Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
cycloid

infighting and dehacked

i've got a new monster based on another monster. problem is that when they're in a herd infighting ensues almost immediatley upon them seeing the player. is there a way to stop infighting? IIRC the lost souls and pain elementals infight so i dont expect swapping my monster defs for them two will help. thoughts?

You could base two *projectile* monsters on Barons and Hell Knights - they never attack each other unless tricked (with barrels) or unless made to fire bullets.

I'm quite sure you can't prevent infighting with Dehacked, but (offhand) you can use mBf/SmMu/PrBOoM/EtERnITy port, which lets you prevent infighting. Speaking of modern ports, you are now able to use a complex mod system. AFAIK Eternity and ZDoom use advanced definition files that really surpass the Dehacked format - somehow similar to DOOM 3 (I haven't checked it thoroughly tho-I may be mistaken.)

well so far it's mbf+ compatible (i.e. all "modern" ports but winmbf is the baseline) so i'd be interested what boom dehacked extras there might be aside from the bit mnemonics and ability to assign actions to null states etc.

Have you tried adding

Monsters Ignore Each Other = 1
in the Misc 0 section of the Dehacked patch? That's how Enjay got the marines to ignore each other in Marine Assault.

TheDarkArchon said:

Monsters Ignore Each Other = 1

I think that's a feature that did indeed first appear in MBF but was then added directly to ZDoom's expanded BEX format. In MBF you have a menu option to disable monster infighting, which can also be forced through an OPTIONS lump in any wad. Yet, in both cases this is a generic no infighting rule that will affect all the monsters.

The only pair of monsters that consider each other of the same "race" in Doom, Boom and MBF are, as Ebon said, the Baron of Hell and the Hell Knight. So unless you do without one of those two, you can't add a similarly related pair of monsters.

right but i could swap them two for my current two (would changing the id's round do it or would that be too easy?) thus allowing my knigkts and (altered) barons to infight but not my other pair, couldnt i?

i need to do quite a bit of rearranding anyway as i reincluded all the zombiman sprites before realising i could have replaced the sprites for the monster it was replacing and swapped their sprite refs over. doh!

cycloid said:
right but i could swap them two for my current two (would changing the id's round do it or would that be too easy?) thus allowing my knigkts and (altered) barons to infight but not my other pair, couldnt i?

What matters is the Thing Number (not the ID #, which is used as a map reference.) So you need to swap the stats of the monsters (generic, sounds, frames, and bits) around. If you wanted, for instance, an ÜberImp, you would give The Baron of Hell and the Hell Knight ÜberImp and Imp stats respectively, and then turn the Imp into a Baron of Hell and perhaps the Commander Keen into a Hell Knight (though these two would infight regularly.)