Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Kevin

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice Poll)

Favorite Source Port? (Multiple Choice)  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite source port?

1) Prboom mostly, demos and playtesting
2) Zdoom when I need the extra speed or a wad that demands it (kzdoom, daedalus, RTC-3057 etc)

I have jdoom and legacy for Doom64 and Nimrod but haven't used them for ages. Gl ports aren't that much use for the majority of maps.

Ok there is no engine as good as legacy

1.graphics are good
2.many game options like itemrespawn
3.bots are included and are freakin awesome in dm and coop

I think the best is Doomsday(Jdoom) Awesome Graphics, lacks on some features but its the best, i use it in multiplayer with my friends and when im alone i use Zdaemon.

Skulltag rocks also lacks players and servers!!!

1. ZDOOM
2. Edge
3. JDoom
4. PRBOOM
5. Legacy(The crash bastard)

Night.Keeper said:

I think the best is Doomsday(Jdoom) Awesome Graphics, lacks on some features but its the best, i use it in multiplayer with my friends and when im alone i use Zdaemon.

Skulltag rocks also lacks players and servers!!!

Shadowrunner? Is that you?

No he likes Legacy.

BTW people say that doomsday and legacy have the best graphics, whereas I say they are the ugliest things in the universe. It's all in opinion.

DooMBoy said:

Shadowrunner? Is that you?

No, sorry im not your guy.

Epyo said:

No he likes Legacy.

BTW people say that doomsday and legacy have the best graphics, whereas I say they are the ugliest things in the universe. It's all in opinion.

Yes, its just my opinion, and also its(maybe) a generation problem my first game was DoomShareware(i was 10) didnt like it and when i started to like fps i was used to Unreal/quake3 engines and graphics

And i play doom because its a good game, and the better the port graphics the more will doom look better to me.

Zdaemon is the best. Featuring well over 100 permanent servers, and literally hundreds of regular players, it outpaces all of the others when it comes to connectivity.

It may not be the best-looking, but if you want to play in a community, instead of by yourself or with the same stagnant friends, it's the *only* port.

iori said:

I play doom for the SP mainly.

Due to my inferior connection, playing online is more or less out of the question. So SP is it.

features what features?
jump pads? it has them
its got rain too
scrolling floors
sector colours? that too.
3d water yep its got that
3d bridges? yep even that too

Metal_Sonic said:

features what features?
jump pads? it has them
its got rain too
scrolling floors
sector colours? that too.
3d water yep its got that
3d bridges? yep even that too

That's all?

Not a very impressive list you've put together there metal_sonic. There's more important stuff to put down.

And the 3d bridges aren't exactly sector over sector.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

And the 3d bridges aren't exactly sector over sector.

Can JDoom even do this properly? The only 'bridges' I have seen so far were in the Doom64 TC and they didn't look particularly convincing.

As for the other features: It would be nice if JDoom used a standardized way of implementing this. For example, as it is it's much more complicated to create scrolling sectors with it than with any Boom compatible port. I don't think it's a coincidence that there is almost no released content which uses its enhanced features.

Graf Zahl said:

Can JDoom even do this properly? The only 'bridges' I have seen so far were in the Doom64 TC and they didn't look particularly convincing.

As for the other features: It would be nice if JDoom used a standardized way of implementing this. For example, as it is it's much more complicated to create scrolling sectors with it than with any Boom compatible port. I don't think it's a coincidence that there is almost no released content which uses its enhanced features.

I believe it is achieved in Jdoom by making an MD2 model and defining a thing using the model with a certain radius. So thus, you have your MD2 bridge you can rotate at will and walk on and under. Although I suppose some rotations will be blighted by the fact Doom's bounding boxes are square. Deep water is achieved via a similar effect.

In other words, it's a crude hack. It might work but I'd hardly call that an editing feature.

In other words, it's a crude hack. It might work but I'd hardly call that an editing feature.

I agree it is a crude hack but the ability to add models to an otherwise cubist environment is a very powerful editing feature.

For instance it is possible to build a proper cave with rocky outcrops, uneven floors etc. Granted it is a visual trick (much in the same vein as the traditional Doom tricks) but it is very effective.

It is possible (not that I'd want to mindyou) to build an entire level in a 3d package, output it to several chunks of level geometry, then build a "skeleton" map with floor heights and wall placement matching your model. Then make all the surfaces sky so that the 3D geometry is shown instead of the level geometry.

It probably wouldn't be feasible to build an entire level like that but it can look spectacular when done well and in moderation.

Not to mention that you can blow-up your bridge and see 3D chunks of it bouncing around.

