Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spank

Nintendo DS vs. PSP

I am seriously thinking about acquiring one of these. However, I don't know what would be the better choice in the long term.

The DS is significantly cheaper than the PSP; on the other hand, the PSP seems to be a much more versatile and powerful device, but that I can manage because I have an iPod (1G mini, loaded with Linux :)) which I'm quite fond of. I think I'm willing to sell my iPod to buy the PSP, but I need a second opinion on this (and if I'm to sell it, I should make it quick before I can't arrange a decent price for it.)

I guess it would be something like N-Gage vs. GBA and a mobile phone (except in this case both are good choices as opposed to the fatal lameness of the N-Gage.)

handhelds live and die by the quality of their games. the technology will never be that impressive when compared to a home system, so look at previews for future games on each system and decide what roXorz joor boXorz more.

That's what I thought. However, I'm also trying to consider other parameters such as the ability of each to be hacked, programmed, what have you. I suppose good efforts have been made with both systems (namely DS Linux and homebred software on the PSP).

Yeah,I find most of the games coming out for the DS dont even take advantage of of it's increase in technology.They're basically just GBA games with a pen and 2 screens.

Crazy doomguy said:

The PSP is better my friend has one you can watch
movies ,and the graphics are awesome .

WTH would you want 2 or 3 copies of the same movie in different formats

I ended up buying both, and in the end I've found myself playing my PSP more. The games seemed a bit more fun, and the added bonuses of listening to music, surfing the web, storing pictures, and watching movies on it from both UMDs and the memory sticks have only added to my enjoyment of it. What's really cool is that I'm buying movies I never have owned before for it. When I go back to Japan, this will definitely help out on the plane ride.

The upcomming games on the PSP have also made me consider selling my DS. Once Guilty Gear hits the PSP, I won't be touching my DS for a long time.

But then again, I also bought a 512mb stick for it a day after I got it.

baronofhell said:

Some of the psp features sound cool, but I don't think I'd ever sit and watch a movie on it.

yeah or rebuy the movie to watch it in lower quality on a smaller screen. i mean has anyone else noticed that while technology certainly can do a lot more things than it used, the demonstration of it is mundane and stupid and redundant? i mean, sure you COULD watch a movie on a tiny screen after rebuying it, or you could watch it on a nice big screen with dvd. Smaller isnt always better, and its stupid how companies are making everything smaller just to show they can. I like things with weight to them, and i like watching movies on big screens, even if i could get a phone which I cant even tell if its in my pocket, or even if i could get a psp and watch movies smaller.

The DS doesn't exactly have a lot of good games, but if you have a gba flash cart the DS is definetly worth buying over the PSP. Your chances of finding a 1.5 firmware PSP are extremely slim, so homebrew is pretty much out of the question. I have both myself.

Johnny said:

The DS doesn't exactly have a lot of good games, but if you have a gba flash cart the DS is definetly worth buying over the PSP. Your chances of finding a 1.5 firmware PSP are extremely slim, so homebrew is pretty much out of the question. I have both myself.

As far as I know the DS has better game lineups atm than PSP does by a long shot. Most major gaming sites have agreed with my stance here

I normally would choose Nintendo over Sony, but the PSP is completely cracked and emulation on it kicks ass. You can freaking put Turbo Duo isos on the memory cards. But actually I'm choosing neither because I don't feel like spending barely any money at all on video games anymore.

Johnny said:

The DS doesn't exactly have a lot of good games

The only game I'm interested in playing on the PSP is Mercury.

WarioWare is kinda fun on the DS (but I've been playing the GBA Twisted much much more). I'll be getting Yoshi's Touch & Go and Kirby for the DS after I'm rich again.

I will be picking up a PSP (I'm in the great position where I can claim gaming purchases back on tax :-D). Ultimately, I'd rather homebrew for the DS, the touch screen alone interests me much more than programming for a library-locked-underpowered PS2.

The DS is far weaker specs-wise (76MHz...) while the PSP completely dominates that category (333MHz), but the DS has better games like Chaos Theory (although a Splinter Cell game will make it to the PSP eventually :rolleyes: ). Plus, there's already a port of Doom to the PSP.

I never said the PSP had any good games on it either. I don't favor one over the other.

Caco-Puff said:

lf you ask me Coded Arms plays alot like a new DooM.

Does coded arms come with a required firmware upgrade? If not, I think I'm going to get it.

No idea,But it has a firmware update on the disc,Dont know if It's required.But I'm not that interested in homebrew anyways.I didnt really buy a PSP to play 2d chess games.
Edit:It Says update 1.50,So I assume this update is only needed for Japanese PSPs.

insertwackynamehere said:

yeah or rebuy the movie to watch it in lower quality on a smaller screen. i mean has anyone else noticed that while technology certainly can do a lot more things than it used, the demonstration of it is mundane and stupid and redundant? i mean, sure you COULD watch a movie on a tiny screen after rebuying it, or you could watch it on a nice big screen with dvd. Smaller isnt always better, and its stupid how companies are making everything smaller just to show they can. I like things with weight to them, and i like watching movies on big screens, even if i could get a phone which I cant even tell if its in my pocket, or even if i could get a psp and watch movies smaller.

You are American! The point of watching movies on the PSP is just like the gaming part, it's for when you're on the go and bored.

Personally though, I wouldn't watch good movies on it either.

I think it'd be a good idea for Sony to offer television shows like Simpsons, old Seinfelds and other video where format (screen size and audio) isn't too important.

As far as cracking a system and running whatever hell you want and everything, PSP is the portable equivalent of the X-Box.

insertwackynamehere said:

The point isn't that you watch all your movies on the PSP. I've been in situations many times (on a plane/train journey for example) where having a small portable DVD player would be really useful.

They showed that Kirby game on G4, and I have to say it looked fucking awesome.

fraggle said:

The point isn't that you watch all your movies on the PSP. I've been in situations many times (on a plane/train journey for example) where having a small portable DVD player would be really useful.

I would have to second that. I've already found times where taking my PSP out to watch movies in an effort to relieve my boredom (mostly at work). And the last time I went to Japan the movies on the plane didn't really interest me, not to mention the low number of them. When I go back now, I'll at least be able to stay more entertained for that 13 hour flight.

Having a few movies for PSP ends up being quite helpful, especially since the movies I have for it I've never owned before.

PSP every time.

Every fucking time.

A mate of mine has imported one early from Japan and I'm here to tell you it roxored my boxors.