Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

Need a Legacy frontend and/or launcher

Can anyone recommend one OTHER THAN the one that comes with Legacy? No matter how hard I try, it won't work. What of it, people?

Guest ZZ_TOPPER_X

wH@T da **** are you talking about? Like, what is the problem?

Can anyone recommend one OTHER THAN the one that comes with Legacy? No matter how hard I try, it won't work. What of it, people?

umm, i don't think there is any other frontends for legacy, except legacy connector, but that handles dm stuff. the only other option i can think of from the top of my head is doing the command lines by yourself. it's a very damn hard thing to do.

wH@T da **** are you talking about? Like, what is the problem?

Stupidity cannot be concealed.

folks, we have a new competitor here.

umm, i don't think there is any other frontends for legacy, except legacy connector, but that handles dm stuff. the only other option i can think of from the top of my head is doing the command lines by yourself. it's a very damn hard thing to do.

There's currently a launcher available which centralizates not only Legacy under one GUI.

The MyDoom Frontend handles...

PrBoom
glBoom
ZDoom1.2x
ZDoomGL
Legacy
JDoom
JHeretic
WinDoom
Doom3D
EDGE
Doom4Win
Vavoom1.9

Share everything between the above ports

true, but i think he's looking for a frontend that only handles legacy, not all of the other ports.

true, but i think he's looking for a frontend that only handles legacy, not all of the other ports.

Uhm, it's not a big deal. You can also use that frontend for just one port if you like. There's a file called
doomports.cfg, it holds all the informations regarding the used ports...so if you only want to use Legacy, the below lines are enough....

Content of ..\mydoom\sys\doomports.cfg

$portdefinition("Doom Legacy")
{
&port_id=legacy
&renderer_dir=$appdir\ports\legacy
&glrender_cmd=Legacy.exe
&glrender_par=-opengl
&swrender_cmd=Legacy.exe
&swrender_par=
&complevelfeature=0
&configfilefeature=1
&responsefile=1
&handledeh=1
&handlebex=0
&requirefile=1
&savegame_cmd=0
&nomusic_cmd=-nomusic
&nosound_cmd=-nosfx
&netgame_cmd=-net
&iwad_cmd=-iwad
&savegameextension=.dsg
&savegamefilename=doomsav
&add_cmdpar=-record DemoFilename
&add_cmdpar=-playdemo DemoFilename
&add_cmdpar=-timedemo DemoFilename
&add_cmdpar=-fastdemo DemoFilename
&add_cmdpar=-noflathack
&add_cmdpar=-noidle
&add_cmdpar=-bexout bexdbg
&add_cmdpar=-devparm
&add_cmdpar=-primarysound
&add_cmdpar=-deathmatch
&add_cmdpar=-altdeath
&add_cmdpar=-wavonly
&add_cmdpar=-avg
&add_cmdpar=-nommx
&add_cmdpar=-noptc
&add_cmdpar=-notrans
&add_cmdpar=-nodrawers
&add_cmdpar=-noblit
&add_cmdpar=-nomd2
}

BTW: if you start the frontend for the first time, it askes you which ports do you want to use. If you select only Legacy, you get it.

NO. it gotta be LEGACY ONLY.. It CAN'T have support for ANY other port..

Why?

BECAUSE ALL OTHER PORTS SUCK..

:p (fyi, I don't think all other ports suck)

NO. it gotta be LEGACY ONLY.. It CAN'T have support for ANY other port..

Why?

BECAUSE ALL OTHER PORTS SUCK..

:p (fyi, I don't think all other ports suck)

Gzzm, that is definitively too high for me :-)

No, no, no, I'm not talking about one that handles Legacy and everything else like MYDoom Frontend, I'm talking about another straight-Legacy Frontend, one that loads up Legacy with Direct3D or OpenGL graphics, UNlike the one that comes with Legacy.

