Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
insertwackynamehere

Trance and other forms of Electronic music

does anyone else here feel an affinity to these kinds of music? Its weird I have this really strong pull towards them, which is weird because even before I knew the genres existed and I was a little kid, i did. I'd play stuff on the piano constantly repeating it, and besides the fact it was a regular piano, it *******ly could have been a part to a trance song if a synthesizer was used. I couldnt describe why I liked it, and it drove my mom crazy so I assumed I was alone, so when I discovered Electronic music I was excited. Then I gradually found which types were which and started to have favorite subgenres including Trance. Its weird because I was in elementary school when I was fooling around, and now i know what I was looking for.

So does anyone else feel that way about Electronic music, or any type of music for that matter?

I do.

I listen to a lot of DJ Tiesto, Paul van Dyk, lately I've been into Drum & Bass, Postal Service, Apex Twin.

Also, some not so know bands from Ecuador like Can-can and Maradonna.

Can't think of many names now, but I'll post a list.

BTW, I just saw a nice flash about the history of techno in i-am-bored.com, just look around the first 2 or 3 pages.

I'm more into harsh progressive electro with good musicianship rather than boat-loads of effects and layered synths to sound pretty. Some trance artists, Blank and Jones in particular tickle my fancy.. as long as they aviod the cliches'
Noteable awesome electronic artists:
Velvet Acid Christ
Good Courage
Inertia
Meat Beat Manifesto
Skinny Puppy
The Mission UK
VNV Nation

Ed said:

Velvet Acid Christ

oh yes, and
early funker vogt
decoded feedback
some wumpscut
hallucinogen
cosma
necton
some infected mushroom
early juno reactor

I love just about any kind of electronic music. It's really the only form of music I've ever written. Most of my recent stuff has been sounding like the mainstream Epic Trance (aka, McTrance). Not my favorite kind of trance, but I like writing it. Before that, it was mostly experimental.

I've always been pulled towards listening electronica, starting with disco and them moving onto trance, especially forms of goa/psy-trance, as well as industrial/EBM. When it comes to electronica, I often listen to:

-Paul Van Dyk
-Armin van Buuren
-Push
-Astral Projection
-Assemblage 23
-VNV Nation
-Front 242
-Apoptygma Berzerk
-Omar Santana (best hardcore I know)
-Noisekick (best speedcore I know)
-Kraftwerk
-Yellow Magic Orchestra
-Juno Reactor
-Naoki Maeda
-Silvertear (aka, Ian Van Dahl)
-Ayumi Hamasaki
-Utada Hikaru
-Me

As far as DJs go...
-George Acosta
-Paul Van Dyk
-Omar Santana
-Me
-Astral Projection
-DJ Tora
-Tsuyoshi Suzuki

But at the same time...I dunno about trance anymore. Alot of it has gotten so mainstream and commercialized, it's lost some of its appeal. Although I list Paul Van Dyke above, I also don't appreciate his stuff as much as, say, a lesser known artists such as Avatar, Astral Projection, or Noisekick. But I guess that's just me. Although I don't agree with alot of what he says, I do agree with what Ishkur's Guide To Electronic Music (which is really just good for seeing the interconnections between genres and for getting samples) says about goa: "For what it's worth, the only trance genre that still has some integrity left."

For the record...Detroit Techno still rocks my boat more than any other genre. Jeff Mills is a god.

Pshychadelic trance music is still awesome.

In general though, I tend to like electronic music more and more, simply because the lack of lyrics and the dependancy on 'sound' only makes the music easier to be read and interpreted by your mind. I always thought lyric-less music was easier to interpret and relate to, whereas vocals made it more "exclusive."

VNV Nation, 1200 Mics (Micrograms), Shpongle, Dark Soho...just to name a few.

i'm a big fan of 'idm' (dumb name), ambient, noise, death industrial, and post-industrial.

trance i do like but generally i prefer what i described as "like what okenfold and tong play but instead of being happy sounding it's just plain dirty" to my brother at homelands a few years back whilst on the way over to see Dave Clarke DJ.

afterwards he agreed that it was, indeed, dirty.

Yeah, I love trance, and most of its subgenres. For some types of trance it's the great feeling you get, and from others it's the pure adrenaline rush I get from harder styles.

I really live off the rush of hardstyle, jumpstyle, and hardtrance, though hardcore and its likenesses are a little too much for me. Going all-out on harder trance music is one of my greatest passions.

I also have a collection of albums and sets which can take you to beautiful worlds beyond your imagination, most of them from Armin van Buuren, Ferry Corsten, and the compilation mixes of DJ GT. I also have a growing collection of old Trance Energy livesets - the first major event I went to.

In Trance We Trust

normally I'd say "no", but I really like just about everything I've ever heard out of OCRemix, so if I include those then yeah I can live with techno/trance music.

I can tolerate some trance, mainly from either Aphex Twin or soundtrack off of video games (the game Unreal has a lot of bad-ass trance music).

I can't stand extremely hardcore industrial music like Merzbow, though. Who would possibly want to listen to that?

Well since I have a raging ego, I think I'll list all the electronic music I listen to:

Industrial & Subgenres
Skinny Puppy
SPK
Einstürzende Neubauten
Throbbing Gristle
Front 242
Front Line Assembly
Cobalt 60
Assemblage 23
Das Ich
The Retrosic
DIVE
Kramm
Haujobb
ohGr
Sanctum
C17H19NO3
:Wumpscut:
Rx (Ritalin)
Pigface

Industrial Rock
KMFDM
Nine Inch Nails
Ministry
Sister Machine Gun

Big Beat
The Prodigy
The Dust Brothers
The Chemical Brothers
The Crystal Method
Lunatic Calm(?)

New Wave/Synthpop
Gary Numan
Depeche Mode
Berlin
Vangelis(?)
Various 80s pop songs that I'm too embarassed to admit liking

Darkwave(?)
Bauhaus
Switchblade Symphony

Futurepop
VNV Nation
Apoptygma Berzerk

Other
Coil (experimental industrial)
Download (experimental industrial)
Legendary Pink Dots (dunno if they count, but they have always relied on keyboards and have collaborated with some industrial acts)
Edward Ka-Spell (see above)
The Tear Garden (one of the afformentioned collaborations)
cEvin Key (experimental)
Wendy Carlos (electronic classical)
Vangelis (kind of downtempo, though listed as New Wave on Ishkur's Guide for some reason)
Kraftwerk (electro)
DJ Hive/Hive (drum & bass)

And big ups to David Bowie and Radiohead for experimenting with electronic stuff and excelling.

You can't imagine the debates my boss and I get in over electronic music (he grew up around the Portugal rave/techno festival scene)

Ed said:

You can't imagine the debates my boss and I get in over electronic music (he grew up around the Portugal rave/techno festival scene)

We had one?

So says Nuno.. apparently Europe is a fairytale land compared to the tyranny of our government and lack of the festival.. and medira(sp?) wine. This is a very, VERY portuguese populated area.