Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pete The Padre

Most Memorable Doom Experience

The first time I ever saw Doom. Looking at the stairs to left of the start of E1M1 and saying to myself, "I doubt you could climb those stairs." I was still thinking Wolf 3D.

Probably my first deathmatch experience on a direct cable connection with my Dad, or shitting my pants after seeing the bruiser brothers for the first time.

My first vision of a cacodemon was the most memorable. it was in the basement of a friends house the day he downloaded the demo off a bbs. i was in total awe as it floated in mid air. he killed it, and along with that sound it makes dying made it even more intriguing (witch is why he's also my fave) needless to say it ended up on floppy's that i knew to bring with me everytime i went over to his house (he was allways getting a hold of something interesting)

ooh..but there aren't any cacodemons in the shareware of doom (or were you reffering to something else?)
:P

But yeah, the caco's probably my fave monster as well...despite the name i chose.

As for most memorable experience doom-wise, hmm very hard to say.

Well i couldn't nail it down to one experience. When i think of Doom i remember my first times playing it on the psx. My memories of playing the levels like limbo and the other levels with the flaming atmospheres and creepy music are far and away my most fond memories of any game since. That psx music is just incredible even to this day. On the pc it must have been in about 1997 when i bought my first badass machine(used 486dx2 w/640k ati graphics) and locked myself in my room for 36 hours doing nothing but drinking and playing the Doom demo.

Quote: "ooh..but there aren't any cacodemons in the shareware of doom (or were you reffering to something else?)
:P"

The shareware i copied that night had cacodemons.. but me and my friend were much younger then. i still acquired a retail version later on :) (of all the dooms+ add on's ect..)

Crying like a little bitch the first time I encountered the two Caco's at the beginning of Inferno. I was a little twerp and they scared me.

Thing was, it was merely their appearance I found frightening; the computer I was playing on only had PC speaker noises and no music. So whenever I play Doom with PC speaker sound, it's pure nostalgia. You should try it sometime!

In that regard, hearing E1M1's music for the first time was sweet.

Hmm good one..

I'd have to say when Ultimate Doom came out, cause thats when I first herd of doom. But probably the most memorable experience was playing E1 as a kid and being scared to walk around a corner to find an imp, despite the easy difficulty setting.

Also, for a while I always got stuck on map7, I could never find the damn keys!

DesertEagle said:

Crying like a little bitch the first time I encountered the two Caco's at the beginning of Inferno. I was a little twerp and they scared me.

Thing was, it was merely their appearance I found frightening; the computer I was playing on only had PC speaker noises and no music. So whenever I play Doom with PC speaker sound, it's pure nostalgia. You should try it sometime!

In that regard, hearing E1M1's music for the first time was sweet.

LoL that caco encounter part just lightened my day up, er, night. As with the PC speakers, Im with ya! I think mine had music, but doom's music was never on, and i never figured out why, being a kid and all. But it really is nostolgic!

I remember getting Knee Deep In The Dead with our first family computer. I was about 5 I think.
Didn't have any sound or computer skillat that point and it took me a week to actually progress past the first door in E1M1 :|
I didn't know you could open doors + I didn't know the silver thing was a door.
A guy from my dad's work was at my house and showed me the space bar :P

mine is when i for the first time were finnishing E1,
i was so damn nervous at the final stage, meeting the bruiser bros,

i remember i played at my uncles computer and used an old joystick and only sfx sounds on

i was shaking the whole time, it was lovely

E1M8 for the first time. A combination of the music and the ominous nature of the map.

E2M8 definitely. The bizzare organ music, the strung-up Barons with their guts ripped out, scary faces on the walls of the pillars outside, forboding deep red sky, and of course Mr. Cyberdemon's mechanical hoof noise which will be forever burned in my mind.

Next one would have to me E1M8, my personal favourite map. The insanely evil, disturbing music and the surreal outside area gets me every time. I've started playing it again with Rimco's E1M8 music remix (http://www.ocremix.org/remix/OCR00231/) - just awesome.

Mine would have to be when me and my brother first saw the Cyberdemon, we had only played the shareware version on our brother-in-laws computer. He let us into his office late at night where he had the full thing installed, I don't remember the level but it was dim and there was some lit places on the floor, then that sound.. whump, whump, giant hoof stomps that make your blood curdle, then boom boom boom! and he was dead, the demon was far away still, he tried to point it out but it was hard to see. But yeah, that was cool.

Then he took us to see him fight the SpiderDemon Boss, that was really cool too, I went back and beat her last night for nostalgias sake. He also showed us the fight with the Spiderdemon on Barrels of Fun, that was a better fight I think, good times. I actually have a ton of doom related memories.
hmm.

i actually remember the very first time i saw doom. it was in some computer shop and some guy was playing it. he was shooting at a cacodemon who at the time i thought was a boss cause he was pretty big.

