Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Tormentor667 is leaving...

This neither deserves to be dumb or helled. This is a very sad day indeed.

DOOM could be October 10 1993- July 20 2005

Anyways, if Graf Zahl leaves, I will not release my Upheaval project (but I will complete it for my own self)

Pure Hellspawn said:

Which would put it two months before its birthday. And besides, tormentor leaving is HARDLY the end of doom itself.

Pure Hellspawn said:

Anyways, if Graf Zahl leaves, I will not release my Upheaval project (but I will complete it for my own self)

So you won't release your project just because graf leaves?

Drama queens...

Big whoop. He's a talented author who has already released a ton of maps so I say we got our investment out of him. Heh.

Pure Hellspawn said:

And this is just stupid.

Dittohead said:

He's a talented author who has already released a ton of maps so I say we got our investment out of him. Heh.

And like they say, your time is our money.

Mancubus II said:

Which would put it two months before its birthday. And besides, tormentor leaving is HARDLY the end of doom itself.

So you won't release your project just because graf leaves?

Graf Zahl has been a big help with my project and a strong contributor to the DOOM community. If he leaves, many will also leave, and I don't want my project to go to the bad guys only.

Bloodskull said:

And like they say, your time is our money.

Unlike you, being worthless and all.

You left yourself wide open for that one.

Hahahaha. So someone is leaving the Doom community because their precious project got leaked. Boo Hoo, get over yourself already.

I'm not saying it's not a shame that some talented people might be leaving, but to act in that way is simply ridiculous. Remember kiddies, you map for nobody but yourself.

Point #5 pretty much sums up this place in truthery. And of course, it's predictable, you'll have arrogant fools that can't see what he's saying and think it's not there.

I don't blame him for leaving. His point says he's leaving for alot more than just a project being leaked. The only reason we don't have more people leaving is because the majority of the Doom community is made up of hollow dickheads, and dickheads just love to stick around one another.

5). Now one single question arises for me: Why do we from the KDiZD team deserve such an insulting and offensive behaviour and such bad and hostile words? This community is the most disappointing thing I have ever seen (community = doom community, not just zdoom; as always I speak with having exceptions in mind and not generalizing). We all are modding and working for an 12 yeah old game because it is fun and we like it. We create maps, wepons, mods and sprites because it is our hobby and we deliver information and resources to other doomers in the community to help them and us both and to entertain, motivate and inspirate us while we are once again working on our own work.
If something is happening like this - and I have to say it once again: I am in the community for over 6 years and something like that has never happened to me - it totally destroys, why we all are here. There is no more fun, no more motivation or inspiration, there is just stress, jealousy, hate and bullshit all over the place. Why are there people who see their only job to destroy projects like KDiZD by ripping and leaking stuff that will totally destroy our joy on surprised faces when the final version is to be delivered?! Don't you guys have other things to do? Maybe help us or help other mappers? Maybe working on your own wads or just doing something productive for the community you spend your time in?

Just for reference.

The Flange Peddler said:

Hahahaha. So someone is leaving the Doom community because their precious project got leaked. Boo Hoo, get over yourself already.

No, someone is leaving because he thinks the community is full of rude, selfish, uncaring, ungrateful, and basically highly obnoxious people. And that last sentence contributed in a small way to making his belief even more valid.

This incident is just the latest in a never ending series of upsetting and annoying events for which an evergrowing number of negatively inclined community members are directly responsible. They're like a plague amongst the more kind-hearted Doomers, and unless a "cure" can be found, then I'm afraid Tormentor won't be the last to leave because of them.

The fact even relatively decent community members (including those in positions of power, such as certain forum moderators) simply don't care when bad things happen in the community, or worse yet come out with things like "I told you so!" or "they deserved it" is another sympton of the disease.

The Flange Peddler said:

I'm not saying it's not a shame that some talented people might be leaving, but to act in that way is simply ridiculous. Remember kiddies, you map for nobody but yourself.

This is a sad day for all of the DOOM community.

YOur last statement is wrong. We map for the DOOM Community, not just ourselves.

insertwackynamehere said:

torm really doesnt know who's he's making these maps for.

He should make maps for no one but himself

he's lost respect to his fans

He shouldn't be so vein as to think he has 'fans'

and has no desire to give them anything more

And he certainly shouldn't be so vein as to think he's 'giving something' to somebody with his work.

NiGHTMARE said:
ungrateful people

Nobody owes any gratitude to anybody for making something for Doom. Sure, it's nice to have people appreciate your work, but if that's the reason you're making it you're going to end up getting upset a lot of the time.

This is just like when John Carmack quit after Doom3 was leaked.

Scuba: I assumed that was just a publicity stunt. At least, you seemed to turn it to your advantage in PR terms.

The Flange Peddler said:

You shouldn't map thinking people are going to be grateful to you.

Mapping for yourself is to be encouraged, but if no mappers could expect gratitude, then new levels would hardly ever be publically released; many level designers would just keep their creations all to themselves.

If those people who work on and release Doom projects not only receive no gratitude but get a torrent of hatred and abuse instead, then they definitely won't be giving their work away to the community.