Sounds like a cool feature to me:)

Can you make a small version of this, just enough to give an actual taste of the atmo? That would be an excellent way to demonstrate something that advanced.

Yeah I know. Tutorials and demos are something seriously lacking atm unfortunetly. I have started to put together a whole series of these but I really don't have the time at the moment to document/demo everything that is possible in jDoom.

Here are a few of the ones I've done so far:
(disregard the textures being used as they don't tile and are very low quality)

Skybox Demo (E1M1):
ftp://jfiles@server1.thefourwinds.net/jdoom/skyboxdemo.pk3
Just a simple tech demo showing how to implement a basic skybox.

Advanced Skybox Demo (E1M1):
ftp://jfiles@server1.thefourwinds.net/jdoom/advskyboxdemo.pk3
This tech demo shows how implement a more advanced skybox, with foreground
background and rotating semi-transparent cloud layer. This setup would be best used in creating the sky for a level set in the eye of thunderstorm.

SkyPortal Demo (MAP01):
ftp://jfiles@server1.thefourwinds.net/jdoom/skyportaldemo.pk3
This tech demo shows an example of a "located" sky model to create the appearence of a portal in roof of your room extending upwards into infinity.

Just place them(one at a time) into your doomsday/data/jdoom/auto folder or load them via the wad tab in KickStart.

Danij: Those were my thoughts earlier..... half of the impressive tricks in the original Doom engine were exploits of bugs, or ingenious hacks. So perhaps not an editing feature exactly, but a decent thing nonetheless.

DaniJ said:

I agree it is a crude hack but the ability to add models to an otherwise cubist environment is a very powerful editing feature.

A good example was the zan zan tc which used md2 models as architecture (fountains etc). Effects you couldn't achieve in the editor, and are unlikely to ever feature in the engine.

Quite a lot of the terrain and detailed objects in modern games are made external to the engine, if it works use it.

I'm quite a newbie in this world of new Doom source ports.

I noticed that there are many different ports of Doom available. I'm looking for a one which has good TCP/IP based network playing option and spectacular graphics. :)

I just want to play Doom II and especially the first level. It's a classic.

Can anyone comment on these that which I should look in to?

Which source ports Doom clans use most? Doom Connector program (http://www.codeimp.com/connector_info.php) seems to support: csDoom, ZDaemon, Skull Tag, Doom Legacy, JDoom, ZDoom and ZDoomGL.

So I guess the ones I should look in to are:

- ZDaemon: http://www.zdaemon.org/
- Skull Tag http://www.doomworld.com/skulltag/
- Doom Legacy (http://legacy.newdoom.com/
- jDoom (uses Doomsday Engine http://www.doomsdayhq.com/
- ZDoom http://zdoom.org/

- csDoom http://csdoom.sourceforge.net/
^ this seems like it isn't updated anymore so I guess it can be forgotten

If I'll use ZDoom I guess I should try OpenGL versrion of it because of better graphics, right?

- Toni

if you're looking for multiplayer zdaemon, skulltag and legacy would probably be your best bets. zdaemon has a massive userbase, skulltag has new items and gamemodes, and legacy has the pretty graphics.

I already installed Doom Connector and ZDaemon and tested them a little bit.

It had only one ZDoom server and one csDoom server.

It amazed me that it had massive amount of ZDaemon servers. Like approximately 500 servers.

It had also 11 Skull Tag servers.

How about the graphics in other source ports besides Doom Legacy? eg. jDoom or Skull Tag/ZDoomGL.

ZDaemon looked like the good old Doom, but maybe I'd like the graphics be a little more up to date. :)

Thanks for answer, I hope you reply to my questions.

jdoom is about the most graphically enhanced port around, with support for complex particle systems, 3d models, opengl, hires textures, etc. skulltag looks just like zdoom, and zdoomgl is basically the same thing with the smoothing effects provided by opengl as far as i know.

The "problem" is that the engines that focus on graphics lack some features in their networking, hence they dont play good online as well as others. ZDaemon is indeed popular, but dont be fooled by the number of servers it has, there are only a very few of those servers that is actually being played on. If you want a feeling close to Doom's original gameplay, ZDoom would be the port of choice (actually doom2.exe would be better but that doesnt run anything above win98, if you have win98 and want to try it, some info is here). And SkullTag is a whole different story; It has proven better networking than ZDaemon, but unfortunately it only has a little public and not many servers to show its name in the list. Highly underrated IMO, but thats just IMO, heh.

If you're serious, the best thing to do is to get them all and try them all. At least you will know what YOU like, but also, when using Doom Connector, you can join people with whatever engine they use.

JDoom.

You may also try Risen3D. It has most of JDoom's graphics features but offers better compatibility with maps - including Boom features.