Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
stewboy

Another fine mess

Ok, so this may be something to do with my computer. But while I was making a new map, I saved it to an existing wad. Then I tried to go to 3d mode. The computer restarted unexpectedly (It's been doing that a lot lately), but when I tried to edit the wad, I found that none of the maps showed up. I had to try one of the backups, however when I tried to make a new map as before, the same thing happened. Only this time none of the backups worked. I got a windows message saying 'blah blah is corrupt or unreadable file. Try the chkdisk utility.' or something like that. So I did the utility. Now Doom Builder doesn't even load the wad. It says "Could not browse the WAD file contents in this file. Error -2147221504: File is not in IWAD or PWAD format"
The only manual backups I made are not recent, and I have lost four levels.
Is there anything I can do?
Oh, and btw, the map I was making was Doom in Hexen format, and all the others in the wad were Doom in Doom format.

Maybe I should give the exact details of what I was doing, maybe they would help?
Well, I had created a new map as I said, and I increased the height of the first few sectors to 2048 or something high. Then I made four pillars, height 1024. So I got this pit, and four towers on each corner. I went to 3d mode, and after a first glimpse of the level, the computer restarted. Maybe this was caused by the big height difference?

If your computer is restarting a lot lately, what makes you think DoomBuilder is the problem?

What OS have you got?
What were you doing the other times it restarted?

I would update your graphics drivers to the latest, just in case, and possibly install the latest directX also.