Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Extreme metal and Doom

destx said:

Metallica, Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir are prime examples of false metal parading itself as real metal

true, all those bands have given into fad and popular influence, but each of them were good in their earlier days.

and Gwar dude, please try and refrain from multiple posts. use the edit button.

Bands like Metallica, Dimmu and Cradle are seen as "false metal" because they have switched to a style that is much more accessible, watered down and "MTV-friendly" than their old material. So in a way, I can see why someone would label them as "false," although their old music was true to what heavy metal should sound like. However, I do recognize that there are relatively mainstream bands that are quite good and still play real heavy metal--like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc. There are a few but not many. As to the black/death metal question, there is no doubt Cannibal Corpse is death metal. Dimmu and Cradle being labeled black metal though? Cradle has drifted so far from bm that they're essentially "gothic" metal now, which has a totally different sound. Dimmu is symphonic for sure, there's not a whole lot of black metal in their current music. How do you guys feel about the idea of "real" metal being in the Doom 3 soundtrack? There's a possibility that it will have a "clasic" orchestrated soundtrack but I don't think it's entirely out of the question to think that there might be some bands featured. Knowing Holywood, they'll probably throw in a bunch of lame, tame, trendy metalcore bands in there, but considering Doom's atmosphere, I think groups such as Cannibal Corpse, Autopsy, Hellhammer, Morbid Angel, Impetigo, Necrophagia, Possessed, etc. would fit perfectly in the Doom atmosphere. However, atmospheric, dark ambience, like that featured in the PSX and N64 version of Doom would also be a warm welcome.

burzum's keyboard works, especially his extended pieces, are wonderful for adding extra atmosphere to large, non-linear levels.

GoatLord said:

Knowing Hollywood, they'll probably throw in a bunch of lame, tame, trendy metalcore bands in there,

Yeah, I've come to accept that most of my favourite action-horror movies will come standard with shitty mallcore soundtracks. I really doubt it will ever be any different, especially movies intended for a wide release. I don't really mind though, it's just the way things are.

jute gyte said:

burzum's keyboard works, especially his extended pieces, are wonderful for adding extra atmosphere to large, non-linear levels.

Oh fuck yes, that would rule. Rundgang um die transzedentale Säule der Singularität would be my first choice, because of it's extreme simplicity that creates a very desolate, solitary musical environment.

GoatLord said:

Bands like Metallica, Dimmu and Cradle are seen as "false metal" because they have switched to a style that is much more accessible, watered down and "MTV-friendly" than their old material. So in a way, I can see why someone would label them as "false," although their old music was true to what heavy metal should sound like. However, I do recognize that there are relatively mainstream bands that are quite good and still play real heavy metal--like Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, etc. There are a few but not many. As to the black/death metal question, there is no doubt Cannibal Corpse is death metal. Dimmu and Cradle being labeled black metal though? Cradle has drifted so far from bm that they're essentially "gothic" metal now, which has a totally different sound. Dimmu is symphonic for sure, there's not a whole lot of black metal in their current music. How do you guys feel about the idea of "real" metal being in the Doom 3 soundtrack? There's a possibility that it will have a "clasic" orchestrated soundtrack but I don't think it's entirely out of the question to think that there might be some bands featured. Knowing Holywood, they'll probably throw in a bunch of lame, tame, trendy metalcore bands in there, but considering Doom's atmosphere, I think groups such as Cannibal Corpse, Autopsy, Hellhammer, Morbid Angel, Impetigo, Necrophagia, Possessed, etc. would fit perfectly in the Doom atmosphere. However, atmospheric, dark ambience, like that featured in the PSX and N64 version of Doom would also be a warm welcome.

Sadly ur right. new metal bands seem to suck now a days -.- Cradle of Filth is losing there touch Metallica + black album = bad idea :(
Think about it if u put some "real" metal in DOOM 3 u lose that whole scary feeling, but in like boss fights and cut scenes now that would be awesome. I think hollywood would put Emo in the sound track, Did anyone ever see the resident evil 2 sound track? (movie not game) it had My Chemical Romance in it!! If u ever watched the movie, u could tell that My Chemical Romance should not be in the soundtrack!! >.<

P.S. Im sorry to ppl who r fans of MCR this is jus my opinion

Nile, Sonata Arctica, Skyfire, Finntroll , Nightwish are good… and they are relatively new bands and good ones. No, metal is not dead: even old bands are still alive and kicking (Iron maiden, Judas priest, Napalm death…)

In the name of GWAR said:

Did anyone ever see the resident evil 2 sound track? (movie not game) it had My Chemical Romance in it!! If u ever watched the movie, u could tell that My Chemical Romance should not be in the soundtrack!! >.<

P.S. Im sorry to ppl who r fans of MCR this is jus my opinion

there isnt any my chemical romance in the res evil 2soundtrack, but there is lots of emo in it. and if there are any mcr fans out there in doomworld, they deserve a kick in the nuts.

