Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

First Wad (Altar of Flesh) - DONE

Altar of flesh hehehehe:D cool name, it kinda reminds me to something dunno what exactly.
Its too bad you won't finish your other map, if you say it looked so bad then I believe you.
Good luck on your new one, whe do get to see some screens when they are ready right :)

Yeah that's right ;) probably not until at least the first or second week of August. It's not that the other was so bad, but more that my others are a cut above IMO.

I need to do a design rehaul on parts and I really just want to get moving on my first WAD so I will save that one for later.

Oh I'm thinking about posting screenshots before I get opinions on which music to use.

Looks awesome.

Just a suggestion. You might want to change the floor and wall textures in certain areas so the altars can contrast against them.

Can't wait until you release it.

-SlatheDoomer

hmm i think it looks great for gameplay but it kinda needs some different places like an outdoor part and stuff but other than that it looks exellent :-)

the kinda music you'll need is a dark and quiet tune

SlatheDoomer said:

Looks awesome.

Just a suggestion. You might want to change the floor and wall textures in certain areas so the altars can contrast against them.

Can't wait until you release it.

-SlatheDoomer

thanks, the problem is the limited number of flesh related textures, can you use freedoom textures? regardless, if you have a suggestion, make it here. keep in mind most of these are all of the same room so they will look similar. I like the first room, so I wasn't really looking to change it much, but I'm still experimenting with textures a lot. keep in mind this is my first level so make the criticism constructive not vague. also what Doom2 music would fit this best? Oh and I've been adjusting textures so what you seen in the screens are not final, the room with the skull ceiling is completely different already.

oh and a side issue is, how do I keep enemies from coming from way far away, I tried putting them in sectors and designating them to block sound and I tried making them deaf but neither seems to work like they should.

and thanks guys,

make it so they cannot se you and they are deaf.. .. ..

in other words he is facing the wall

A few texture changes and maybe a bit more detail and it should be a good wad! I will give it a chance!
BTW for your enimies, keep them out of line of sight, and make them deaf, this should do the trick, also with the blockmonster tag set on lines, make sure your line is aimed at the monster not away...

doom2, zdoom is a little advanced to start with, and that's not brain its snakes.
I now have nearly all the rooms mapped, but not completed, I need to add a couple rooms and work out details with the others. is there anyone that is good with balancing textures that could playtest and give me pointers? also on lighting and general mechanics of level design?

;) i can!

and if you want i can add some detail that i think is needed ( if there is any! )

sausage said:

;) i can!

and if you want i can add some detail that i think is needed ( if there is any! )

if there is any detail?? I should hope there will be! nah just kidding, I know what you meant, and I'll surely use you once I reach completion.

merging those sectors to get them to rise worked like a charm and so I'm even more fired up about my WAD now and still making steady progress, will post updated screenies soon, lots of changes have been made to asthetics. Xtreme makeover.

I've got one area left out of 6, and a lot of touch ups to do.

I didn't think my wad was that big at first, but now I realize it's a decent size, about the size of e1m5 or monster condo, abandoned mines, something like that. I'm thinking about renaming it to "shrine of flesh" and releasing a prequel wad titled "altar of souls" or something similar. All this depends whether or not I get a decent review.

Looks great indeed! What kind of game play are you going for in this level, it almost looks like it could have an HR or AV type style, but that might not be it at all.

In Plutonia there are some cool fleshy like textures that may help.

Yes I nabbed them - but Ultimate Doom had them plus skull walls so I went with them instead.

What is AV, HR? forgive my noobiness, I actually have 703 posts here! :P

EDIT: In case no one noticed I removed all items from these screens, putting them back will be a snap.

Yes indeedy my friend. Hell Revealed I and II are both classics. As for Alien Vendetta, well, you've just gotta play it!