Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Kristian Ronge

Nostalgia Hour #2: Metro13 UV Max

Hello all,

I made a max run for Michael "Hoover Dam" Reed's Metro13 in 8:49. This WAD was recommended to me by Gene Bird, so of course I want to dedicate this run to him. I hope you like it, Gene! :-)

It really is a great map. Recorded with PrBoom 2.2.4 with -complevel 0, as usual. Enjoy!

Mercy me. Sounds like a really excellent time to me. My times absolutely stink compared to this. WOW!

Thanks a ton. I just love that map.

Downloading it now.

Yes, great map that I just replayed today. The texture alignment is by the way a bit sucky and it’s not really hard. Bah, fun anyway.
Did someone notice that the two teleporters in the upper left corner near the yellow key are accessible by strafe-jump?
EDIT: just tried it with no monster. Go to the upper left dark building with 3 teleporters. Step on the border of the middle one (you’ll use it afterwards) and strafe jump to the right one. From there, you are now up on the brown building, above a megasphere. Open the door, down the stairs, on the catwalk (meet cacos), and don’t go down after the caco door, just trigger the platfom in the pool (it’s just on the border of the ledge after the door). Go back and down get the megasphere. Hit the switch, wait a bit that the platform is fully up and now use the first teleporter in the dark building. You are now on top on the pool, hit the switch, don’t teleport and reach the metro. RUN!!!
EDIT: I’ve just done it in HNTR, but no demo.

ducon: I thought about a UV speedrun of this map, and now with your tips/route (didn't realise you could access those teleporters early) I just might make one! Thanks, man! :-)

EDIT: Haha, you can even skip the Caco building, as you can jump to the switch over the pool directly from the teleport destination...

Just an outstanding run. What a blast.

That of course, is why I like it so much.

Excellent time on it. Thanks for doing it.

Tons of health and ammo and monsters. A real blastfest.

I'm so glad you liked it! :-D

I also made a UV speed + pacifist in 1:03. Not very polished, but it shows off Ducon's neat trick/route with a few modifications.

Hehe, I was actually aiming for at least 0:59 but that 1:03 was the best I could manage during the short time I attempted it. If I get around to improving it down to < 1:00, I'll post it. :-)

Yeah yeah, all right, all right... Here is a 0:57 (ten minute effort). Happy?

Pity, it could have been at least 0:55 but I wasted time at the first switch. :-(

Anyway, I'm done with that speedrun now. BTW, why didn't you do it yourself? You knew exactly what to do...

You don't need to use the teleporters. You can press the switch from the side, at ground level. Should save quite a bit of time.

God damn it! :-(
I tried that initially, but I never got it to work. Bleh. Okay, stay tuned.

EDIT: I did it with the new route in 0:34. That's it. I am *done* with this run. If any of you find any new tricks (trigger the noclip bug, an alternate exit in the first room...) *don't* tell me, make your own run. ;-P

EDIT #2: HAHAHAHA! :-D

New trick, UV speed/pacifist in 0:26. Almost 40 seconds quicker than the original run...

And now, with no killed monster, and no lost hit point. What? I’m asking you the moon? No please no, not in the teeth! ;-)

Kristian Ronge said:

New trick, UV speed/pacifist in 0:26. Almost 40 seconds quicker than the original run...

Very nice indeed. Four different tricks, cleanly (or fairly cleanly) executed within a 26-second demo. It's also nice that they cut the "dead time" to a minimum in a demo where a lot of waiting around had seemed inevitable.

Kristian Ronge said:

If any of you find any new tricks (trigger the noclip bug, an alternate exit in the first room...) *don't* tell me, make your own run. ;-P

Funny, it had crossed my mind to make that very claim, just as a piss-take.