Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pete The Padre

Most Memorable Doom Experience

I really love classic games like DooM.

Very very few games (if any) can claim to soooo many good/old memories.

Ah, DooM...nothing like it.

Seeing the ouchface when I was very young, it used to scare the hell out of me, the funny part was no one else noticed it. I'll never forget seeing that face in the Pandemonium map. But that was years and years ago.

a least memorable doom moment was the first time I tried online play. my buddy and I used id's deathmanager. to tell you how long ago this was, I had a 28.8 modem and he had a top of the line brand spankin new 56k modem. that dm consisted of me being stuck in a corner while he ran around and blasted me. heh.

on the reverse, it was such a blast when I tried zdaemon for the first time. it was the first time trying online play since the old school debacle. I got my ass kicked six ways to sunday in dcdwango, but I didn't care because I was in a deathmatch that didn't suck.

heres another one.

nearly crapping my pants the first time I saw the cyberdemon in e2m8. I walked outside and heard its footsteps.wondering what the hell that was, I started running around. I had passed it without noticeing, so I was pretty suprised when I got hit with a rocket from behind. So I turned around and... HOLY SHIT!!!!!!! I tried to fight it but it owned me. I don't think I'll ever forget that time.

Does that mean it's just the map itself? So, technically, if I wanted to save the game while on a different, smaller level, it would have worked?

Technically, I think "savegame buffer overrun" means too many THINGs (entities, in Quake lingo: monsters, items, deco) on the map. So yes, saving may not work on some custom maps, but not others. Even one of the vanilla Heretic maps (E3M6?) had this bug in the initial version. Also, with "borderline" maps (just under the limit) it might work some times bot not other times, depending on how many spawned lost souls and missiles in the air you have at the moment of saving.

Two possible reasons for this bug and a bunch of other annoyances in the game (such as visplane overflows): either Carmack didn't know how to use malloc()/realloc() or he needed a reliable way to ensure that the level design meets the (at the time) harsh memory requirements. The former is extremely unlikely, so it's probably the latter. Though after some extensive reading of Hexen II (<- Quake) source code, I still wonder why it was necessary for someone _not_ to use the readily available and extensively tested standard library functions to do routine tasks like taking a substring of a string, but rather write their own buggy versions that trash the call stack. Unless I'm wrong, stdlib is a required part of ANSI C since 1989.

balanco01 said:Also the first time I saw the Archvile bug in action (this was in a spaceship level, in one of TNT's wads, I think) and seeing the ghosts come at me through the walls. Freaky!

My most memorable DooM experience coincides with yours. You probably mean Wormhole (MAP04), right? There's a convenient door, an archvile, and a good number of chaingunners, imps, and pink demons behind. Initially I too chose the wrong tactic and started killing the monsters one by one in the doorway. But then I ran out of ammo and ran away with 10 hitpoints back in the dark passages, thinking I was safe behind that door and that elevator. So of course, the monsters killed in the doorway were respawned in noclip mode. Lo and behold, a pinky comes out of the wall and takes the final bite... Freaky indeed. I had the game saved, so I reloaded and I think finally found some rockets to get rid of the cheaters.

I believe it is likely that TeamTNT knew about the bug, and designed the map this way on purpose. In some other map, this may have been just a bug, but in those dark and scary underground hallways, ghost monsters actually make sence, and thus make a good feature. So if TNT indeed found a way to turn this bug into a gameplay element, this was ingenious.

Cacodemons did look scary at the time, yes.

So far as E1M8 is concerned, there _is_ a way to kill all the monsters in that last dark room, if you have enough health left after the "bruiser brothers". Of course you will still die on the sludge... so much for Ark travel, Reaper.

Regarding "bruiser brothers" themselves, I call them "kasha throwers". They throw the green kasha at you, and with that nice busy look... "sample this, you know". I even had an idea for sprite modding once -- to give them a nice ladle in their paws, and a cooking hat... There is actually another early map in TNT (MAP05 I think) where at one point you come out to a large darkened outside area where you can barely see. You can find a teleporter to your left and warp onto a balcony surrounding the area. There, you can pick up some key and a blue armor, but once you do, some doors outside will open and you'll have a few "bruiser brothers" on your way back. Of course then, I didn't know how to strafe. So I tried picking these out from the balcony, but it was too high and of course it didn't work. So I had to jump down, and take a lethal dose of kasha a few times. Creepy, considering you can't see the cooks -- just the kasha, since it's fullbright. "Doctor Willits?!" That was another "memorable moment".

Sorry, not a DOOM experience, but a nice one from Q3: Team Arena.

It was a "one flag ctf" match, in that "overload" arena (that one with green mountains), both teams were tied, I was a n00b back then (I still suck, but not as much), still I knew a few moves. I were carrying the white flag, using a Guard power up, near the enemy base, the whole enemy team or so was there, each time I tried to score, they attacked and chased me, somehow (probably they were more n00bs than me) I killed a few, thanks to the Guard I were surviving for the moment, but I were getting closer and closer to zero. A few gladiators from my team were in scene but get dispatched. I don't know how but the server master added a proximity mines gun one each base, so the enemy flag was surrounded by deadly shit awaiting me. The situation was deadly I wanted to score, but my defeat seemed a matter of time. Then, I could see one of these miracles of the net, one of the suckers used the Kamikaze artifact, the idiot killed all his team members, but I only received a bit of damage, on that very short moment when they were all down, the mines runed out of time and exploded, needless to say that when my former enemies starting waking up it was too late.

I'd have to say watching my dad play when I was 5 and having no clue as to what was going on. Doom seems so much cooler when you don't know what's going on...

