Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Flesh420

DOOM Board game

HobbsTiger1 said:

I don't have it. Its not worth buying.

yay for assumption criticism, we can all depend on that!

Perhaps I should elaborate. I don't have it. I've played it (local trading card, board game, comic store sort of place). Not the best waste of two hours of my life ever. Certainly not something I'd pay for.

I have it and eagerly payed the $55+ for it. It's definitely not worth it if you play it for it's base rules, which to be honest are lame. However, if you are like me, I've made several tweaks to the rules to make it better, and currently, I'm in the opening stages of creating d20 Doom.

Plus the little plastic demons make great D&D miniatures.

I have bought the boardgame, and to be honest, it's great fun *if* you are a fan of boardgames in general.

We have found the rules "out of the box" to work pretty well, although it is extremely difficult for the marines. But fantasy flight (the developers) have released a set of downloadable difficult levels which makes it a bit more fair for them.

I like the general flow of the game, as well as the exploration. The only problem i see is that there are only 5 missions supplied with the game, and once the marines have played and completed a mission there are no suprises left. But there is an unofficial scenario editor released as far as i know.

The models looks great, and are very true to their Doom 3 counterparts. There is also an expansion in the works which will add more monsters and missions.

We usually play it when there is no time to spend 6 hours on a giant warhammer mega battle, and i would really recommend it to people who enjoy boardgames. Just because you like doom dosen't mean you will like this.

i agree, you have to be a huge fan of board games to like it, but unless your like me who hates them, it isn't worth buying, but I bought it just to have the memoribillia, also the figures are great miniatures,i have them up on my desktop next to their pewter counter parts.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

I have it and eagerly payed the $55+ for it. It's definitely not worth it if you play it for it's base rules, which to be honest are lame. However, if you are like me, I've made several tweaks to the rules to make it better, and currently, I'm in the opening stages of creating d20 Doom.

There is already a D100 doom RPG. I play with Jehar on Sundays over OpenRPG. It's quite fun.

Though I'd like to see a D20 system.

DoOmEr4LiFe said:

Hey all, first post here.

I have the Doom board game and I really like it. It's not the most solid game from a rules-standpoint but it looks AMAZING and it's fun if you get some buds together to blast stuff. The Fantasy Flight boards have a lot of good info for tweaking the rules as well.

Funny you should mention a d20 version of Doom. I'm actually working on a Doom game using a modified set of the Shadowrun 3ed rules right now (which is one of the reasons why I came here). I don't like how d20 handles firearms (especially automatic) whereas that's what the SR system was designed to handle.

I found it fun.

If you check their forums, there's an expansion being worked on for it :)

Hi Folks,

Just finished up a bunch of work on the Doom Expansion last night (I thought we'd already announced it a bit more, or I would've said something sooner, sorry).

I should state first that this expansion doesn't actually get around to including much of anything from the video game expansion, as we're still fleshing out stuff we left out from the base video game.

Anyhow, here's a short feature list (that I remember off-hand):

36 new miniatures

Deathmatch and Capture the Flag play. These modes of play handle up to 6 players and play in about 1/2 the time of the scenario mode. Also, maps are a lot easier to design for them than scenarios, so I expect there will be lots of homebrews.

A new campaign of 5 scenarios picking up where the base game left off. These are shorter, easier scenarios to ensure that we don't have so many problems with the marine difficulty level. I also used a bit more randomness (like the trite ambush from scenario 1) to give a more varied experience in each scenario this time.

10 new marine cards (including Lean and Mean, which gives you Watchful while you have a Dodge order, and Efficient Killer, which I guarantee certain players will drool over.)

A second invader deck (The invader gets to choose between the two decks before the game, but they don't get mixed together).

Airless terrain, airlocks, and oxygen cylinder tokens to simulate areas exposed to the Martian atmosphere.

Sentry bot tokens. Temporary allies the marines can activate and control like the familiars in Descent until the bots get killed.

Other miscellaneous stuff like flame jets, invisibility and megasphere powerups, and the soul cube (a powerful new weapon).

A metric ton of mods, including several of the most popular mods floating around the net (Fully Loaded, etc.) Bits are included to let you integrate my favorite improvements from Descent back into Doom.

Anyhow, I think that's enough detail for now. Gotta save some for later, after all.

-Kevin Wilson
Fantasy Flight Game

I've never really grown too terribly fond of the boardgame.

Come to think of it, Doom tore families from all across the nation from their boring game of Monopoly and got them hooked on blowing up Imps on the computer screen. To slam the whole idea of Doom into what it mocked seems a little... I don't know... Awkward.

But that's just me.