Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Lobo

EDGE 1.29 RC2 is out

EDGE 1.29 RC2 is out. You can get it
from here

New stuff since RC#1:
---------------------------

- fixed bug with teleport spawner (type 7101).
- fixed window depth changing in Win32.
- fixed a possible lock-up in Win32.
- fixed reloading of secondary attacks.
- title screen doesn't blur at LOW detail setting.
- support for #CLEARALL in weapons.ddf.
- fixed demo sync when using menus.
- allow weapon & thing sprites to have same base.
- language is remembered in config file again.
- better values for camera's near/far distances.
- added support for hq2x graphics scaling.
- Sound system retrofit for OpenAL
- Win32 now uses SDL library for GFX & Control Devices.

Stuff they forgot to mention:
- New things Special - HOVER
- New Ghost class for Things.ddf
- improved doom-like lighting emulation
- New RELOAD_RESET action for things.ddf
- load DDF files specified directly on the command-line
- NOZBUFFER special for things.ddf

- NOZBUFFER special for things.ddf

This one also works just fine in attacks.ddf

Finally we can have super nifty (and CPU expensive :)) smoke and fire effects with a few hundred sprites floating around without any ugly "cliping" errors.

And there was much rejoice *yay*!

Straight from Ajapted's log:

2005/06/04:

Simplified the way monster reloading works, the RELOAD_CHECK
action now increases the shot_count itself. Also added a new
RELOAD_RESET action.

Make of it what you want, but i think it resets the monster magazine, ie something which is used after the monster has finished it's reloading state. Unless of course Lobo did not do a typo, and it really is a new action for weapons.ddf, in which case i have no idea.

Edit: spelling

Yeah RELOAD_RESET is for monsters, not weapons. Might not be that useful for actual reloading stuff (perhaps put it in resurrect states), but could be very handy when (ab)using the reload counter for another purpose.

I can't seem to run regular EDGE. It complains that the wad is too new.

As in, regular and not GL? EDGE in software mode has been discontinued - only the GL version works now. If you still want your unfiltered look, just turn off smoothing in the options.

So how is this new version working for you folks?

Any problems? Lock-ups? Crashes?

WildWeasel said:

As in, regular and not GL? EDGE in software mode has been discontinued - only the GL version works now. If you still want your unfiltered look, just turn off smoothing in the options.

:(

The lighting is a lot more doomish and cooler looking. The manual reloading of weapons adds a cool realism factor. The built-in ddf checker found a bunch of errors that the 1.28a didn't report, so I was able to fix some issues in GoldenEye Doom2.

Lobo: I have a a speed issue upon exiting it though, its strange, my computer slows right down (amd 1.2ghz, 768mb ram, geforce 4 mx440) and xchat becomes unresponsive, which is odd, I noticed xchat started using 99% cpu and started gobbling up ram.

Something weird is happening there, there could be a problem with xchat, but it seems my whole system takes a while (1-3 minutes) to become responsive again after closing edge.

RTC marine, could you post a bug report at the EDGE site with a copy of your edge.log?
Or you can send it directly to me and I'll pass it on if you prefer (firstgen-AT-gmail.com)

TheDarkArchon and RTC_marine:

Did you guys send off your bug reports and debug info to any of the EDGE team?
If not, then please do take the time to do it so it can be fixed for the next version.

Of course you do.

We need:

1. dxdiag.txt
-----------
this is generated by going to Start->Run and typing "dxdiag". When the screen finishes loading then hit that "save information" button and save the dxdiag.txt file somewhere.

2. edge.log
------------
In the directory where you have unzipped EDGE you will have an "edge.log": send us that too.

3. enhanced edge.log (optional)
---------------------
If you're up for it, you could also call EDGE using the command "-DEBUGFILE C:\RC2Debug.txt" and then send us the file.

4. description of bug
-----------------------
with as much detail as possible about how to cause it, what exactly happens etc.

We'd be really grateful if you could take a few minutes to send us this info. My email is firstgen-AT-gmail.com (replacing "-AT-" with "@")

Lobo: sorry for the delay, but it seems that RC2 doesnt want to reproduce the bug anymore, it works fine now.

xchat and my system seems operate normally after exiting aswell.

if you still want a log, I'll send it in.

Don't worry man: if it's working for you then everything's cool.

Actually, I had one concern.

When I tested the beta, my mouse buttons 4 and 5 weren't recognized by the game anymore. It's kind of nagging, because those were my Use and Reload buttons. :/

Relica Religia said:

When I tested the beta, my mouse buttons 4 and 5 weren't recognized by the game anymore.

EDGE is now using SDL for video & input, which seems to map the mouse-wheel onto buttons 4 and 5. Try simply rebinding those functions in the keyboard options menu.