Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pure Hellspawn

Armadosia Megawad Demo

No Armadosia demos as yet. It's a nice wad, but not hugely demo-friendly, and some maps are only marginally playable from a pistol start (e.g. map11, IIRC).

There are also some little bugs (or at least some possibly port-specific issues), and the possibility of a rerelease, which tends to put people off recording too.

is this released? is it in newstuff? I just tried looking for it.

Yea my IZarc program keeps telling me it has a bad zip header... I dont want to extract it if it has problems...

What's the size of the file you downloaded? It should be 9.92 MB. You could try using a download manager if you're not already doing so.

No i got it to work.

Somehow the file got corrupted and actually didnt fully download.

I think i'm seeing a bug... in map24, i think its impossible to get that blue key as the gate keeps closing on it every time you go in that room...

i'm thinking i'm going to clip so i don't get regally ticked at that VERY last part.

If you're sure this is a bug, then remember to report it to the author.

FYI, here is a bug report I sent to him some months ago:

I'm slowly working my way through Armadosia, and have a couple of bugs to report. I have been playing with a purely limit-removing port (GLBoom with -complevel 0), so these issues probably also exist in other ports that don't change the basic workings of the game (Eternity with its default options, probably jDoom, and Boom with orig. comp.).

On map05, I got trapped in Sector 505. The door (Sector 509, tag 48) closed behind me, and there was no way (as far as could tell) to open it (this was after about 40 minutes of carefully fighting my way through this tricky map). I'm not sure what caused this, and when I tried to test it (running through the map with no monsters, etc.) I couldn't get it to happen again. If you can't identify what the problem is, then you could provide the player with a way to reopen that door just in case it happens again.

On map07 there is a serious bug. For some reason, some ports have changed the way tag 667 works. If you play this map with a purely limit-removing port, then the walkway to the exit only rises half of the intended difference. I believe this is because the way it works is to rise by the height of the lower texture. OK, there are ways for the player to get around this, but they involve tricks that aren't guaranteed to work (archie jump, or killing the last two arachnotrons almost simultaneously) and/or make maxkills difficult, and if you don't know about the problem in advance, you're likely to be left trapped in the map. It would make most sense to change the mechanism so that it works in as many exes as possible.

There are no deathmatch starts. Sure, this wad isn't intended for deathmatch, but if you just shove some deathmatch starts in each map, then at least it won't crash if for some reason someone loads it up in DM mode.

Health is extremely tight, especially early on in some maps. Perhaps you intended it that way, and I haven't so far found any that are unplayable, but I think it is overdone quite a bit, and makes some maps something of an ordeal. Maybe you didn't intend the maps to be played from a pistol start, but if so, that greatly reduces the wad's replayability and its attractiveness to demo recorders. A tiny bit more health, armour and ammo near the start of some of the maps would make them much more fun to play.

As I mentioned above, Map11 is perhaps the worst example of a map that clearly isn't designed to be played from a pistol start: there are rockets and cells, but no weapons provided to use them. It might be possible to exit the map (I've made it most of the way through), but some luck would be needed to get all the way through, and it might not be feasible to kill everything.

nah, it wasnt. what had happened was the switch opened a set of bars way deep in another area...

In order to get Armadosia to run with PrBoom at all, I needed to put -forceoldbsp on the command line, to stop it reading the GL nodes. Otherwise it just segfaults on entry to any map.

I suspect this will only be an issue if you build from source and don't enable GL mode at all, but anyway. You could delete all the GL_* lumps from the wad, if you know you're never going to use them.

I hadn't noticed that problem, as I use -complevel 0 or -complevel 1 by default (in glboom 2.2.6) rather than the default (-complevel -1), and so had no problems of that type when running it with glboom 2.2.6. (With the lower compatibility modes, GL nodes are ignored, given that they weren't used by the exes that prboom is attempting to emulate.)

Another solution to the problem is to rebuild only the GL nodes. Then it works OK with -complevel -1 (the default), and it doesn't change the normal nodes. (I've tested that with glBSP 2.1.0, using "GL Nodes only", "Don't clobber REJECT" and Factor = 7.)

RjY said:

I suspect this will only be an issue if you build from source and don't enable GL mode at all, but anyway. You could delete all the GL_* lumps from the wad, if you know you're never going to use them.

I wouldn't bet on that, since with -complevel -1 it loads the GL nodes even with the software renderer (presumably for compatibility purposes).

More on complevels and GL nodes here.

just finished this set, and it is quite amazing! especially for the website it was at, this was a surprise. Insane amounts of gameplay and just wow... never played something that took this long. Next closest would have been Eternity, then AV.