Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

WhackEd2 Questions

Hey, I was just curious how to get WhackEd2 working for Doom2. It says I require a .tbl file for it, but I only have the WAD.

Any ideas?

Ultimate DOOM 1.9 config can be used with Doom II.

Unless you are using a port that doesn't support the BOOM DeHackEd Extensions (Legacy and JDoom are the ones I know that don't), though, I recommend using the BOOM config: It's more powerful and easier to read.

Whacked2 will save your modifications in a deh file. You can run the deh with your wad file in various ways depending on which source port you want to use. If you want to play your deh with the orignal doom2.exe (in DOS) type:
Doom2 -file ???.wad ???.deh

If you want to run it with a source port you will have to select the deh each time you want to run it with the wad file.

Zdoom allows you to store the deh information within the wad file itself as DEHACKED, but then it will not work for other source ports though.

To be honest I've never made an internal DEHACKED file before. I always make my modifications for doom2.exe so there are compatible for all source ports (instead of just for ZDoom).

But I imaging your wad should contain both the MAP01 and DEHACKED entry. If it doesn't, something must have gone wrong. Try copy pasting them together within the same wad file.

BTW, are you using XWE or something else...

m0l0t0v said:
If you want to play your deh with the orignal doom2.exe (in DOS) type:
Doom2 -file ???.wad ???.deh

Eh, doom2.exe is not capable of reading .deh patches directly. You must use DeHackEd to patch a doom2.exe and run the modified .exe.

Btw, the .tbl file that was being referred to is a configuration type file that comes with whacked2 that defines what is able to be modified. If this file is missing or whatever, then try reinstalling whacked.

As for internal dehacked patches, ZDoom, its children (ZDaemon and Skulltag), and a few other ports (JDoom and Legacy I think), will support these. So really you're not limiting your audience as much as you think you are ;)

SlatheDoomer said:

I have the DEHACKED in the wad file. But now instead of saying MAP01 it says DEHACKED. Any ideas?

If you use XWE to insert your dehacked patch, there should be absolutely no problems. You do not want to replace any map header lumps or control entries that pertain to the actual maps (LINEDEFS, BLOCKMAP, REJECT, etc). The patch should be named as DEHACKED. If it's not named that, then it will not load when your wad does. Lastly, in doom2.exe or any other port that does not support internal dehacked patches, then this patch will be ignored.

Tell me, if looking at the wad in XWE, what lumps are present? Just DEHACKED? If so, then you may have inserted the patch into a blank wad... Merge this wad with your other wad that contains your levels, if that is the case.

EarthQuake said:

As for internal dehacked patches, ZDoom, its children (ZDaemon and Skulltag), and a few other ports (JDoom and Legacy I think), will support these.

This was an MBF feature, and is supported in all ports based on MBF, and PrBoom versions 2.1.0 and later. And any other ports that have this feature built in to them, of course.

In fact, are there any modern ports that have dehacked support but don't also support dehacked patches inside wads? (EDGE, perhaps?)

EarthQuake said:

Tell me, if looking at the wad in XWE, what lumps are present? Just DEHACKED? If so, then you may have inserted the patch into a blank wad... Merge this wad with your other wad that contains your levels, if that is the case.

No it has custom textures, sprites, and everything else in it. I inserted the DEHACKED file below MAP01.

TheDarkArchon said:

EDGE 1.29 is able to load DEHACKED patches in WADs.

EDGE now has native support for DeHackEd and BEX patches, both as normal files (with .DEH or .BEX extension), and also as DEHACKED lump in a wad.
Patch files can be added with the -deh option (like in other Doom engines). EDGE converts the patches to DDF, and stores the result in files with the .HWA extension, which are loaded automatically

SlatheDoomer said:

No it has custom textures, sprites, and everything else in it. I inserted the DEHACKED file below MAP01.

What about the control entries that GO with MAP01. Deepsea is the only lump manager I know that will hide control entries, but since you're using XWE you should be able to see them. Under MAP01, there should have been some other lumps (SIDEDEFS, SECTORS, SEGS, etc) that pertain to that map. ALL maps have their own set of control entries. The actual MAP01 lump is just a header lump and (i think) doesn't actually contain any information. You should never disrupt the order of (or delete) any control entries that your map editor automatically builds for you. This can corrupt your map or cause parts not to work. That's why when you move maps around with XWE, you should move them in their entirety.

Hope this helps.
Try starting over from a backup copy of your wad and reinsert the dehacked patch AFTER all the control entries for your maps.

I just started messing with Whacked2. In wads I've examined, the .deh lump is at the top of the entries in XWE, outside of any map info, so that's where I put it never had any troubles.

On sortof a different subject, does anyone know where there is a tutorial for Whacked2? I found Lummox Jr's grab-bag that has some interesting tricks in it, but that's for DeHacked and I can't figure out how to change frames, etc., using Whacked2.

