Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
deathz0r

The /newstuff Chronicles #244

I believe the real issue is the fact that people have gotten so used to intricatly detailed maps that any map that is relatively simple in design is automatically rejected as a terrible map. Alot of the very first custom maps were hailed as great even though they were not very detailed, most of them were DooM levels reduxed. But now technology has advanced so far and level design has become so detailed that anyone who is just starting out has a rough time because the community's expectations are extremely high. If one of the doom 2 levels never existed like let's say map30 and someone released it as a custom map today...monster spawning aside it would be bashed to no end just because it was a simple map. Alot of people expect to have extremely detailed maps and they're forgetting what really matters....the gameplay. It's all about the fun. We play Doom and Doom 2 still because 12 years later it is a still a fun game to play. To today's standards doom and doom 2 graphics are horrible, uninteresting, undetailed, but we still play it because it's fun....and that's all that really matters at the end of the day....was this map fun.

*EDIT* I was in the middle of posting this when blackfish made his reply. So in a nutshell what he said =).

-SlatheDoomer

I had a good time at FNF with the LMS megawad, but I have some minor gripes. First, I hardly enjoyed the crate maze at all. Second, some of the maps had some flow issues in the form of very small outcroppings you could get caught on. Staying away from the walls to avoid this kind of thing limits the usable area of a map.

But I guess that's the nature of the beast with detailed maps...

sargebaldy said:

I wish someone in the community still made vanilla/Boom-compatible maps.

Well I hope to make an updated rlease of NHFL Ep II sometime soon..("hope" being the word there)

Szymanski said:

Toxin refinery is a good map in need of more stimpacks and chaingun ammo.

You're right, but also, I felt that it had a wonderful, updated design. It had a better design. I would like to see someone remodel E1 for a source port.

DooMer87 said:

You're right, but also, I felt that it had a wonderful, updated design. It had a better design.

Thanks im planning to update it in the near future, going to make skill levels for it.
Currently im udating titan426 and altar666, make better skill levels for these also it shouldn't take me too long.
Actually titan426 had skill levels but when I played it again, I discoverd some more small bugs in there.
So I decided to give this one a small makeover too, and im gonna kick those stealthy's out.
My other map is on hold for the time being, don't worry it will get released some day.

Btw: what did you do to deserve that custom title, it looks funny :)

(E1M3: Toxin refinery)Kinda reminds me of the e1m7 revamp I did called Timelessness..But this one is way better than the one I made.

Given who was reviewing this week, I'm suprised my wad got out alive. I mean, look at all that copy and paste!

Scuba Steve said:

Nope. Gimme the pretty thing, I've been playing Doom for 12 years... it's all the same, only the looks change.

I think that's just your ADD kicking in.

I've been playing 10 years, and I've seen all sorts of pretty maps - but the ones I stick with are the ones that are genuinely fun to play that may or may not have tons of detail. I like to think of detail as a "bonus" to an already good playing map in the way that it's not necassary for it to be entertaining but only adds to the overall experience.

Schneelocke said:

Oh, wow, great reviews. Let's just bash the KDIZD team for doing something they like instead of trying to suck up to you, and while we're at it, let's also criticise that E1M3 remake for having too much detail.

KDIZD team acted like retards, so they're getting treated like retards.

Oh yeah, and you can have all the detail you want, you can have 18,000 fucking sectors in a map, but that isn't going to make it good. If detail were important as some asshats treat it, we wouldn't still enjoy playing classic Doom and there wouldn't be "E1M2 style maps" and crap still being made.

Hello, what should I do to my next map to make it to more people's liking. I just wanted to know so i can do better on my next map.

SlatheDoomer said:

Hello, what should I do to my next map to make it to more people's liking. I just wanted to know so i can do better on my next map.

That is a bit of a vague question. First you'll need to decide on an idea...no-one can do that for you except yourself. The more original the idea, the better. But this is not essential, I'll admit. Then once you have an idea to base everything on, build around it, decide on a theme, make it consistent but not repetitve.
Gameplay comes last...and once again you need to have an idea on how it's going to play. Will it be strategic, an all out blood-fest, intense, relaxing...it really is all up to you.
Once you have your ideas and have started work, that's when to come to people for advice either here or Wad In Progress.
Good luck with your next project, I look forward to seeing it

Vile1011 said:

Given who was reviewing this week, I'm suprised my wad got out alive. I mean, look at all that copy and paste!

