Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

The Dark Side of Phobos

ROTT has phenomenal music. The problem is it's not nearly as popular a game, so organizing a project around it would be difficult, and it's just hard to remix to begin with because there's not a lot to expand on.

no matter what people think of this project, i still say it was a lot better than mark mcwane's remixes of the duke nukem 3d music, which was REALLY hit-or-miss.

Darkman 4 said:

People have been listening to the original .MIDIs for years now. Quite a few will consider doing creative things such as adding vocals to the text screen song equivilant and making upbeat and fast songs slower paced blasphemy.

I'm a long time doomer and I had no problem listening to it, it's something new instead of the old doom MIDIs. - Squall

I hate to tell you this, but Doomworld aren't a bunch of "OMG THANK YOU WE LOVE THESE SONGS YAY" types that you think we are. We'll nitpick, complain and say that the remixes lack the Doom feeling all we want. If you want people to endlessly go on and on about how you guys are great, just post this at the ZDoom/Zdaemon/Newdoom/Skulltag fourms. You'll get endless amounts of praise.

I'm not to sure about that buddy...they are probably long time doomers like me. They might dislike it, some will like it who knows.

Darkman 4 said:

I hate to tell you this, but Doomworld aren't a bunch of "OMG THANK YOU WE LOVE THESE SONGS YAY" types that you think we are. We'll nitpick, complain and say that the remixes lack the Doom feeling all we want. If you want people to endlessly go on and on about how you guys are great, just post this at the ZDoom/Zdaemon/Newdoom/Skulltag fourms. You'll get endless amounts of praise.

The DooM community consists of more than just doomworld. I can see we've pleased plenty of people here as we're getting as much praise as disapproval in this thread. We've sent this around to lots of other communities, and you're right, we get much more positive feedback there. That doesn't mean they're all going "OMG U GUYS ROK UR DA BEST!" No, these people have issues with some of the music too. The difference is the way they word their criticism so it isn't insulting to the mixers who spent the time on this project.

doomworld has a lot of old-timers.

you know, the ones who hate anything new, because it's new.

My song on the tribute I gave the URL is : Transfer_ERROR - Redemption_DENIED

Lyrics :
Redemption is denied
The gates have been open
Spreading blood on your way
You'll run for your own doom

Don't go back
Don't go away
Never die
Never escape

Nobody will survive
Cause you're already dead
There is no way out
Once you are stuck in Hell

Don't go back
Don't go away
Never die
Never escape

dethtoll said:
doomworld has a lot of old-timers.

you know, the ones who hate anything new, because it's new.

That generalization is not correct; people here may be nitpicky perhaps (that's for each to judge) but there's no realtion to not liking new stuff in the matter. If anything, it has more to do with the concentration of DOOM-related information found here. People here do dig newer stuff, even newer DOOM things, and also many of the ones that do indeed not like newer stuff much (at least in regard to DOOM, who knows about other things) didn't altogether dislike the album, or definitely did like it.

Also, what is new stuff? The DOOM novels? DOOM 3? JDoom? JDoom isn't any "newer" than ZDoom or Skulltag, it's just that they specialize in different things.

There's a lot of substance on the code, resources, and history of DOOM on this site, and thus perhaps it gets a bit cocky occasionally. But it's not because of a dislike for new things, or anything like that.

the music itself is impressive. My main problem lies with the lyrics of the songs that have lyrics. Dear god, who wrote them? "Come to me, come on, let's hurry!"

Yes, let's do that.

mallis said:

My main problem lies with the lyrics of the songs that have lyrics. Dear god, who wrote them?

I did.

The way the lyrics were written it was meant as someone telling a story, a dark and disturbing story. Then by the "Through the flames..." part you realize that the story teller is actually part of the story. The story grows more dark and hope dims. The story teller asks you to trust her, to come to her, she will save you and you will have nothing to worry about... but when you reach her she turns out to be a demon and you die...

I qoute from my previous post:

Larsec said:

I just wish people would put some thought into it. And by it I mean everything...

