Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xanthier

A problem with floors...rising ones

I recently tried to implement a trap in which I cross a tripwire on a landbridge and platforms rise with enemies on them, however I noticed that only one of my platforms would rise, the one that is directly against the bridge.

I suspected this is because the defintion was, raise to next higher floor, so it needed to be adjacent to the floor that has the height I want.
I connected them and it works, my question is, isn't there a way to do it without having to do this?

I'm pretty sure in the original doom that I saw platforms rise out of the ground that were islands, I thought maybe this is an unlisted definition or something. If not the other way will have to suffice.

Thanks guys, your always so helpful.

Use Dummy sectors. Have two small sectors outside of your map, both connected to each other. Have one sector reference to the sector in the map you want to raise, and have the other sector set at the height you want the other to rise.

how do I reference a sector to another, do I use a linedef?

okay so I create two adjacent sectors outside the map? then I make one the height that I want my other sector to raise to, right? now how do I refer these sectors to sectors far away that are standing as islands in a room?

I already have sectors that are supposed to be adjacent within the room, can I just use these and reference them to my islands?

The one sector's lines will have the same sector numbers as the sector you want to raise.

ravage said:

The one sector's lines will have the same sector numbers as the sector you want to raise.

okay so let me get this straight, the sector I want to raise must have its lines tagged the same as the tripwire and the target sectors? did I understand you correct?

here's a diagram i slapped together to demonstrate my problem, the dark gray sector raises fine, the pillars do not, I have red arrows pointing where I think you want me to tag the linedefs. the yellow is the tripwire and its on the sector that all the others should raise to.

if what your saying will work, I will probably need to flip the linedefs.

I don't understand your last post, but I'm pretty sure I understand the one previous to that.

how do I reference a sector to another, do I use a linedef?

okay so I create two adjacent sectors outside the map? then I make one the height that I want my other sector to raise to, right? now how do I refer these sectors to sectors far away that are standing as islands in a room?

I already have sectors that are supposed to be adjacent within the room, can I just use these and reference them to my islands?

You can reference them by "merging the sectors".

1: Select the islands that you want to raise and select the dummy sectors that you want to raise.
2: Find a button/ option that sais something like "merge sectors" in your map editor (I know DoomBuilder has one).
3: finished

okay thanks, I see how that one would work molotov, thanks again quake I'll check that out, you guys rock.