Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

Wolfendoom-WTF?

I played Rhein for the first time last night to fill the empty hole in my heart at my loss of beating RTC-3057: Hub1. I couldn't get it running off the doom2.exe so I ran it in ZDoom, so maybe this is a Zdoom specific problem, the game was okay...

but what is with the freaking rats? I didn't know that basement rats are deadlier than demons, each time I got bit it knocked off upwards of 25% of my health, and they were impossible to kill with a knife. I've heard of Ben, but this was ridiculous! Anyone else notice this?

The damage isn't a Zdoom-specific problem (it's been like that in every Wolfendoom episode which had rats) and is quite likely intentional (although stupid - just like the "machinegun" being a sped-up shotgun). The knife issue may be Zdoom-related though, since you can walk over monsters in Zdoom but not in Boom.

really? I'm surprised and saddened to hear that because it makes it damn near impossible, they are hard for me to see and attack by the droves, its sad when you take out a platoon of SS officers and then get mauled to death by a single tiny rodent.

I used IDDQD.

Martens said:

Urgh, don't get me starting with those rats, they ruined the wad >_<'

I think so, it's an unforgivable flaw.

I think the worst thing about most of the Wolfendoom WADs is the poor ammo/health balance. There's so much in ammo in them, but hardly any health at all.

caco_killer said:

I think the worst thing about most of the Wolfendoom WADs is the poor ammo/health balance. There's so much in ammo in them, but hardly any health at all.

Yeah, I definitely noticed that, but which is the best one, someone recommended Rhein, but I'll pass.

I like Rheingold and Eisenmann a lot, but when I tried the others I was mostly dissapointed. Rheingold especially, you need to give it a shot, you will not regret it. (The first level is a b*tch - Can I say that in these forums? - but afterwards it gets really nice, especially when you start fighting Panzers...)

Martens said:

Can I say that in these forums?

Say what you want, just don't go using it on the wrong people.

I've never played any other WolfenDoom wad besides the Wolf3D remakes, mostly because I do not want to wait in a queue.

Yeah, Arctic Wolf is my favorite too. It takes a lot of liberties from the original Wolf3d but it was a winning gamble.

Actually Arctic Wolf is not as good because it abuses Duke3D textures and has a big number of rats, unlike Rhein or Eisenmann.

The only thing that I didn't like about it was that little glitch with the knife weapon and the phantom radar dish.
Otherwise it rocked for me.
Decent mapping.

If the problem with knifing the rats is due to them being too short to hit in Zdoom, you might try turning on the actors infinitely tall compat option.