Heh yeah, I remember that when I was little. The people who originally got me into DOOM were doing that, and I had no idea what the hell everything was...they showed me everything, from IDDQD to the secrets of E1M1 to WadAuthor. Ah, good times.

most memorable? when i first saw the cyberdemon (e4m2) twitchin' in his lil' niche, i thought he was a demonic TWITCHING HANGING BODY brought to way in a creeeeeeeeeeeepy way. And when he shot that bog rocket at me....

just to say it to you mod-phreeks out there (i'm free): i was thinking the cyber was one of those hanging zombies brought to life by turning it around 3 times. Because of appearing immobile in e4m2 and e4m6 i also thought the thing couldn't move...just twitch...something witch really gave me creeeeps. But then i was just 7 yr old. y, just occult stuff all over. Hope i gave ya ideas. ;)

When i turned around a corner to see a cyberdemon growl at me suddenly and kill me, i jump.

a Quake memory, i remember my brother playing deathmatch online with his friend on the start map, just entering shub's pit on the lowest resolution.

Also one really queer memory when i turned on doom it always went to e1m1 but the really strange thing was the demos never ever played until one day i pressed f7 and enter, i think i was 7 or 8 then and i was like "the game is playin it's self" from that point on when i turned on doom demos played.

But before that i didn't even know they existed lol.

Mine was when I downloaded the Newer Zdooms that allowed you to punch all the monster no matter how big they were (in the original doom and doom 2, and some oder pors, you couldnt punch the cyberdemon, spidermastermind, or the arachnotron for some reason). I was trying it out and I managed to beat the Grosse level with my fist ^_^.

My first Doom experience was with Plutonia, when I was 6. I wasn't scared at all, because for some reason I just thought "they're just pixals." I sucked massively at it, of course. However, there were two memorable experiences I had with it.
Since I was using Doom95, I could go to any level I liked. I went to level 31, "Cyber Den." I thought it was pretty cool with 4 Cyberdemons, and I was having a hell of a time trying to kill one of them. Me and my 10 year older friend would save the game when the Cyber had it's back to us. Then we'd load the game and laugh at it's huge "dino-butt." However, I thought the song for that level was really awesome, so it was a cool experience.
The other one was playing TNT at level 29, "River Styx." That song also sounded awesome, and it was that level that made me look at Doom differently.

Craigs said:

Doom seems so much cooler when you don't know what's going on...

The first time I saw my brother play doom I was young and I thought that the bodies were racecars.

Strange fact: It's been very rare these days that demos or shareware of games have motivated me to buy the full product.

I played the DooM shareware for maybe the 3rd time ever in 2004 (I may have played it before, I'm not sure), and consequently felt that the Collector's Edition was worth my $10.

Go figure. =^P

doom2day said:

The first time I saw my brother play doom I was young and I thought that the bodies were racecars.

This wins the "day's weirdest post" award hands down.

Playing Doomsday with the model pack for the first time was a pretty cool experience. It was really neat seeing the enemies and whatnot in 3-D for the first time.

I remember reading the manual in the backseat of the car on the way home. All the weapons, all the demons, it looked awesome.

Honestly though, I was a bit disappointed when I actually played the game. It felt repetitive, and I never got the chance to try out the big guns. Part of the reason for that's because I was playing the SNES version, which lacked a save feature or even passwords, and knocked you back to the beginning of the map with just your pistol if you died. Much later I'd play through the PC version and have a far better experience. At least the SNES port had better names for the difficulty settings; "Nightmare" doesn't have the same ring to it as "Watch me die!"

The most memorable map was Hell Keep. It was bizzare to actually be in Hell itself, where an army of demons seemed to be waiting for you.

I remember this... I was at my big brother's friend. He had Doom and my brother was playing it. He wanted the electricity gun(plasma gun) when he went into that narrow corridor in Hell Keep with demons. Then my friend IDKFAed him and he blasted the demons with the electricity gun.

Sometime after I played the game, possibly The Shores of Hell episode.

I think I had already played the shareware version of the game, but this was the first time I played the full version.

Then one day when I had internet connection, I downloaded some Doom3D or whatever it was and I played it with models. Then my brother phones me and asked what I was doing and I said, I'm playing Doom... with 3D models! At the time of the phoning I was in House of Pain in the room with 2 pillars with red marble stones and skull switches.

I also remember the first time I saw that wacked out "Ouch!" face when I got crushed by the ceiling in Final Doom. It scared the hell out of me.

When I first played HR. It was what perfected my skills until I could be considered a minor doom god. As in quite able to handle the monster hordes, but not good enough to pwn everything in my path.

After being away from the community for a good five years, coming back and playing Tei Tenga.

"WTF?! How the fuck did they do that in Doom?!"

Watching my dad fall into the "glowing rock things" *thats what I called it back then* in map15 and dying, constantly.
Now whenever I see that hole I always remember that happening.

most memorable experience was watching my cousin play DOOM and seeing that damn pinky demon almost crapping myself (even today I still get afraid of that damn thing)

The first time I discovered DEHACKED in 1999 and creating a "Nazi Ghost" that barrel exploded when it died.

This is one that always comes to my mind when it comes to memorable Doom experiences:

So, I got a berserk pack and then killed a demon by punching it to death. Guess how many times I had to punch it: 7 times! I guess that is quite impropable and won't propably happen again.

I remeber my first cyberdemon i rember his roar and remember thinking oh crap i immediatly ran away. then after i just remember going back out to whoop his butt but got mine kicked instead.

when i was five and my uncle cody showed doom i was so scared but as i matured i got a hold of a copy and played and instantly became addicted.I just recently picked up a copy of the collecters edition doom.good times i had with that game.

Playing "Thy Flesh Consumed" Scared the crap outta me the first time i played it, was about 6-8yrs old and had just finished the E1,E2,E3 Episodes. I had nightmares for weeks