What's the point of making maps for yourself or the community if everybody just spits on your efforts post haste? People are seriously missing the point of Tormentor's message on ZDoom.org. Can't we just let go of our egos and stupid flames for a moment and try to understand what's really going on? KDiZD hasn't even been released yet and everybody is foaming at the mouth like some rabid beast as though this project is the worst thing to happen to mankind, let alone Doom itself. People complain that it's not original, but at the same time say that it doesn't follow Doom closely enough and that the levels are too original. What the fuck do you want, people? Likewise, if people complain about your project, LET IT GO. The people who are flaming you probably don't have a brain to match their mouths, so you might as well NOT worry about whether or not they appreciate your hard work. In the end, you will know what you did, what you achieved, and be able to gain satisfaction from it, so what you think or how you feel or even what you do doesn't depend upon what others think of you or your actions.

This community is the most caustic and hateful one I've ever been a part of, and yet at the same time, the most fun and amusing. I am not exaggerating when I call the Doom Community a bipolar monkey with an ego bigger than its dick. Doom itself and the joy of playing and editing it are the only things keeping me here, and isn't one of the greatest games of all time supposed to be more important than penis bragging and ego wars? Isn't that the purpose of the Doom community, to play and enjoy this game with other people rather than be at each other's throats over every little comment or mistake or decision? It's not like anyone here is a god or anything.

I have Plans. As a community, all of us who are sane and intelligent should try to convince him (Tormentor667) to come back. I have already put an extreme effort in preventing him from departing us. However, one voice might not be enough.

Even in times of darkness like this, I think there is still a ray of hope. Let's try and prevent him from leaving.

Pure Hellspawn said:

I have Plans. As a community, all of us who are sane and intelligent should try to convince him (Tormentor667) to come back. I have already put an extreme effort in preventing him from departing us. However, one voice might not be enough.

Even in times of darkness like this, I think there is still a ray of hope. Let's try and prevent him from leaving.

How long have you been around here? Do you see the people here and the things they say to eachother and how they treat one another? If he came back, it'd just be a waste of time. Leaving permanently without another word will say something and leave more of an effect than coming back over and over. I'm somewhat hypocritical as I've left before, but the only reason I'm here is because I love mapping and I'm currently part of a project and want to show what I can do. After that's done, I'll probably disappear.

Regarding the various "big deal" posts:

Consider the big picture for a moment, guys. A highly talented and well respected (yes I know certain people will disagree with that) member of the community has left because he is fed up with the behaviour of the average member of the community. Said behaviour shows absolutely no sign of improving, and in fact is noticably getting worse. I have been in the Doom community for almost a decade now, and while every year has had its share of drama, the place has never been in a worse state than it is at the moment.

I'd hardly say it's far fetched to think that if one person left because of the state the community is in, and the community isn't getting any better, then this person is simply going to be the first of many.

Do you honestly want to see all the pleasant, mature people leave, and have only the whining, bitching, backstabbing, selfish, immature little idiots remain? I certainly don't.

What can we do it about it? Well, how about a concentrated effort to actually be a little nicer to each other from now on? Also, if you honestly don't care about something, no-one else will care that you don't care, except to possibly get pissed of that you'd wasted their time with a pointless post.

Xenphire said:

How long have you been around here? Do you see the people here and the things they say to eachother and how they treat one another? If he came back, it'd just be a waste of time. Leaving permanently without another word will say something and leave more of an effect than coming back over and over. I'm somewhat hypocritical as I've left before, but the only reason I'm here is because I love mapping and I'm currently part of a project and want to show what I can do. After that's done, I'll probably disappear.

There are people like me who are friendly and respect him. Unfortunately, we are the minority. However, it is us who will be suffering because of his leave.

Pure Hellspawn said:

There are people like me who are friendly and respect him. Unfortunately, we are the minority. However, it is us who will be suffering because of his leave.

That's true, but not the point, however. While we will be suffering because of losing a friend in the community (if you want to call him a friend) and one worthwile user of a small handful, when you get treated like crap and everytime you sign onto a forum you just see negativity, sarcasm, pessimism, arrogance, ignorance, as well as a number of other things it's definitely not something worth staying around for. Because we are the minority, we will in turn become even more of a minority over time. In the Doom Community, in this selfish, egocentric, childish community we are the ones becoming extinct.

And sorry for the run-on sentences.

Pure Hellspawn said:

There is one solution, get rid of the majority.

That's a solution, but not a realistic one, as alot of the moderators and veteran users around here are in that majority. I'd like to think there could be a "cleansing" or "purifying" of the community, but it'll probably just remain a dream.

A realistic solution? A Doom website or forum where the people in charge are a bit more mature than some around here (I won't name any names, because some of the moderators and people in charge here have a good head on their shoulders (and that don't just do stupid, immature things on a whim or just because they don't agree). I will say, however, and it's common sense, that the majority overpowers the minority). The problem is is that there's not enough people that would care to join, and probably not enough of us to make much of a community. Of course, I could be wrong. I'd like to think I'm wrong, that there's more decent people than that.

*Shrugs*

I stopped working on all of my projects because Linguica quit as webmaster years ago

Ralphis said:

I stopped working on all of my projects because Linguica quit as webmaster years ago

On the other hand he is still strongly involved in the Doomworld Community.