No, no, no, I'm not talking about one that handles Legacy and everything else like MYDoom Frontend, I'm talking about another straight-Legacy Frontend, one that loads up Legacy with Direct3D or OpenGL graphics, UNlike the one that comes with Legacy.

Hmm, there is NO other frontend / launcher available out there (as far as I know). For sure you can resuscitate one of these old DOS things...no doubt, you will not be very lucky with them.

Of course, if you want to launch Legacy with Direct3D support, you can modify this parameter in the doomports.cfg:

&swrender_cmd=Legacy.exe
&swrender_par=-d3d

Now you can launch Legacy D3D with the 'software' mode from the frontend.

...but is there a r_d3d.dll available ? (I have none + I never saw one)

...further you can add also more parameters, i.e. you wish to have Direct 3D Sound support in Legacy

&swrender_par=-d3d -ds3d

Wow! This is the most I have seen King Elvis reply in one thread...

Yes, sad but true. I remember the day this forum was born...todays there is a lot of trash here...not worth for any replies :(

Hmm. MyDoom looks like everything I could want in a frontend launcher. :)

Now I just have to try it.

Hmm. MyDoom looks like everything I could want in a frontend launcher. :)

Now I just have to try it.

Yes, it has everything...and if you are still missing something, let me know !

The only problem I have with MYDoom is the IWAD copying stuff. How do you do it, and why can't the Frontend automatically detect the IWAD?

The only problem I have with MYDoom is the IWAD copying stuff. How do you do it, and why can't the Frontend automatically detect the IWAD?

These is also simple, there is a 'kdfrontend.cfg' in the frontend's root directory. If you look inside the file you'll see this:

&iwaddir=$appdir\iwad\
&iwaddirmode=1

&iwaddir sets the path where the iwad's are located

&iwaddirmode=0 means there are only the 'official' iwad's displayed, 1 means there are all wads in the &iwaddir folder displayed.

The frontend simply doesn't detect the iwad's automatically, because it would take too long to analyse every wad in that folder, to make the decision of iwad or not.
I think the best solution is to have a special folder where all the iwad's are stored, it's no problem to share them from this location with all the ports.
So the iwad selection list within the frontend is nothing more than a mirror of the &iwaddir folder.
Whatsoever, if requested, it would take not that much effort to implement an automatically detection mode.

[quoteThe frontend simply doesn't detect the iwad's automatically, because it would take too long to analyse every wad in that folder, to make the decision of iwad or not.[/quote]Examine the first byte of each WAD. That's easy and quick, and what most programs do. (It'd at least let you keep *all* the WADs in one directory, without having to sort the IWADs out separately).

[quoteThe frontend simply doesn't detect the iwad's automatically, because it would take too long to analyse every wad in that folder, to make the decision of iwad or not.
Examine the first byte of each WAD. That's easy and quick, and what most programs do. (It'd at least let you keep *all* the WADs in one directory, without having to sort the IWADs out separately).[/quote]
Yes for sure, it doesn't take that long for just a few wads, but if you have a folder with 1000+ wads, it will take very long.
But like I post before, if this is a serious request, I will implement that with &iwaddirmode=2.

OK, it is implemented now :-)

The automatically iwad detection by the header of the wad file is active if you set &iwaddirmode=0, it replaces the display only 'official' iwad's function.

I think I will release this new build of the frontend on the weekend when I'm back.

I hope you get pleased now ;-)

Yes, it has everything...and if you are still missing something, let me know !

Yes, rename it after Elvis, or call it the KING DOOM frontend. MyDoom sounds a tich odd.

Oh, what do you like more, Elvis or Doom?

Yes, rename it after Elvis, or call it the KING DOOM frontend. MyDoom sounds a tich odd.

The frontend was called KING DOOM Frontend once, but from the time it covers more than one port, I used to call it MyDoom Frontend.

BTW: This is also customizeable:

Change the variable &title=MyDOOM Frontend in the kdfrontend.cfg to what ever you want.

Oh, what do you like more, Elvis or Doom?

I really like both :-)