Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fredrik

Favorite programming language(s)

i lack the mental capacity to program. i dont understand the fundamentals of it and cant grasp the concepts.

needless to say i got a B in java 1 and an A in java 2 by turning in 0% of my work.

the only language ive tried is java :|

Goat said:

i lack the mental capacity to program. i dont understand the fundamentals of it and cant grasp the concepts.

Here here.

Fredrik said:

Not until someone mentions var'aq.

Rofl.

So far, I only tried Basic and C++, and I can't even do Basic. :|

Epyo said:

I only know acs!

I know
basic (some)
vb (some)
html (quiet you)
acs (some)
c++ (see acs and cout("Hello World");)

C, because I're read it more than any other.

There seems to be an inverse relationships between languages I like (ruby, haskell) and useful things I've written (almost all in C).

I know a little Basic. I think I prefer it to the overcomplicated mess that is C, and don't even get me started on those darn braces and semicolons.

Yes, braces and semicolons suck. They provide information neither for an automatic nor a human parser, so why do so many languages insist on slowing programmers down with them?

I know some basic (of the quick and visual varieties) and C/C++.

I like visual basic because of its ease and quickness, php because of its dynamic web applications, and c/c++ because it's powerful, widespread, and easy to write programs across different systems (although I don't know much of it).
I would like to learn python.

Fredrik said:

Yes, braces and semicolons suck. They provide information neither for an automatic nor a human parser, so why do so many languages insist on slowing programmers down with them?

Separation of functions.

C# (mainly with Mono and Gtk#), GNU C++, nasm x86 assembly, VB6 (I hate VB.Net), TI-Basic for the TI-99/4A, Bash shell scripting, and Perl are probably my favorites. And I don't know them, but I want to learn COBOL and this one programming language that actually uses Japanese characters (it's based on forth. or rather, fourth based on it is).

I know some others, but don't necessarily like them. The other .NET languages, for instance. And Java.

I mainly use C#, C++, and Bash. Perl is slowly replacing Bash ;)

Fredrik said:

Just historical, C became very popular and then C++, and Java/C# copied the same syntax.

One language I admired for its very good, clean design was Modula 3. When I read the specs, most of the time I was thinking "yes, that's how it should be". Shame it never caught on.

Delphi. Because its an incredibly easy language and powerful to boot. No such thing as compile time.

Qbasic (and, since a few days ago, FreeBasic) because that's the only language I'm capable of coding at least something. I suck pretty much in programming though, and my biggest achievements are a hangman game with horrible graphics and a converter from tasdoom to doom2 demo format (hate watching with tasdoom.exe).

Since this is so irreverant, may I just say, I hate PHP, just about every large-scale PHP program I've seen is a pathetic joke and the people who maintain them are blissfully unaware of how rubbish they are. I filed a bug on a PEAR app the other day where the very first page of their documentation expressed a bug in the API which resulted in a blank page. The cause of the bug? Calling procedure that was never defined. Of course that's a silent error in this circumstance.

Don't get me started on wordpress security.

Another pet hate: the abuse of the term 'function'.

C++ is my favorite language. All the flexibility of C PLUS all the organizational power of OOP. Templates are a huge bonus too, since they keep you from rewriting the same code over and over for all your types. Eternity now has about 40 different hash tables with about 4 different implementations -- unable to effectively factor out the issue of type in the hash linking and lookup algorithms, I have to settle for this. In C++, it could be easily eliminated.