Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kelzam

Editor's Request

I just came up with this idea today after I got done drawing out my map on a piece of paper. It came to me when I started using symbols and patterns on sectors to differentiate them from one another.

Is it possible to make it (optional, of course) so that when a sector exhibits certain qualities it turns a certain color inside the lines or the editor draws a colored polygon in the editor to fill in those lines?

Let me give an example:

I make a sector in a room and set the first Nukage flat for it's floor. After that, I give it one of the sector types that causes it to inflict damage to the player in-game. At that point, with the option on, the inside of the sector would turn green or become filled with the nukage texture to represent a nukage pit. The same would go with other damaging liquids, and even water just by a sector floor being set to the F_WATER1 texture.

Now, to go a step further beyond this:

Would it be possible to make a mode where the floor textures show up all over the map? It would probably make lines harder to see, but perhaps the lines could be thickened in this mode? For an example of a map like this, see the secondary Doom64 automap (we weren't able to include this in the TC). There's a normal automap, and then there's also a map composed of the floor textures.

These are just some ideas I thought may help various mappers. I don't think the first idea of colored or textured sectors for liquids would be hard to do, but I have no idea about the later.

It doesn't seem like that would be hard to implement.
It doesn't sound like a terribly useful feature though.
I believe Duke3D had an automap that showed the floor textures, but that was ingame and not an editor.

It doesn't seem like that would be hard to implement.
It doesn't sound like a terribly useful feature though.
I believe Duke3D had an automap that showed the floor textures, but that was ingame and not an editor.

Have you ever built a map very compact with a crap load of detail, say, over 1,000 sectors, and tried to navigate your way through it on an editor? The larger and more detailed a map gets, the harder it is to differentiate things between lines that're all some shade of white or grey with an all black background and grid behind them.

boris said:

There's 3D-mode.

Thank you for completely missing the point. Note that you can't draw lines and make sectors in 3D mode.

I like this Idea, Why? Because its a terrible drain on system resources when you have to switch back and fourth to 3d edditing and normal edditing. While I dont belive the option should have thicker lines, I think it should just remove all 2 sided lines (bassically where the textures meet), but make it so that you can still select the lines inbetween the sectors, they will just be invisible till you select them maby? and make it so that you can switch in to this mode with the press of a button like F (for floor) and C (for ceiling). Also, Maby you could make the textures with a transparancey so you could still see the grid lines?

Also, I have a suggestion, that probably will never reach fruituion... Is there any way that a No filter could be implemented, and a join line (click one, then hold cntrl and click another, and then click j)[like wadauthor]? Because Im trying to phase that out... But I find it extreemly difficult to do some things with out those features.

Im not saying anything like "DO IT, DO IT FAST AND HARD, AND MOST OF ALL, DO IT NOW!!!" im just suggesting a way this could be done >_>... to tell the truth I think its a worthy idea that could use more discussion, but ill leave all this up to codeimp. I really hope i dont piss him off or something, cause i feel like im sounding like im forcing this on him... so sorry... =(

I like the ideas myself and could see where they could be useful for people who prefer visual cues. And implementing them would not be hard, and I doubt taxing on a system. Pass the verticies of a sector that needs to be tinted to whatever draws the overhead map, make a polygon, fill it with the color.

Hell, you can do that with GDI+ and get reasonable results (not saying it should be done with GDI+ in this case...I'm not sure what DB uses to draw the overhead map...maybe it is composited with GDI+...).

As for filling it with textures...how big is a Doom texture? I doubt it'll eat memory. Load it once, it can be reused in 3d mode and prevent having to load them multiple times.

Codeimp has already stated before that the 2D renderer would have to be rewritten in order to be able to display flats in 2D mode. He also mentioned that the rewriting would make it slower overall.