Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindless Rambler

Sky for a Hell based level

Recommended Posts

Alright I know how to make a sky with the special ceiling texture and I have SKY2A from Plutonia but I don't know how to use it as a sky texture, I still only have the standard F_SKY1. I need the red sky for hell! Help would be greatly appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post

Doom 2 uses the textures "SKY1", "SKY2" and "SKY3" (using patched "RSKY1", "RSKY2" and "RSKY3") for each "episode", so you have to replace one of them.

Share this post


Link to post

Mindless Rambler said:
now i have no sky at all

No Heaven for you. Only Hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Mindless Rambler said:

Lol (actually I'm only using sky in hell levels,) but seriously is there any way I can get custom sky?

boris said:

Doom 2 uses the textures "SKY1", "SKY2" and "SKY3" (using patched "RSKY1", "RSKY2" and "RSKY3") for each "episode", so you have to replace one of them.

Share this post


Link to post

First of all, do nothing to F_SKY1. You use that flat to display skies, period.

If you're wanting to use the red sky from Plutonia, you may have to use all of the patches for that sky, in this case, SKYA1, 2, 3, and 4. Otherwise, the sky may not display properly.

Don't take my word on that though. I haven't used skies using more than one patch a lot.

Share this post


Link to post

Are you serious? You haven't at any point noted what you did do to get the HOM or how you had proceeded before, just that you "know how to make special ceilings." Please be clearer or people will start to think you are doing nothing but fooling around, which is common on the Internet.

Because all you'd have to do to use that as the sky for the last 10 maps in DOOM II is to rename it to RSKY3 and put it in a wad.

Share this post


Link to post
myk said:

Are you serious? You haven't at any point noted what you did do to get the HOM or how you had proceeded before, just that you "know how to make special ceilings." Please be clearer or people will start to think you are doing nothing but fooling around, which is common on the Internet.

Because all you'd have to do to use that as the sky for the last 10 maps in DOOM II is to rename it to RSKY3 and put it in a wad.


Well if you read all the posts of the topic you wouldn't need to ask for how I got the HOM effect.

Boris: Doom 2 uses the textures "SKY1", "SKY2" and "SKY3" (using patched "RSKY1", "RSKY2" and "RSKY3") for each "episode", so you have to replace one of them.
Me: thanks but that actually made the problem worse, now i have no sky at all (the HOM effect)

Also "...rename it to RSKY3 and put it in a wad." is what I did above^ and got me the HOM.

Share this post


Link to post

Try deleting everything (new images or stuff added besides level data), and start over again, insert a rsky#.gif or .pcx in an empty wad and there you go replacing a rsky1 rsky2 or rsky3 acording wich episode's sky you want to replace (do not rename anything). Try NWT, it's the easiest utility for that stuff. If still you have the HOM,forget the idea of adding a new sky, the default skies are not that bad ^_^

Hope that helps.

Share this post


Link to post

The reason I asked for specific info is because we don't know what tools you're using nor if you took any other steps that may have affected the procedure. Like, if you were to follow Boris' instructions and already had some issue in the wad, you could still get bad results.

If all you have is a simple wad with the texture lump and you get a HOM, then something weird is happening to the graphic patch as it is lumped into the wad.

For instance, open Plutonia.wad with XWE, look for SKY2A (there's a search on top,) select it, and save it to a folder as a BMP using the Entry menu. Then close Plutonia.wad, create and save a new wad with the File menu, and use Load in the Entry menu to open SKY2A.bmp. Once it's listed in the wad index, right click it and rename it to RSKY3.

Share this post


Link to post
Vegeta said:

Try deleting everything (new images or stuff added besides level data), and start over again, insert a rsky#.gif or .pcx in an empty wad and there you go replacing a rsky1 rsky2 or rsky3 acording wich episode's sky you want to replace (do not rename anything). Try NWT, it's the easiest utility for that stuff. If still you have the HOM,forget the idea of adding a new sky, the default skies are not that bad ^_^

Hope that helps.


I already tried doing that, but thanks for the help. You too MYK. Also I noticed that none of my Doom games have sky anymore. I thought I might have messed up something in JDoom but I havnt touched any JDoom wads...

Share this post


Link to post

You might want to try another engine, and if skies work with it, reinstall JDoom.

Share this post


Link to post

EDIT: Nevermind, just restated some stuff.

Can you tell us the exact steps you are taking to get to where you are? Also, can you tell us exactly what you are wanting to do? Use the 4-piece red plutonia sky in Doom 2?

Share this post


Link to post

Okay, then you need to edit the SKY1 texture in the TEXTURE1 lump to use all 4 plutonia sky patches. Use XWE or Deepsea to add all 4 patches to PNAMES and then proceed with editing the SKY1 texture.

SKY1 should have 4 patches, the first one having an X offset of 0, the second one an X offset of 256, the third 512, and the fourth having an offset of 768. Then finally, make sure SKY1 is 1024 wide.

After you modify both the PNAMES and TEXTURE1, insert those into your pwad along with your actual sky graphics.

Share this post


Link to post

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
×