Are you asking for a tutorial on Whacked2 or Dehacked in general? Because really, Whacked2 is not that hard of a program to understand, it's just a matter of figuring out where everything is and what you can and cannot do.

I'm looking for more info about Whacked2. I'm completely ignorant of DOS and can't get DeHacked to run.

Yes, Whacked2 seems fairly easy to use. I figured out how to edit the strings and alter the basic enemy stats, but I'd like to do things like make the imp launch twice as many fireballs, or make the baron throw the mancubus fireball. This seems to require the ability to edit the frames - which I cannot figure out how to do with Whacked2. :(

psyren said:

I'm looking for more info about Whacked2. I'm completely ignorant of DOS and can't get DeHacked to run.

Yes, Whacked2 seems fairly easy to use. I figured out how to edit the strings and alter the basic enemy stats, but I'd like to do things like make the imp launch twice as many fireballs, or make the baron throw the mancubus fireball. This seems to require the ability to edit the frames - which I cannot figure out how to do with Whacked2. :(

Click the states tab that brings up the list of frames you can edit. Double click on a frame to edit it.

Also when I was referring to "dehacked in general" I was talking about the entire concept of dehacked, not the program itself.

That was easy enough! I found the states menu and they highlighted when I clicked but no menu until I hit enter.

I'm having another problem now with sounds. How do I change sounds for those enemies that have several options?

I mean, if I change POSIT1 and assign it to one enemy, sometimes he uses POSIT2 or 3. So I changed all three to the sound I want and still I get one of the original Doom sounds every now and then.

Whacked2 "says" that this sound is for alert, pain, death, action, etc, but it isn't the only one and I have a real mess.

It worked fine just changing one or two enemies, but I'm trying to replace all the zombies, imp, and caco (5 new enemies) and all but the caco have mixed up sounds.

I tried using the sound slots for the archvile and commander Keen that I don't plan to need in these maps, but even then it throws in an odd mix.

Anyway, I have gone through the tables and listened and tried to cover all possibilities and just getting frustrated. :(

Any ideas?

TheDarkArchon said:

Load it in using whatever you use for WAD manegment (XWE, DeePSea, WinTex) and name the lump DEHACKED.

Or, If you know how to use a batch file, make one that loads the engine with the -file for the wad and a -bex with the location of the boom dehacked bex thing

m0l0t0v said:

Whacked2 will save your modifications in a deh file. You can run the deh with your wad file in various ways depending on which source port you want to use.

I was messing around in WhackEd2 to see how it worked and it saved as a .bex file. I ended up making tons of changes to this file that completely alter many of the enemies before I really realized that I'd never even seen a .bex with any WAD I'd played.

What's the difference between .bex and .deh? Is there any way to convert to .deh if having it in .bex format is a bad idea?

RoneKyakone said:

I was messing around in WhackEd2 to see how it worked and it saved as a .bex file. I ended up making tons of changes to this file that completely alter many of the enemies before I really realized that I'd never even seen a .bex with any WAD I'd played.

What's the difference between .bex and .deh? Is there any way to convert to .deh if having it in .bex format is a bad idea?

.bex is just dehacked with boom extensions. Boom introduced a much simpler way of storing the changes that dehacked made. The files are much more readable and easier to edit by hand.
Probably the most significant changes include: the better naming convention for thing flags, so now you have something that looks like "Bits = NOCLIP + SHOOTABLE + NOGRAVITY" instead of "Bits = 4612"; the ability to use the 'Null' codepointer on ANY frame; and the ability to edit strings of ANY length.

Well, that's good to know -- thanks for the info. However, does the file being .bex rather than .deh mean that it cannot be added into the WAD itself as a DeHackEd lump? I've tried and it didn't work. I assumed that was the reason why.

Ah...nevermind. It seems to be working fine now. I must have done something wrong the last time I tried, but I'm not sure what.

Wow! Cool that helped me heaps too (I didn't know DEH could be in PWADS.
In jDoom when you start the level and it displays it att he top of the screen (In-Game) it doesn't change with the GFX I have put int he PWAD and the name changes in the DEH file...Is that because of the engine itself? (Doomsday)

EarthQuake said:

What about the control entries that GO with MAP01. Deepsea is the only lump manager I know that will hide control entries, but since you're using XWE you should be able to see them. Under MAP01, there should have been some other lumps (SIDEDEFS, SECTORS, SEGS, etc) that pertain to that map. ALL maps have their own set of control entries. The actual MAP01 lump is just a header lump and (i think) doesn't actually contain any information.

Well, the MAP01 lump is the map itself according to XWE, as you get a wireframe image of it when it's selected.

You actually need to put the DEHACKED lump above everything else; that's how it is in my WAD, and it works perfectly.

And for the record, my DeHackEd patch is a .bex file.