I think Disgorge (MEX)'s album "Necrholocaust" would work well with Doom, the production of the album seems to suit Doom well.

TomD666 said:

I think Disgorge (MEX)'s album "Necrholocaust" would work well with Doom, the production of the album seems to suit Doom well.

I used to really dig that style of "brutal death metal," but lately I'm more focused on old school and in particular 80's era death metal, I think that stuff sounds more "Doomish."

i agree that traditional death metal fits Doom. Carcass and (old) Arch Enemy seem to work very well for me. i happen to have a Midi of Heartwork, and it sounds awesome.

All this genre business is such a mind-fuck, what ever happened to listening to music?

So, there seems to be a lot of doom-playing metal heads out there. But does anyone else in here play in any bands?

Bands I'm involved in:
The Apparatus (death/thrash metal)
Kostebilen (symphonic BM parody)

I made some stuff for a map yesterday, while listening to Otep and Necrophagia, but I usually leave the midi's playing in the game, because the work better looped than most metal tracks do.

also, despite the titular connection, doom metal doesn't work very well at all for doom unless it's of the heavily atmospheric variety, like most of corrupted's 'llenandose de gusanos'. (and of course, that's really not doom METAL at all.)

Doom metal includes a wide variety of bands, among those many that have tunes that are quite fitting for DOOM. Why would classic Candlemass or Thorns of the Carrion not "fit" DOOM?

Perhaps you mean the lyrics or the way they are sung? If so, I'd say lyrics will always screw up a game's atmosphere, unless they are ghostly incomprehensible choruses that just go along with the music.

I've tried playing DOOM or Quake along with tracks that were fitting but otherwise had lyrics and I would go "uh, shut up, please" each time the singer opened his or her mouth.

What is more sensible is to make MIDIs based on the music.

myk said:

Doom metal includes a wide variety of bands, among those many that have tunes that are quite fitting for DOOM. Why would classic Candlemass or Thorns of the Carrion not "fit" DOOM?

sorry, you're right. i should be more specific. i'm speaking of doom in the slowest, most lurching sense. like grief at their best. the extremely slow stuff (which is my favorite) seems to work against doom's natural pace, which, even at it's most leisurely, is more frantic and less constant.
(i am also not speaking of the more "gothic" areas of doom metal, since i don't really listen to much of that.)
that's why i mention things like corrupted's more atmospheric moments. they are more free and less locked down rhythmically, and also don't have the problem of lyrics, as you mentioned, getting in the way.

All this genre business is such a mind-fuck, what ever happened to listening to music?

Rosethorn are Blood Metal dammit!

(Disclaimer, if there is a real Genre called Blood Metal, and a real band called Rosethorn, i didnt know, i just made them up)

Old school doom metal like Hellhammer/Celtic Frost and Pentagram work REALLY well with Doom's less frantic levels. I also play in a band. Well, a one man band. Actually, I do everything in Fruity Loops. Strangely enough, all of my music sounds similar to the metal tunes in Doom 1, except it's more death metalish. Check it out at

wwww.myspace.com/splatterfest

Maybe one of you working on a wad would be interested in having synth metal music? Anyway, if you like Doom's metal tunes you'll probably like my music, although it's a bit more complex and noisy.

insertwackynamehere said:

http://www.wackyhq.com/rally/rally.mp3 made this the other day, its short and unfinished and the ending sucks, but I was wondering if it would be classified as metal. I just made it, I dunno what it is now :P It was going to originally be Anthem Trance but I dont what the fuck happened to that. now I dont know what it is. please help :(

Haha, wow, that was some weird stuff. No, I definitely wouldn't call it metal. A lot of electronic music has guitar sampling and whatnot in it. I wouldn't know what to categorize it as, seeing as I'm not an expert on electronic music.

Wacky, that is totally not metal. Probably Amiga game music, would suit the title screen for an Amiga game. Reason for this is because the guitar samples are well.. from 1990. 1990 MOD guitar samples :P.

it's alright for a 1990-1994 MOD I guess.
But you made it in 2005.
oh dear

Listen to the album Us and Them by GODFLESH. The band itself seems to envelope everything around you when you listen to them, perfect for Doom/Quake.

GoatLord said:

Haha, wow, that was some weird stuff. No, I definitely wouldn't call it metal. A lot of electronic music has guitar sampling and whatnot in it. I wouldn't know what to categorize it as, seeing as I'm not an expert on electronic music.

haha k cool. just wasnt sure, because I ended up abusing my "Metal" samples, but just because they sound cool, I really dont know much about metal, like I could probably recognize it, but I'm not like a conniseur or whatever

Ed said:

Listen to the album Us and Them by GODFLESH. The band itself seems to envelope everything around you when you listen to them, perfect for Doom/Quake.

yeah. godflesh totally fucking DESTROY. 'go and spread your wings' from their album selfless is unstoppable.