Doomworld is a chunk of the Doom community that:

1. Bitches about everything in maps that come out one way or another, whether it's a lack of detail in maps (as though they think we're supposed to be mapping for Doom 3 though we're editing with a 11 year old game that regardless of source ports still is very limited) or lack of gameplay. You will hardly ever win either way.
2. "Losers" it's members and gives out random, retarded titles for fun showing the maturity level of the people who run the place
3. Has users such as Ralphis, Linguicia, and mallis who really are nothing more than gargantuan trolls.
4. Is so full to the brim of mongs and trolls lacking any compacity of intelligence about NOT being selfish and self-absorbed that they have to make fun of things (like Tormentor667's leaving of the place and Nightmare's rightful defense of him and KDiZD or whatever the project was)
5. Has the biggest, idiotic fanboy base in the Doom community, which members like Nightmare Doom who's title says it all.

Does much more really have to be said about who's talking about decent remixes that the guys and girls of OCR put into The Dark Side of Phobos? Seriously. You can't put something out that's anything remotely new, hell you can hardly put out anything period without pissing on someone's shoes because they're just standing there waiting for it to happen.

Yeah...

Xenphire said:
Bitches about everything

You should be the owner and webmaster.

kristus said:

And the E1M8 remix was another I liked at first, but when I listened to it again, I noticed the sloppy/amateurish guitarplay and that really ruined it for me. This is studio recordings. Not live. There shouldn't be such clumsy mistakes.

Haha, studio. I wish I had a studio, honestly. The recording I did was all to a metronome beat on a computer in my basement with shitty software and shitty equipment. Then I sent it to another guy and he had to sync it up and match it to his song. Not really an easy process online.

I can't speak for all the artists on this album, but I'm going to say that not everyone on it is a professional. Some of it may sound professional or nearly so, but in the end it is all done by fans mostly for fans. Mostly as an appreciation for the game. And that's all it should be taken as. I'm fine with it if people don't care for it (I'm not insanely invested in it anyways), but sometimes it helps to be more thorough, helpful, or tactful about it.

Some good tracks, some interesting tracks and a few that were a bit dull. A valid effort considering the source material really only works as metal imo.

kristus said:
The singer being from sweden is a bad start already. She makes all the common swedish mistakes in the pronounciations.

Until I read that I didn't even realise the singer wasn't a native English speaker. Her pronounciation is a damned sight better than the "Estuary English" I hear around here every day, that's for sure!

Thanks to the remixers for working on those tracks, btw; I've still to listen to some of them but what I've heard so far is pretty decent and varied in style. It certainly makes a change from Doom_Doomed_E1L8Boss_OC_ReMix.mp3 which I've played to excess over the past few months!

With that Darkness Dawning music, I can just see a perfect Doom video.

Doom Guy while blasting hell demons away with his super shotgun in a evil cathedral, wondering where that female voice is coming from. And it ends up she was a hell vixen and when she lures him into her trap, she lunges at him and the Doom Marine blasts her head off with his super shotgun.

Wow i'm a nerd with to much imagination. Time to look at the sun for a while.

Larsec said:

I did.

The way the lyrics were written it was meant as someone telling a story, a dark and disturbing story. Then by the "Through the flames..." part you realize that the story teller is actually part of the story. The story grows more dark and hope dims. The story teller asks you to trust her, to come to her, she will save you and you will have nothing to worry about... but when you reach her she turns out to be a demon and you die...

I qoute from my previous post:

well your dark and disturbing story made me wince in embarrassment for you. Get a thesaurus, stop rhyming one syllable words and you'll do well.

edit: and melfice, shut up, thank you.

mallis said:

well your dark and disturbing story made me wince in embarrassment for you. Get a thesaurus, stop rhyming one syllable words and you'll do well.

There is really no need to feel embarrased on my behalf. English is not my first language so that may have had some influence on the outcome of the lyrics... and thank you for the advice. I don't think I will be needing it, though, since I am already doing well. I have been published, both as a writer and as a musician...
But thank you for your input.

mallis said:

edit: and melfice, shut up, thank you.

I feel embarrassed on your behalf. You're making yourself look like an ungreatful loser here. Larsec has nothing to be embarrassed about. His song is great. Elsa's singing is great, and most people love it. I'd suggest making your own music with your own crappy lyrics, but I don't think anyone would want to listen to it.

Yep, that's right. I can throw meaningless insults that don't make any sense right back at you.

On second or should I say fifth listen I think some of these remakes are brilliant. Seriously. I ALMOST would've spent money on it, even. I dig the unique guitar play on Infected Lab, the chilled, atmospheric instruments on Secrets And Lies, the fitting voice samples on Ghosts Of Mars, ...and so on. I hated the singing, but opinions differ. I would've liked an instrumental version of it as well, with a little remixing to give the awesome outro a bigger role.

