Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bank

The Library [In Progress]

Hey guys, I'm working on a new wad, just one level, and guess what, it's my first! Well anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble with two main parts of the wad, the second staircase and a staircase HOM later on in the level, realize, the level is meant to be a fast paced "Shoot now, ask questions later" map, give me some feedback, and if you're nice, help me fix the problems!

boomspeed.com/comiclez/library.wad

*It's called the Library because of the style set it uses, not because it is identical to a library*

Comiclez said:
"Shoot now, ask questions later"

Perhaps "shoot now, read later"?

myk said:

Perhaps "shoot now, read later"?

I suppose, there's really not much of a story...

Whoa, sector reference errors abound! What editor did you use to make this? All of the graphical problems are caused either by missing lines or by lines referencing the wrong sector.

I'd suggest looking for a basic tutorial, or upgrading to a better editor. Doombuilder and Deepsea are the top choices; DB is easier to use, although I like Deepsea better since, dammit, I grew up mapping in 2D and I'll die mapping in 2D.

Wadauthor if it matters, it's made for vanilla doom, although I assumed it would work in any port...

Wadauthor can get a bit wonky. I'd definitly suggest switching to another editor, as you'll probably just end up frustrated if you keep using WA.

lol, ok, i dont know if you know this but, to join sectors in wadauthor you have to select one line, then hold cntrl and select another, then press j... simple as that... only time that you should get homs is when you forget to put a texture, or cut and paste, or as far as i remember, delete a sector... Oh and becarefull about the verticies, theyll kill you!

Macro11_1 said:

lol, ok, i dont know if you know this but, to join sectors in wadauthor you have to select one line, then hold cntrl and select another, then press j... simple as that... only time that you should get homs is when you forget to put a texture, or cut and paste, or as far as i remember, delete a sector... Oh and becarefull about the verticies, theyll kill you!

Yeah, but my problem is a crazy staircase, how about you people actually TRY the wad, and see my dilemma, instead of giving me every other explanation!

Oh, sorry... Dont judge every one based on my own actions... Just trying to help with minnimal effort on my part... Anyways, ill go look at it now. sorry.

Ok well I checked it out ingame, and part of it looks fine... But When I checked it out in the edditor, Ive gota ask... What were you doing exactily? I need to know, so I can tell you what you did wrong.

First of all, most sectors In that map were not evin closed, secondly, There were a whole bunch of overlapping vertices.... This tells me that you went in and made sectors and delleted the lines and tryed to fit it together like a jigsaw... But Im probably wrong, thats why I need you to tell me what you did.

Oh and by the way, Try doombuilder... I like it also, but I still use wadauthor cause Its faster at somethings than Doom builder.... Like creating sector lighting...

Oh well, Hope I can help... Sorry for my previous post.

That's alright, and I'm trying for a small, tight corridors map with a lot of monsters, kinda like congestion control, except I'm not doing as many triggers, and am trying to stay away from doors, because there aren't any really good ones for this style set. I've worked a bit more on my own, but still need some help one the second staircase, I'll try and upload the latest version soon, I'll probably be adding a small room to the Hexegon room, containing a teleporter to another part of the map. I want everything to fit with the style, no zombies or techno-monsters (Maybe the Mancubus though), in a very victorian style map, that's why I am only providing SG and SSG, and *Possibly* A rocket launcher, everything else is too futuristic. Give me your imput.

Comiclez said:

that's why I am only providing SG and SSG, and *Possibly* A rocket launcher, everything else is too futuristic. Give me your imput.

If im not mistaken an chaingun is even older than an shotgun, well if you look at their realistic counterparts.
But I could't be wrong of course:)

dutch devill said:

If im not mistaken an chaingun is even older than an shotgun, well if you look at their realistic counterparts.
But I could't be wrong of course:)

Yes, but it was sitting on a platform and had a crank, if there was some sort of rifle, I'd use it.