Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ebon

Which hell do you like more?

Hello again. You like the classic Dantesque Inferno of DOOM 1, or the crazy surreal haunted house of DOOM 2?

I prefer the latter, since it seems closer to the modern definition of Hell -- ugly, surreal and packed with mean surprises. I really like how MAP21, MAP22, MAP23, MAP24 and MAP29 turned out to be. This same style was carried over in wads like Hell Revealed. But that's MY preference.
OTOH that's why many people think DOOM 1 is better than DOOM 2, without regarding gameplay enough.

Fire and brimstone for me. I've always liked the medieval portrayal. Deus Vult does this excellently.

Ebon said:
I really like how MAP21, MAP22, MAP23, MAP24 and MAP29 turned out to be.

Arguably Map22 is rather gothic styled ("medieval,") and Map29 is pretty much a more classic Hell map; an underground fortified hill surrounded by a lake of poisonous blood.

The original without a doubt. When someone mentions to me the hell theme in the Doom series I automatically think of the red stoned areas with lava in abundance not whatever the hell (no pun intended) is meant to be depicted in the later levels of Doom 2...was there even a theme there or was it just completely random?
(question doesn't require an answer)

Doom2's maps 28 and 29 were the only levels in either of the original games that seemed hell-like to me, so I guess that means I'll go for Doom2.

I agree that the hell maps in doom2 are not the most evil looking (some are like ones Grazza mentioned), it could have really used more fire/brimstone style maps, or fortress/castles and stuff. So Doom1 wins for me, it feels more otherworldly.

I would have to say Doom2 map29! If thats not hell than I dont know what is!
Doom 1 had a nicly done hell but it was a bit to blan compared to Doom2 or other wads.

Doom 1 for me. Especially Limbo or Unholy Cathedral.
That with the flaming sky from the PSX Doom is pure evil for me.

Yeah, tho gameplay in DOOM 2 is way better than in DOOM 1. E3M7 could've been a little harder. The way it is it does frighten beginners (with that flooded maze) but otherwise it's not too much of it (plus you get 100 cells and a BFG - just enough to kill that Spiderdemon.)

Also E3M5 and E3M6 are only max fun if you play them the way they were intended to, i.e. let monsters free.

I think the second hell is only received seriously by mature players with imagination.

Dodge said:

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)

Poor, very poor, since DOOM 3 remakes DOOM.

I liked the Doom2 hell a bit more, I suppose those really flashy textures in Doom1 hell were alright, but the booby-trap haunted house levels were my cup of tea...

The four maps made by Sverre Kvernmo in Master Levels are my choice. Between DOOM 1 and DOOM 2, hell maps I choose these of DOOM 1.
I wish Plutonia had a more consistent theme in the last 20 maps.

So far, if I'm not wrong, hell is:
DOOM 1: 53.33%
DOOM 2: 33.33%
DOOM 3: 13.34%

Doom1 hell starts off good and then ends up becoming really, uh, 'random.' I'd say Doom2, map28 and 29 are great levels.

After a while I found MAP28 to be extremely lame. Too many monsters - for too much help. FIVE invulnerabilities and TWO megaspheres -- oh, God. Exaggerated cells too. Too many cells == bad, straightforward fights.

Actually I find I like a lot the Post Hell. I gotta yet see such a sinister hell in custom wads. All the 'evil marble mansion' jazz are just arcade game props.

Vegeta said:

The four maps made by Sverre Kvernmo in Master Levels are my choice. Between DOOM 1 and DOOM 2, hell maps I choose these of DOOM 1.
I wish Plutonia had a more consistent theme in the last 20 maps.

Yeah, those were certainly the best, TEETH was alright, although I liked Mephisto the best...

'Shock News,' DOOM 2 is not actual hell! It's hell on Earth! After I read a DOOMWORLD article about thoughts for DOOM ]|[ (before its release) which included John Romero as a speaker -- what he said was that the Icon of Sin is on Earth!

Ebon said:
'Shock News,' DOOM 2 is not actual hell! It's hell on Earth! After I read a DOOMWORLD article about thoughts for DOOM ]|[ (before its release) which included John Romero as a speaker -- what he said was that the Icon of Sin is on Earth!

That's a reinterpretation of the end of DOOM II that Romero thought would make a cool start for DOOM 3's plot. Read the intermission texts after maps 20 and 30; the first says you plunge through a portal to where the creatures come from, and that you don't care that you need to go through Hell, the latter that the boss' thrashing limbs shake Hell (not Earth's core, or something.)

What an author gives as an explanation of his work is never half as good as the work itself. And Romero didn't work alone on DOOM II; he wasn't even the official designer.