Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leileilol

Quake stuff

sorry I had to make this, but I can't stand it when people use crap out-of-date ports, and there seems to be a sudden interest in quake here so i'll help guide along :)

CURRENT HOT ENGINES
Darkplaces (current version)- http://www.icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces - pretty much the mother of all Quake engines out there, can do md2/md3/zym and soon md5, does OPTIONAL perpixel lighting, .ogg support, and zillions of new qc features for modders, basically the zdoom of quake, highly recommended.

FTE Quakeworld (current STABLE version) - A Quakeworld port done by Spike that adds a bunch of things for modders as well as players - a master server list, particle system, bumpmapping, md2/md3/hl mdl/zym support, EVEN QUAKE/QUAKE2/HEXEN2 SUPPORT OMG (he also plans to add doom2 support in the future omg!)

Fuhquake (Quakeworld) (site) - alotta "omg extreem" qw players use this, dunno why. It's probably the use of the "omg you cant hax" security module that makes gameplay more fair. It's by no means a "omg pretty" engine

ezquake (Quakeworld) (site) - fuhquake for newbies pretty much

CheapHack (site - IT'S MY ENGINE DAMNIT ITS AT LEAST GOOD FOR SOME FUN SP AND NOSTALGIA

TENEBRAE = CRAP : not just an opinion, but by the fact it's way out of date and people merely know it because the author whored it around as the greatest thing ever (think HERESY). You'll want to use one of the better engines like Darkplaces if you want prettiness instead. (not only he put it like heresy, the author acts like the man behind dre saying "fuck the community" and such)

MODS

The idgames2 archive, unfortunately there has never been an interface for it, but you'll find it where you would usually find idgames

i dunno yet but
http://www.planetgargoyle.com/quakestuff this is my mods ive been modding quake since 1996 hence my super obscurity in doom communitsy!

REDUX PROJECTS

oh wait this isn't newdoom, but i'll link anyway
http://facelift.quakedev.com/

i'll add more to this silly list soon

Do any of these ports do tween animations for the models? It throws me off when I'm moving through a level smoothly but everyone is still running around like a slideshow.

Maybe the MD3 support... are there model packs for that?

Hey Numbermind. I'm not sure about any of these ports but I like unofficial glquake, and it has the blended animations you're talking about. It also has fog with per-component controls (RGB) and bump mapping (you can also control the amount of this) and character shadows as well. It doesn't butcher the feel of the original with Doom3 style lighting or colored lights and shit. Maybe that's what you're using already, idunno.

http://mozart.gamingmuseum.com:8080/Download/glquake_1.13.exe

I've tended to use glquake, and have been pretty happy with it overall, but have just decided to try JoeQuake, now that I watch Quake demos quite a lot.

Numbermind said:

Do any of these ports do tween animations for the models? It throws me off when I'm moving through a level smoothly but everyone is still running around like a slideshow.

Maybe the MD3 support... are there model packs for that?

All quake engines have tween/interpolation now

gargoylol said:
but I can't stand it when people use crap out-of-date ports,

Sorry dude, didn't mean to hurt you, but I indeed used the original DOS thing eariler when I played through Quake again. What surprised me was that through the CFG I could set the resolution to 640x400, an option which is not in the menus. It was pretty important because the menu graphics where made to look good on 320x200, and don't look too good on other ratios. That kind of made WinQuake (that I had used in the past) pointless for me.

winquake has proper speed throttling, compatibility and proper tcp networking, also doesn't crash if a skin is over 200px height (which dosquake does).

I think I still use WinQuake most of the time in Windows. Sometimes I'll use Darkplaces, though. But I rarely play either anymore since I'm not at my desktop as often anymore.

In Linux, however, I have yet to find a good Quake port for singleplayer. Maybe I'm just missing something, though. And that's where I want to play it since I use it at work so often, heh.

Fuhquake rules them all.
Reason: it can play almost any demo -- exactly however you wish.

Caco-Puff said:

Are there any weapon packs? And are custom weapon models easy to do?

There's tons, tons tons and tons, and people back in 1997-98 mostly used qME 3.0 for quake modeling, nowadays we have milkshape, blender and quark for modern quake modeling tools (however it's harder to save as mdl from those)

Yes, to answer the question, there are texture packs and model packs out there -- tons of them.

1. Hmm. Darkplaces looks pretty cool, so does Joequake. Since I got my computer games back, I'll give these a shot!

2. Ooo. Garg, you're a quake modder? I'll have to have a look at your stuff. I just hope I don't find any demongay in any of it -_- (probably will)

3. Yes. Quake is modded. Very, VERY modded. As much as if not MORE than Doom.

You know, I would probably love QDoom were it not for the fact that it runs at 2fps on my machine for some reason.

Could somebody recommend me some good single player levels for Quake? I've already played through both of the official expansion packs.

Already in 2005 :-)

LordK said:

Could somebody recommend me some good single player levels for Quake?

You might find the links I gave here useful.

Grazza said:

You might find the links I gave here useful.

There's also this review place, though it seems many of the review links are busted... at least there are some names to go by:

http://ethereal-hell.telefragged.com/ratings/quake.html

I notice that site doesn't have a review for a short episode that looks very nice, although it's an easy one... Rapture:

http://www.planetquake.com/teamshambler/rev010919.html