disable their weapon, etc.)

Does this mean that they will be pulling the games from the shelves for good? The rating system never seemed very clear (or enforced) before.

The article goes on to say:
[...]Rockstar Games, said it was now working on a new version of the game that would satisfy the original "M" for mature rating.

So those of you who are worried about buying the game can be at ease. Rockstar would be foolish not to go ahead with these plans considering how popular the series is.

Does this mean that they will be pulling the games from the shelves for good? The rating system never seemed very clear (or enforced) before.

Not necessarily, but general retailers are reluctant to carry products designed solely for adults.

National Institute on the Media and the Family

A name like this makes my skin crawl more then excessively obscene sexual or violent situations.

Well, good thing I already have my copy

/me runs over old ladies with a baggage cart

Anyhoo, GTA games are my stress relief, and believe it or not, I'm interested in GTA:SA's story (It has a story? Holy Shit!)

I cannot help but fully agree with Scuba Steve's above post as well.

People have no right to bitch about the game ratings, since people SOMEHOW manage to ignore than anyway 97% of the time. On a side note: I looked at Ikaruga. It's rated E, but it has Violence in it's description. heh.

Bloodskull said:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050720/ap_on_hi_te/video_game_sex
Well folks, censorship has just gone out of hand in this country. Amazing how they'll give this game an AO rating over something you cant even unlock without a mod, but games like the The Guy Game and Lesiure Suit Larry continue to stay at an M rating. Discuss.

What you're describing doesn't seem to be censorship, but rather inconsistency. Having double-standards may be a lot of bad things, but it doesn't equal censorship.

Nobody forced Rockstar to produce the sex scene. They did it to themselves.

Scuba Steve said:

action doom had violence and nudity. Discuss.

Hahahah. I just saw this whole controversial sex thing, and I've seen just as bad or worse on cut television and PG-13 rated movies. This is ridiculous, there isn't even any nudity ** On the positive side, I won't have any more 14 year olds bugging me about how I classify GTA as an OK, but not good game.

the ESRB sucks. They took a game i was about to buy and made it AO. I had previously rented it from my cousin. I own covers for the game's M rated version, thanks to my friend who works for a printing press.

Magnum357 said:
Does this mean that they will be pulling the games from the shelves for good?

No, but according to CNN, they will be pulled for "quite a while", so I assume that even after the new M-Rated version comes out, there won't be any in stores for a while due to things like "What if there's something else?". Not to mention, if Hillary Clinton and Joe Lieberman get their say in this aptly dubbed "shitstorm," there may not be another GTA at all.
/idiocy

Come on .. you guys should have realized American culture is totally batshit fucking insane when the Janet Wardrobe Malfunction happened. This is just the icing on the hypocritical, bible-thumping cake.

Heh, I work part time at Circuit City, and today some guy comes up to me asking for San Andreas. Since I'm new I go to the experienced guy in my department and he's like, "We can't sell that, they just made it Adults-Only," then this kid is like "You have it for the X-Box in your case, which resulted in us going to the manager, which in turn lead to a frantic search throughout the store for all of the copies we had in stock. Fun Fun!

Good job Hilary Clinton, all you and your pathetic whining achieved was a far more popular release of a video game and the revealing of adult content which makes the game's popularity soar compared to if you never said anything.

HUBRIS WINS

Judge_Dredd said:

No, but according to CNN, they will be pulled for "quite a while", so I assume that even after the new M-Rated version comes out, there won't be any in stores for a while due to things like "What if there's something else?". Not to mention, if Hillary Clinton and Joe Lieberman get their say in this aptly dubbed "shitstorm," there may not be another GTA at all.
/idiocy

Well, I can say I don't think we need another gta, I think the 3D formula is stale since after Vice City. If theres another GTA, I either want it in the classic format, or at least a little more diverse then the past 3 games.

Ayu said:

If theres another GTA, I either want it in the classic format, or at least a little more diverse then the past 3 games.

I can see it now! Grand Theft Auto: How much more violent and verbally offensensive can this game get........nigger.

And this is why the world would be better if women were entirely in charge...oh, wait. Wrong thread.

Job said:

And this is why the world would be better if women were entirely in charge...

I strongly agree, you put 5 middle aged woman in office, and there period hits. Believe me we'd fine Osama in a heartbeat.