Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

A couple of (slightly) advanced vanilla doom editing questions

I seem to remember that there was some editing trick you could do with the plain old doom.exe which would allow the ceiling of a particular sector to appear to have a different light value than the floor. This could be useful for example if you wanted to make the slime on the ground "glow" but the celing to be dark. Is this possible or am I just imagining things?

Secondly of all I was wondering what is best way to make enemies teleport in on the map?

Another question, in one of Requiem's map you see the monster/items at full light but the light at the sector is low, how to do that?

Another, in the old boxing.wad, the monsters can't see you until you hit them, and even then they can attack you, that trick is a mistery form the since the first time I played the wad.

Vegeta said:

Another question, in one of Requiem's map you see the monster/items at full light but the light at the sector is low, how to do that?

I assume with Dehacked you have access to a flag to allow a thing to be "BRIGHT", like the explosions (In EDGE it's a command you can use in the things states)

Another, in the old boxing.wad, the monsters can't see you until you hit them, and even then they can attack you, that trick is a mistery form the since the first time I played the wad.

This is done by "tweaking" the reject data to create "blind" monsters: IIRC Wintex allowed you do to this, but I'm sure there are other programs to achieve it.

Lobo said:
I assume with Dehacked you have access to a flag to allow a thing to be "BRIGHT", like the explosions (In EDGE it's a command you can use in the things states)

I'd say he's talking about something akin to the lighting trick mentioned above; keep in mind Requiem is a standard add-on without any DeHackEd changes.

This is done by "tweaking" the reject data to create "blind" monsters: IIRC Wintex allowed you do to this, but I'm sure there are other programs to achieve it. [/B]

Yeah, or by chance monsters can be blind under certain odd circumstances, as explained here.

In requiem as no dehacked patch is included (neither inside the wad) I assume is something about the reject data, still that's a dark mistery for me. What's the trick give a the wad a reject that belongs to a modified version of the same map?

In boxing.wad sorry I mispelled, the monsters are blind at the begining (like explained there), but also CAN'T attack you, but follow you if are activated with a hit. I'm surprised that even at that early DOOM times someone used such advanced trick. I can post a link if you're interesed, or send the wad if it's no longer in the archives.
I think I saw this trick again in one of these old west themed maps in Maximum DOOM were some zombies are traped in jails, can see you and move, but can't attack you, still you can shot them (no 0 height sector there) if I remember well.

With dehacked and also the new abilities of the source ports such things can be done in diferent ways, still I'm very curious.