I didn't found that boring to look at, it still was an excellent wad to play.
Ive played it a few days ago and it gave me the feeling I was playing doom 3.
That scriptng you did was nicely done, that mirror those flames the red marbface scary man.
Those textures alignments prevented me from giving it an 5 star rating, still it deserves 4,5 stars.
I wonder what else is on your hard drive :)

dutch devill said:

Btw: what did you do to deserve that custom title, it looks funny :)

Well, heh, i claimed to be a lawyer when i really was a lawyer's assistant. I will be a lawyer after law school, though.

I just tried playing Sanity. I tried both .63a and 96a for ZDOOM, no cigar. All it says is "I recieved a transmission the other day" and then sits there with those scrolling textures on left and right. I even tried hitting the spacebar to skip past it, nope.

What am I doing wrong?

dutch devill said:

I stink at mapping :( E1M3 Toxin refinery was a complete flop, I had this feeling it would.
I wasn't even sure if I should release this map, I hope to do better on my new one.

Compared to my first bunch of maps your map looks absolutely amazing, I think that after a few more maps you will become a really great mapper. Also, getting rave reviews early isn't the best incentive to improve your skills, now is it? Looking forward to your future work.

b00mb0dy said:

I just tried playing Sanity. I tried both .63a and 96a for ZDOOM, no cigar. All it says is "I recieved a transmission the other day" and then sits there with those scrolling textures on left and right. I even tried hitting the spacebar to skip past it, nope.

What am I doing wrong?

K, got past that part, now in map 2, after hitting the switch after getting the yellow key (the one that lowers the brown bars) what's supposed to happen? Or what am I supposed to do? Or is that where the map becomes unfinished? At any rate, there are some clipping issues in the yellow key room as well, but I understand, the map is unfinished.

Sorry the megawad didn't materialize, that'd been sweet.

Erik said:

Compared to my first bunch of maps your map looks absolutely amazing, I think that after a few more maps you will become a really great mapper. Also, getting rave reviews early isn't the best incentive to improve your skills, now is it? Looking forward to your future work.

Well I take comments/feedback seriously, I really want to improve my mapping skills.
Ive been mapping for at least five years now maybe more, I didn't released much though.
Only the ones from which I thought it would be good enough to release.
When I first began mapping I didn't knew about community's like these, I made them just for my own pleasure.
DooM is just "THE" game for me, after al these years I still love to play it.

b00mb0dy said:

K, got past that part, now in map 2, after hitting the switch after getting the yellow key (the one that lowers the brown bars) what's supposed to happen? Or what am I supposed to do? Or is that where the map becomes unfinished? At any rate, there are some clipping issues in the yellow key room as well, but I understand, the map is unfinished.

Sorry the megawad didn't materialize, that'd been sweet.

The map is completable, so I have no idea what's going on here. When the brown bars lower, just run into the next room and grab the blue key.

dutch devill said:

Well I take comments/feedback seriously, I really want to improve my mapping skills.

Keep at it, I like your original work much more than Toxin Refinery, not that it was a bad effot at all in my opinion. I just don't care for the rehashing stuff. Play lots of maps, get into wads you haven't played yet and enjoy the editing styles. They can have an influence on your work.

Caco-Puff said:

Wait,King REol the douche that got banned from the SA forums? He mapped for DooM?

The news train just passed your station..

SlatheDoomer said:

I waited a week for a two sentence review(Kaotic). Gee thanks man. I guess i'm just disappointed in myself. I thought I did alot better with this map, but it just sucks as bad as my last one. *Sigh* I guess a beginner mapper shouldn't submit anything to /newstuff until they have an Evilution wad on they're hands.

Thanks for even booting it up to look at, Good reviews on everything else though.

-SlatheDoomer

Ditto. Same with my MOTRBATH wad. Master peice of crap? WTF?! Also, the review lacked any detail except the part about bitching about the ammo supply. I dunno if a "good map" in Dethzor's opinion is one crammed with ultra-detail
in every possible view, but a good map dosen't need to look as fancy as a crystal chandelier(sp?) in the throne room Buckingham Palace. I concentrated more on a realistic atmosphere which usualy dosen't look all that fancy.

balanco01 said:I dunno if a "good map" in Dethzor's opinion is one crammed with ultra-detail
in every possible view, but a good map dosen't need to look as fancy as a crystal chandelier(sp?) in the throne room Buckingham Palace. [/B]

Yeah, that deathzor, he sure loves his detail. That's why he can't wait for KDIZD to come out and often rates maps strictly by how many sectors the author can fit into a 128 x 128 area.

(apologies to those with extra-sensitive sarcasm detectors)