Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Doom 64's monster designs

I dunno about you, but I prefer Doom 64's monster designs to id's original. They lookd less cartoonish, were a lot more hellish looking and generally just more badass, especially the freakish Pain Elemental and Mancubus. It's just too bad some of the death animations (particularly with the Mancubus and Aracnotron) aren't as spectacular as Doom's. Anyway, what would you think about seeing a Doom 3 mod featuring 3-D versions of the Doom 64 monsters? How do you think they would have done in the movie?

I'd like to see models painted to look like Doom 64. The Doom DS project i think might be a mix between doom and doom 64.

I agree with Goatlord, the doom64 sprites are much more dark, goth and terrorish than the original cartoonish ones.
I'd love to see them in Doom3. Especially the hellknigh and arachnotron.

WOAH....doom 64 for doom 3.. gotta link anyone? .....sweeeeeeet..i do prefer the monsters they look badass...i haven't ACTUALLY doom 64 on the n64 but i have played the conversion on jDoom.....which i must say rocks.......does the doom 64 mod have any screen shots out....OH MAN I CAN@T WAIT

They look kinda stupid to me. Less cartoonish? I think it's the opposite. They're all big and dopey looking on the 64. In fact if it's one thing I hate about D64 it's the monster designs.

The Arachnotron looks cooler but less rickety and techy. The zombies look a bit less aggro and more just decrepit. I don't like most of the others. Especially not the Manc or the Cyb...

Concerning the Cyberdemon-in fact looks much less muscled.
Cacodemons and lost souls also look rather cartoonish, but Imps and Barons really look like imps and barons, not "jesters" and "brown dudes".

The only Doom 64 design I really prefered over the original was the Anarchtron (or however you spell it). The others looked far more cartoony (especially the Pinky) then the original sprites did.

Only character I though was dumb was the Mancubi. Its had cat ears. Although I loved its death animations. Its melts but leaves a crippled spine standing. The Pain Elemental was a stroke on geniuses. Souls were kind of bleh. And imps had a mutant spawn look I liked.

I personally do not care if anyone makes a model pack to resemble the Doom 64 crew al all frankly.

MasterOfPuppets said:

i like the Doom 64 monsters in general, the only exeptions being zombies and mancubi.

agreed, to add on to that, I really liked the D64 Cacodemon, the arms were a bit much but the old Cacodemon looks like a fuzzball with a big smile. Of course, both of them blow away the Octobrain-wannabe in Doom 3.

It's worth noting that Doom 64 used actual 3D renders for their sprites (from proper 3D models). I'd say these original model files will be stored somewhere on some console developer's hard drive gathering dust. If someone could get hold of these, it would probably save alot of work re-doing them from scratch.

Use3D said:

They look kinda stupid to me. Less cartoonish? I think it's the opposite. They're all big and dopey looking on the 64. In fact if it's one thing I hate about D64 it's the monster designs.

I agree with this. While some of the Doom 64 monsters look kind of cool in screenshots, their animations are very poor and jerky.

Trilinear said:

It's worth noting that Doom 64 used actual 3D renders for their sprites (from proper 3D models). I'd say these original model files will be stored somewhere on some console developer's hard drive gathering dust. If someone could get hold of these, it would probably save alot of work re-doing them from scratch.

I agree with this. While some of the Doom 64 monsters look kind of cool in screenshots, their animations are very poor and jerky.

You know, funny thing about that. I figured, hell, it's the N64, they could handle smoother animations, right? Well, apparently the system is not well equipped for large amounts of sprite data (being that it's a primarily 3-D system), as there wasn't even enough memory to support all of Doom 2's enemies, which would explain why the Rev, Arch, Spider and Chaingunner are missing. With that said, making smooth animations for the enemies would probably force them to omit all but four or five monsters, and that would just suck. Interestingly, I was reading about Doom 64 on the internet before the game came out, and a preview claimed that the "polygons were so smooth you can't tell where one begins and the next ends." I don't know if this was referring to Doom 64's pre-rendered monster designs, or if the artists were originally using 3-D models in game. I agree that if the artists have the original model data somewhere on the computer, they could probably be worked into Doom 3. I'm sure though, that whoever would do this, would "update" the monsters a bit (such as adding more complexity to some areas or perhaps making normal maps), and also making some of the enemies less silly looking (snipping the Mancubi's cat ears, for instance, would be a nice touch).

I have a poster that came with some game mag that shows renders of all the Doom64 monsters. By today's standards the modeling and texturing is pretty bad, and for the most part I don't think the designs are as good as the originals.

DaJuice said:

I have a poster that came with some game mag that shows renders of all the Doom64 monsters. By today's standards the modeling and texturing is pretty bad, and for the most part I don't think the designs are as good as the originals.

PLEASE GIVE US A SCAN

the doom64 instruction book also has some higher resolution versions in there, but i think only one angle of each monster.

ShaneAmp said:

the doom64 instruction book also has some higher resolution versions in there, but i think only one angle of each monster.

Please I've been looking for it. Any one know were to get those old press release screenshots?

i dont have any old press releases, i used to have a nintendo power walkthrough for doom 64 that had some nice high rez screens of the monsters and textures to, but i lost that. The instruction book that im talking about comes with the game.