Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ebray99

Doom 3 won't run on next version of Windows?

According to opengl.org, OpenGL 1.4 will only be emulated on top of Direct3D, and will not allow video card makers to author any extensions to OpenGL. That means Doom3, which uses OpenGL ?1.5? (and all Doom3 engine based games, including the next in the Quake series) won't run... so wtf? Anyone heard if this is true or not? Maybe it's just a bad rumor?

Kevin B

Hmm, if it is true, I'm wondering if there's a way to get around this thing that Vista will do. It sounds like they're taking the OpenGL library that Windows uses (wgl, I believe is the name), and emulating it through D3D now. If it's not already possible already, maybe someone will find a way to sidestep this and run Mesa GL or Glut libraries or similar in a Win32 environment.

Well DOOM and DOOM II don't work properly on Windows 2000/XP, so this would just be following the tradition!

Heh, in that case, hopefully somebody will make a Doom3 port or something. That would continue the tradition even further. :P

ZDoom3, anyone? :P

myk said:

Well DOOM and DOOM II don't work properly on Windows 2000/XP, so this would just be following the tradition!

I've never had any problems with any doom on xp, but I use Doom95, not sure if it makes a difference.

Yes, it does (the DOS engines have sound issues on those systems,) and also, on Windows XP the mouse won't work because Doom95 relies on a VXD file (not a problem for those who don't use the mouse while playing.) Although once someone stated the mouse worked for them, although they didn't confirm it afterward (perhaps they were confused, no idea.)

It would be really shitty if it couldn't run on Vista, chances are though, ID software will release an update that makes it compatable. ID software could lose alot of business if their latest powerhouse engine could only be used for 2 years before being incompatable.