Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xanthier

RTC - esque wads

This is my 2nd moan about the RTC hub and how great it was and how sad I am that it is over, I did play it again on and beat it on UV this time, so nothing left to live for...

But seriously I don't know why I love this hub so much, I guess its the atmospherics, and the well laid out storyline that is revealed piece by piece ala Resident Evil.
The storyline explores controversies about life and humanity in true sci-fi style. I really feel a part of it when I play This is the coolest game I've ever played despite the graphics, so the question I pose is...is there any game like this in the doom community, at least heavy on the storyline and well written?

Thanks for the nice words.

I guess this thread would be a nice opportunity to say a few words about the final version of RTC-3057. We have been working on some new features this summer, but there has also been a little progress on the actual levels. Sadly, some of our level designers are very busy with aspects of their personal lives (moving), so we have not had any major developments in this area.

Boris has been working on a revision of the log system, which should work a lot better and show itself to be much more stable. We have some new features that I'm not going to talk about, however I am positive people will find them to be great additions to the RTC world. These features change some basic things regarding the way we handle puzzles and objectives, so we will eventually have to go back and implement these in Hub1. And while we're at it, a facelift for the hub is not out of the question.

The full version of RTC-3057 will take the player through a wide selection challenging areas, revisiting some old locations in the process. We are not going to be changing any major components of the classic Doom game, such as monster or weapon definitions and behaviour. We do hope to bring an addition or two to the monster cast. Even though the first hub did not have any, we will later on present NPCs for the player of which he will be able to interact with. I highly doubt any of these will join you in combat, though.

There is still a long road ahead for this project, but whenever I can get a better hold of our level designers, we should be able to make good progress.

Your welcome Shaviro, your a God among insects-- such as myself. I'm just doing simple doom wads now but through practice hopefully I'll be an experienced enough mapper/scripter to pull off something like this.

Oh and thank you, you and whoever helped write the logs, to take such care and in providing the little details like all the tests on living subjects prior to testing on the dead and so many other things that just establish realism, the story doesn't feel slapped together and written in a vague manner like so many I've read in the past.

That stuff sounds great, anything beyond the original would impress me, I don't think its the kind of game that would do well involving player Npcs but the information you give is exciting, I patiently anticipate the next release and all the added features.

The log overhaul will be nice. I still wonder whose log is dled off that wall
in the science lab.

I'm hoping that the next hub will take us to Mars to locate that FCE installation that will supposedly "answer any questions you may have". You say that old places will be revisited, I noticed that hub1 control consoles had a lot of functions that were inaccessible so I figured as much, such features keep the game fresh and interesting.

I also can't wait to meet the NPCs and new monsters.

I did want to report a few glitches I ran into:

I noticed that the log often cuts off the last few words, but maybe thats cause my crappy computer only supports like 320 x 240 res so the screen is small. also everytime my health drops below 25 I get random word character particles that flicker around on the screen.

Maybe someday someone can remake RTC for Doom 3 that would be like 2010, but if not it still rocks.

and what penguin?

Shaviro said:

Boris has been working on a revision of the log system, which should work a lot better and show itself to be much more stable. We have some new features that I'm not going to talk about, however I am positive people will find them to be great additions to the RTC world.

I can confirm that ;)

Xanthier said:

also everytime my health drops below 25 I get random word character particles that flicker around on the screen.

My guess is, that's intentional - at higher resolutions, when it's harder to read those letters, it appears more like static (your character's visual input system is losing connection).

ohh, that never occurred to me, it just slowed me down so moving was difficult, of course a room full of enemies had the same effect, can't wait to play it on a decent comp.