Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
alando1

I need a few suggestions for a Mall level.

If you remember my post about some ideas I needed for a new wad, I need some ideas for the Mall idea. I need someone to give me some suggestions to what I can put in this wad and what I can do in this wad. I already have a small idea what I can do but it is not 100% clear. I know you Doomers have one heck of an imagination and I need you all to enlighten me.

-Alando1

Most malls have center courts with water fountains/falls of some nature. High ceilings are usually common in those places as well, mostly with windows at the top.

I somewhat thought basing a map around a Mall idea but dropped it...

Malls have lots of shops with small colorful things in shelves and display windows. That's not to easy to make in a DOOM map while keeping it good looking, and in general such an environment kind of fails it in the mood department.

A spaceship that crashed into the mall.

Seriously, a bit of imagination, please. It's game.
If I am to see people walk around there and me going out to buy juice I might as well go to a real mall wheere 256 palletted graphics and pixelisation doesn't bug me. :P

Darkman 4 said:

Put some sort of Imp whorehouse in there.

Damn it, no, I'm doing that.b

myk said:

Malls have lots of shops with small colorful things in shelves and display windows. That's not to easy to make in a DOOM map while keeping it good looking, and in general such an environment kind of fails it in the mood department.

The shops in Doom City were full of fairly convincing garishly-coloured merchandise. The first map of Phobos has airport kiosks which aren't so far away from mall shops. It's not easy, but with lots of new textures, it is possible.

RjY said:
The shops in Doom City were full of fairly convincing garishly-coloured merchandise.

Ah, thanks, I was thinking about that map before I posted but didn't remember the wad's name.

Dude the TLSDM series had awesome grocery stores with huge-ass drug jars and a women's bathroom WITH A SOFA

Build in some escalators to make things more interesting, maybe some security zones with lasers, and many secrets :P

I have seen escalators in some Doom levels, for example in the recent Jägermörder 2, and hurting lasers like in Quake 2 also(may only be possible in some ports).

malls tend to have fire escape and loading corridors, usually running behind shops and/ even truck-access loading areas within the mall itself. what's even more interesting is that these arent usually guarded with just "staff only" and "fire escape" doors dotted about between shops. indeed in the one across the way from where i work one stairway goes between two floors, plastered and well lit but extends above and below them, the nice lighting and decoration just dramatically gives way to dimly lit breeze blocks! learning these "secret" passages somethimes yields handy shortcuts, especially when it's busy and the escalators are packed and you're only going to the sandwich shop the other end of the mall.

alando1 said:

If you remember my post about some ideas I needed for a new wad, I need some ideas for the Mall idea. I need someone to give me some suggestions to what I can put in this wad and what I can do in this wad. I already have a small idea what I can do but it is not 100% clear. I know you Doomers have one heck of an imagination and I need you all to enlighten me.

-Alando1

Play mall.wad if you haven't already. That's a classic.

In the little storage room with crates that old Mall wad uses the shadowcasting trick for the small window's light.

Give us some screenshots.

I'm planning Xmas Doom 2005, I want to make a full city and help is welcome. I can paste malls and whatever. This goes for everyone. If you want to make a cool looking building, enourmous mall, cars, whatever...use the resources in Xmas2004 and keep the same skyhigh standard.

As I was saying though....give us some screenshots.

Like everyone said, add in lotsa mini-shops and stuff like that. Also a courtyard with a fountain is a good idea too.

Maybe add in a food court too. You can go through the back of the food shops and pick up healthpacks or potions in there. :p

Maybe you can add in a movie theatre too like the one in Mall.wad

maybe have a huge store with really tall isles, so its like a maze of isles, with a few cyberdemons lurking around them.

Foofoo said:

maybe have a huge store with really tall isles, so its like a maze of isles, with a few cyberdemons lurking around them.

Isle is annoying enough without having a really big version or a maze of the fuckers.

myk said:

I somewhat thought basing a map around a Mall idea but dropped it...

not if the stores are mostly dark or dimly lit with random blinking lights and bits of debris in there, like some disaster struck, oh and definitely make use of the maintenance halls behind the stores.
oh and you could use Doom's see-through cage type textures for stores that are closed off like you see in the mall, maybe getting inside could be a secret?

fraggle said:

Isle is annoying enough without having a really big version or a maze of the fuckers.

oh come on shop isles are the greatest things ever. a mall isnt a mall without some shop that has huge isles. you KNOW this. >:(

Wow, these are really neat ideas! I'll wait a little longer to see if anyone else has anymore ideas. These ideas I would like to call pure genius! I knew you all had a cool imagination. I'll be creating this wad soon as soon as the ideas come slowing down to a stop. This doesn't mean you should literally stop. I want to hear some more cool ideas because this new wad I want to build is surely stumping me on how I should construct it.

P.S.: Keep those ideas coming! I love 'em!

-Alando1

heehee, you know how in malls theres people with trays that give out free samples of food? well have them but they give out ammo and health and stuff.

i had an idea.. .. ..

make a shop with a heading above saying food conveyor!!
and as you enter there is a conveyor belt passing food health weapons and.. .. .. .. .. ..MONSTERS!?

just an idea but if you want me to map this room some time just tell me.. .. .. but wait at least 1 week.. i am on holiday (:o)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
- sausage - the mapper with attitude!?

Foofoo said:

oh come on shop isles are the greatest things ever. a mall isnt a mall without some shop that has huge isles. you KNOW this. >:(

Sorry, in-joke. You missed the point.

sausage said:

i had an idea.. .. ..

make a shop with a heading above saying food conveyor!!
and as you enter there is a conveyor belt passing food health weapons and.. .. .. .. .. ..MONSTERS!?

How many shops have you seen that do this?

Also, you can set your signature in the edit profile page. No need to add it on the end of every post you make.