Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

You use the F_SKY flat. It's a placeholder to create sky. If you use F_SKY as a ceiling texture, the upper texture won't be rendered, so you can set the sector's ceiling height 1 unit above the ground to get a sky "wall".

You know you can open any Doom maps in your editor and see all this shit for yourself.

If you want a skybox all the way around you and down to the floor, just make the wall be a 0 height (ie. both sectors have the same floor height)

about what "use3d" said..

I looked up a pfew maps in the original doom2 wad to find out how they did it, but i have 2 problems. on the top of the room where there is a sky I see the f_sky1 texture but on the walls I only see exclamation marks which indicate there isn't a texture defined. but when i play the map trough the editor i can see a sky, only it is super streched.

( when i play doom2 with the same wad file as loaded in the editor there is no problem... )

You bumped a 4 year old thread for that? I don't even know exactly what your problem is..if the sky is stretched in game, it's probably cause you're using zdoom and you have the 'stretch short sky textures' option turned on for fools who use the mouselook.

fraggle said:

If you want a skybox all the way around you and down to the floor, just make the wall be a 0 height (ie. both sectors have the same floor height)

This screws up real bad in vanilla.

I know it's 4 year old advice, but people are going to be reading it again.

What if it was phrased differently - "Set the outer sector's floor and ceiling to the same height as the adjacent sector's floor"?

shareware said:

I looked up a pfew maps in the original doom2 wad to find out how they did it, but i have 2 problems. on the top of the room where there is a sky I see the f_sky1 texture but on the walls I only see exclamation marks which indicate there isn't a texture defined. but when i play the map trough the editor i can see a sky, only it is super streched.

Problem #1 highlights differences in the way Doom Builder's 3D mode and the game engine display what's depicted in Fraggle's image. They are both correct.

Problem #2 is mouselook-related - as Use3D mentioned - and was done to minimize the vertical tiling of sky textures that occurs when looking up/down. That can be turned off in G/ZDoom's Display Options.

GreyGhost said:

What if it was phrased differently - "Set the outer sector's floor and ceiling to the same height as the adjacent sector's floor"?

This is what I meant. When you do this in vanilla it messes up.

Does it? They do that in quite a few levels in both Doom games I think. For example in the first level of Doom2. I for my part have never seen this screw up, not in Vanilla or any other port.

What screws vanilla Doom and similar ports such as Boom is making a sector with 1-sided walls and F_SKY1 both for floor and ceiling. Make sure that any sector with sky both floor and ceiling stays inside another. I haven't checked whether the container is required to have a sky.

Zero height trick -- that one fails some times, probably when the vacuumed sector is at the same floor Z coordinate as the yard.

printz said:

F_SKY1 both for floor and ceiling.

This is what I misunderstood. If the floor is not F_SKY1, it works fine.

Enclosing in another sector doesn't help, though, when the floor is F_SKY1.