Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

Sector Height

Hello, Well i'm making a new map and I'm debating on wether or not to make a certain sector only available to get in if you jump. However I'm not sure if it's good practice to do that since jumping is only available in certain ports. Is it a good idea to do that? Or should I lower the sector enough to walk on? If i do that it wouldn't look like the machinery I want it to.

Thanks,
SlatheDoomer

Can't you just put a little box (or something) in front of the machinery so you will be able to walk over it without having to lower the machinery itself?

m0l0t0v said:

Can't you just put a little box (or something) in front of the machinery so you will be able to walk over it without having to lower the machinery itself?

Good idea thanks.

You could use an invisible broken sector in front of the machine to give the illusion that you are crawling or climbing over it.

EarthQuake said:

You could use an invisible broken sector in front of the machine to give the illusion that you are crawling or climbing over it.

What do you mean?

Create a dummy sector, then create a sector inside that sector, rereference BOTH sides to the former sector (merge both sectors), then drag those appropriate inner lines into your real sector where you want that invisible broken sector. The ceiling height, floor height, and light level (of things) of that dummy sector will be transferred over to your real sector. You can do all sorts of things with this trick, including, but not limited to: bulletproof windows, deep water, 3d tricks, and invisible floors and ceiling.

It's an advanced doom2.exe trick, but it's got some nifty uses once you master it. Note: When you successfully transfer the properties of the dummy sector to your real sector, you'll notice the properties of the dummy sector will bleed throughout the real sector. You can remedy this by placing a 2-sided line in front of the broken sector (you dragged over) to block the bleeding.

That sounds cool Earthquake, and something I've been trying to figure out. (this is the same as the invisible bridge in Plutonia right?) Unfortunately, I don't understand it either even after trying to examine the effect in the IWAD.

I've used dummy sectors to have a floor raise to a certain height after being activated by a switch, but I can't visualise what you are describing. :(