Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Doom 2 Survival Guide

does anyone remember this thing. I was only able to play DOOM on my brother-in-laws computer, my bro and I were playing wofenstein at the time and behind the times, we didn't realize DOOM was already out when we began playing wolf.

So our first DOOM experience was a shareware disk of E1 we obtained at the local radioshack, followed by DOOM2.
But before that, there was the D2SG, we couldn't afford to buy DOOM2 when it came out at first.

I won a Veterans Day raffle at the local SAM's Club, for which I was awarded a lame $12 world globe. I asked my mom if I could trade it so, for a few extra bucks I swapped it for a Doom 2 Survival Guide and I read that thing cover to cover,

I remember staring at the maps and using my imagination, just wondering what the actual levels might look like, I also use a lot of the conventions found in there when sketching my own maps. I'm not sure who the author of the book was, but anybody who uses phrases such as
" Don't get your panties in a wad, marine" and refers to his readers as having " bulging eyes and sloped foreheads" has to be cool, or at very least disturbed. Does anyone else remember this small piece of classic DOOM history?

There was this cool liquid metal-like texture that graced the background of all the pages, I always thought something like that liquid mercury belonged in DOOM.

Yeah, I read this book before. They had a copy of it at Software Etc. when it was still a part of my local mall. It was pretty entertaining, though I had no need for it since I knew the game inside and out by then.

Do you mean Doom II: The Official Strategy Guide (ISBN 1-55958-711-3) by Ed Dille? The liquid metal background is just on the first page of each chapter, rather than every page.

I've got 2 copies of this particular book:
http://www.lesmiskin.co.nz/doom/graphics/mycollection/book_doom2strategy.jpg

I always thought the book was a bit lacking, and found a few typographical errors and problems with some of the maps. The interview with John Romero at the back was cool though.

[EDIT]
Whoops, you're referring to the "Survival Guide". This is a cut-down version of Ed Dille's Strategy Guide which only includes maps and some basic game info (i.e. no interviews and extra stuff). Have a copy of this as well:
http://www.lesmiskin.co.nz/doom/graphics/mycollection/book_doom2survival.jpg

I'd buy it, probably just for the collector's value, which I need. It pisses me off, I bought Master Levels some time ago, and now can't find my kickass poster...

Mivalekan said:
Doom 2 is extremely linear...

DOOM II? You usually have to get certain keys to exit and you have to move through certain areas, but on many maps there are a few paths you can take to do so. If anything, it's not "extremely linear."

myk said:

DOOM II? You usually have to get certain keys to exit and you have to move through certain areas, but on many maps there are a few paths you can take to do so. If anything, it's not "extremely linear."

Yeah maps 19 and 21 spring to mind

I thought of 21 too, yes it was the slimmed down version, okay so the liquid metal was at the start of each chapter, my memory failed me.