Thanks for free quality stuff!

I would've liked to hear some of this in the Doom movie. There's a wildcrazy thought. Middle parts of Jade Spawn, for example. Or Ocean Pollen during an intro sequence. That'd be interesting.

The Orichalcon said:

The DooM community consists of more than just doomworld. I can see we've pleased plenty of people here as we're getting as much praise as disapproval in this thread. We've sent this around to lots of other communities, and you're right, we get much more positive feedback there. That doesn't mean they're all going "OMG U GUYS ROK UR DA BEST!" No, these people have issues with some of the music too. The difference is the way they word their criticism so it isn't insulting to the mixers who spent the time on this project.

And I'll tell you why: A "review" of a musical piece can never be 100% objective. It is supposed to be, but music makes listeners feel differently, on an individual basis.

As for me, I have been listening to lots of different music throughout my entire life, and spent a good portion of it trying to make music of my own.

It is obvious that this project was not played and recorded professionally, and as such the listener should focus on the music instead of the production.

But when I listen to most of the tracks, they mostly seem to be a coulple of bars of Doom music covered in pointless, ambient layers of synthesizers. Many songs are also clumsy arranged, and sloppishly played. It kind of reminds me of Orbital and Scorn, but in the wrong way.

This is just my [lack of] taste in music, and I don't want any of you to give up music just because _I_ think it sucks. But if you release a piece of music you have made, people will often tell you exactly how they feel, regardless if they like it or not. This is something I have experienced as a recording artist, and have learned to live with.

Music is very personal, and people are different.
I am a biased, arrogant S.O.B.

Cheers.

Adhesive_Boy said:

ROTT has phenomenal music. The problem is it's not nearly as popular a game, so organizing a project around it would be difficult, and it's just hard to remix to begin with because there's not a lot to expand on.

I agree! I played through the whole of Rise of the Triad about seven years ago, and remember I loved the music back then. Still love it, in fact. I even used some of the tunes in the Wolfenstein 3-D mod I released more than two years ago... 'In the Thick of It' was -and is- one of my favourites.

Guided by a friendly Canadian dude I used to chat a lot with, I was able to grab an MP3 called 'Awesome Remix of Awesomeness', or something with a name similar to that. It was a remix of the tune used in the second level of the original game, if I remember correctly. The MP3 was not complete, but what was there was kick-ass indeed. The name of the file sounds familiar, Adhesive_Boy? :-)

I've downloaded everything that can be downloaded from http://doom.ocremix.org. I'll be listening to the MP3s during the weekend. I'm sure a lot of work and effort has gone into it. Congratulations and thanks a lot to the producers!

Ariel.

So far, it sounds like they did what they felt sounded better, as opposed to what they felt would fit in the game.

The Orichalcon said:

I feel embarrassed on your behalf. You're making yourself look like an ungreatful loser here. Larsec has nothing to be embarrassed about. His song is great. Elsa's singing is great, and most people love it. I'd suggest making your own music with your own crappy lyrics, but I don't think anyone would want to listen to it.

Yep, that's right. I can throw meaningless insults that don't make any sense right back at you.

I weep for you;
Demented soul,
Thy songs are lacking vital spark.
Alas, it's true,
You should be told.
You fail at life
So kiss my ass.

Your lyrics suck a thousand asses
Notes and struture barely passes
Release your shit upon the masses
And wonder why they boak.

You cannot write. She cannot sing.
Combined they make a hellish din.
A cat's arse farting out an anthem
Why you bother I cannot fathom

Here's a hint for future note
Never sing another note.
Never write another ryhme.
Never reproduce, that's fine.
Never darken on my door.
Go away and play no more.
And now I say my fond goodbye;
My friend, fuck off, fuck off and die.

fin.

mallis said:

Your lyrics suck a thousand asses
Notes and struture barely passes
Release your shit upon the masses
And wonder why they boak.

That's terrible. "passes" doesn't rhyme with "masses" in the way you would pronounce the words here. Therefore you're wrong and your lyrics suck.

;)

Edit: And also, "struture"? "boak"? What language are these lyrics in?

Except for TO who did some remixes for Final Doom, these seem to be the first Doom tracks submitted by these artists. Not bad, I supposed. I'm a bit biased on some of these since I've already heard some pretty good remixes for them.