Has to be the first time I played Plutonia-L32. I was a complete newbie at Doom and you can imagine what I thought after seeing all those monster hordes.

I think, that I used the level skip cheat to get there too. I doubt, that I could've done it otherwise back then :)

me and barry white, first time we played doom. We never had speakers, so one of us took up the mouse and the other donned the headphones. Then we sat and screamed abuse at each other "OMG UI HEARD A MONSTAR FIND IT AND KILL IT LOL NO THAT WAS A BARREL MY SHOT"

God, I must have been about 13.

Archviles used to scare the piss out of me.
Creepy sounds, sprites, deadly attack, etc.
As soon as a year ago I always had a small panic attack around the buggers. Even now I still get a bit more agitated around them then I do around anything else.
But as far as nostalgia goes, e3 takes me back like nothing else, for an odd reason.
I remember playing them years back, thinking, 'these levels arn't so great' and therefore only played them once all the way through, making em extremely nostalgic for me.

I remember the first time I played "Doom 2" (I played "Ultimate Doom" after it! :P): when I saw map01, I told me "What am I playing?! What is it?!". He, he! =D But my most memorable DooM experience is not when I first encountered the CyberDemon (in the "Trick and Traps" level), but the second time, in "Refueling Base", when I saw the CyberDemon teleporting: I asked myself "What spell is this!?". He, he! =D Moreover I think that was the first really hard battle... even if you have the Invulnerability and the BFG! ;)

when I saw the game for the first time at a Christmas party in 1993. My cousin got it, and he was born in 1986, so that made him 7 years old. Now, the ESRB changed everything.

I finished the Doom demo on Nightmare. There was sound but no MIDI music because I have LegacyDoom so I downloaded all the MIDI files and played them on suffle on iTunes. Then I played it with a creepy choir song I recorded in my studio. I'm sure it would be much better with Doom 2 since the atmosphere is more creepy.

By the way, go to the WAD and mod forum and help me use my songs in Doom.

Several of my most memorable experiences include:

*Playing Doom for the first time with a sound card (For several years I played with a crappy internal PC speaker)

*The first time I started dreaming about the game

*Experiencing episodes 2, 3 4 for Ultimate Doom for the first time

*Finding the secret level in the Inferno episode

*Playing Doom on Playstation and experiencing high quality sound and music

*Playing Doom 64 for the first time

yeah for me too there were several "waypoints":

-back in ´98 me and a friend in a tiny flat playing sega saturn Doom around the clock, because there was nothing else to do, we were playing on the lowest skill with those sucky controllers and we were having a blast ;)

-later rediscovering Doom on the pc and finding there was nothing like it, even though I played Quake online for years...

-the thrill of beating a difficult wad on UV with no saving, being inspired by all those compet-n madmen :)

-the complexity and depth in some custom wads which no "modern" game can ever hope to reach again (?)

EDIT:
lol I can be quite pathetic when I´m drunk, nevermind that :D

There are so many...

Probably the best memory I have is of the rare occassion me and my dad or brother would set up two PC's side by side in my dads house and get a multiplayer Doom game going via serial cable till the wee small hours. This must've been between '95 & '96. But I was fascinated at the fact I was playing someone who was on a completely different computer.

Secondly, on christmas day 1995, I got my very own PC at home along with doom (which was the only reason I wanted a PC). It was also a white christmas so my computer was by the window and I was looking out over the snowy hills whilst playing doom and I just remember thinking I had died and gone to heaven. That day when I got to e1m2 and the staircase that looks out onto the mountains, I just remember feeling awed at the scenery and graphics. I haven't been awed in the same way by a computer game since.

heh, my friend got Doom 2 when it first came out. I was at his house and we decided that we'd play the whole game through, taking turns through the levels. So he played Map01, and then it was my turn on map02. Well, I killed the pistol zombies and started to move towards the first door when I hear the growling of an imp. It scared me to death and I did not want to go through that door. That's where I stopped :)

Renting Doom 64 when I was ten, and thinking the game was broken because the first level was pitch black. Yes, I know, I'm a dumbass. I also remember constantly renting SNES Doom (I only had a 286 back then) and being frustrated that you could only play certain levels on certain skills.

Oh, this question brought tears to my eyes . . .

Careful, you men of stoic nature. I'm opening my heart for a second. ;-P

Some of the fondest memories I have when bonding with my dad is watching him play DOOM and DOOMII. It was the only thing that we could relate too -- and, in some cases, still is.

Okay I'm done pouring my heart out. ;)

The best memory I have concerning DOOMII occurred one night while my family was sitting at dinner. My father had just recently finished playing through the original DOOM, and we were all so ecstatic. There had to be a sequel! More time to watch Daddy fight baddies and save the day!

So this night, he comes to the table with this big grin on his face, because he apparently checked out some BBS (God, BBS . . .), which confirmed the eventual release of a sequel to DOOM.

Probably one of the coolest days of my life -- er, night, I guess.