Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Skeletor

is agp dead?

I was thinking about buying a new CPU and mobo so I went searching for a 3.4 intel p4 but...I can't find any mobo's that have an agp slot that would support that cpu. All of them are pci and pci express. I looked at the pictures...does the pci express slot look exactly like the agp? cause i saw an expansion slot that looks like an agp but im guessing its pci x16.

that sucks...i bought a geforce 6800 agp last year.

You always have used-stuff stores and eBay (or alikes.)

Like "isa" survived a couple years into "pci" and pci a couple years in the shadow of "agp" agp probably (limited like the latter) should have a year or two in the shadow of pci express. i would imagine. more so with video cards when it comes to hardware, the previous generation usualy overlaps somewhat. maybe that trend is narrowing i dont know. but if history has a way of repeating itself, then yes.

pci didnt stay in the shadow of agp, agp was just dedicated to video cards. pci was everything else

Goat said:

pci didnt stay in the shadow of agp, agp was just dedicated to video cards. pci was everything else

but PCI video card's did, what did you think i was talking about modems? with the nature of this thread being "is agp dead" sounds very "video card-ish" to me. there was isa video cards, pci video cards, agp video cards, now pci-express video cards. and as a matter of fact before worrying about if agp is dead in the sense if you can still find them or not, well you can still buy brand new pci video cards thru retailers such as compusa. leading to the conclusion that the pci slot based video card market is not completly dead, nor will agp be for quite some time. i should clarify: even though there phasing out the actual "motherboard slot" (agp slot) more than likely they will still be available for quite a while.

but pci video cards are different because every motherboard has pci slots, the thing with agp is that motherboards will start phasing agp out. pci card are still available because motherboards will always support them as long as they support pci. agp on the other hand is a special port which may disappear in which case video cards wont be made for them.

Well yeah they allready are disappearing, in that sense i see your point. but if manufacurers still see a market for the guy who wants to upgrade an older computer, or who purchases one they will still want that market. legacy technolgy has a way of hanging on for a surprising long time when it comes to computers. and at that regarding isa/pci/agp i dont see the industry breaking presidence any time soon.

i know the use of agp isn't really dead...but it seems like they are not making mobo's with agp slots anymore. the closest thing i've seen is a AGR (advanced graphics riser) slot but that only supports certain AGP video cards. Wtf...i spent 300 bucks on a gf6800 just last year and now i can't upgrade the rest of my computer wout getting a pcix vid card.

Where are you looking at?

NewEgg currently has 39 different motherboards with LGA 775 and AGP 4X/8X.

I don't know if you live in another country or not (of which NewEgg would be no help to you then) but it does prove that they're out there.

PCI-E is by some still considered new tech. AGP will be around for a while, although I doubt there will be many top end cards made in AGP since PCI-E is clearly faster.

this reminds me- pci express allows SLI, which means 2x the power. imagine two x850's working together. yeah, that's the power of the new format. but, phasing out an old format is NOT a good idea.

Absolutly, if you have the money to spend. 2 7800gtx in pci-e sli would easily do the trick. i have a $100 video card myself and it runs pretty much everything i throw at it. i remember it just seems like yesterday that the "god like" 5900/5950 Ultra's were out and now those cards are laughed at. well i imagine my card would be laughed at also, but im not the one out 500+ bucks either.

You guys forgot some "slot".
I still have a bunch of ISA-Cards with that little PCI-ish extra at the rear.
So, whats about VesaLocalBus?
Sadly my favortite soundcard, the AWE32, has VLB so i can only use it in my old 486DX-160 (133 jumpered to 160 ;) )

yeah there was the 8 bit isa slots, and then the 16 bit isa slot reffered to as vesa local bus (isa-vlb) motherboards only came with about two of the extended 16 bit slots though, the rest were still 8 (though the 16 bit slot still could also be used as an 8) and thats what occupied mine too was a soundlaster 16 card. i had an old tv tuner card that utilized one later on ("prime time tv") but that was about it.

Actually, my real question was if I should have gotten a PCI-E X850 card, or if it doesn't matter.

Csonicgo said:

this reminds me- pci express allows SLI, which means 2x the power.

It's closer to 1.5x.

It's seriously nowhere near 2x outside a couple of test scenarios. In most real gameing scenarios 50% is all youre gonna get.

Oh and don't forget only a handful of games are supported in SLI Dual rendering.

AirRaid said:

Oh and don't forget only a handful of games are supported in SLI Dual rendering.

What? No, I'm pretty sure you can use some type of SLI in any DirectX or OpenGL game.