Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Vegeta

Fighting Quake?

Is there a mod for one of the Quake games where you actually fight the character codenamed "Quake"?

Vegeta said:

Is there a mod for one of the Quake games where you actually fight the character codenamed "Quake"?

Nope. The bosses in the game aren't "hey go kill me directly lol" like Doom.

Four Quakes later they still haven't killed Quake, yet they're focusing on some dumb alien planet rather than THE ENEEMY WHOS CODENAME IS QUAKE

Maybe you're just a confused imbecile. Sit down, demongay.

Shub-Niggurath was Quake.

They focus on the dumb alien planet because the universes of quake aren't persistent (i.e., their time eras aren't the same) and the new threat to human-kind is the Strogg, whatever.

I dunno what Q3A's deal is.

BBG said:

I dunno what Q3A's deal is.

Some aliens decided to pull random people from around the universe and put them in gladiator battles. That's about it, to my knowledge.

Comiclez said:

I always thought Quake was the dude on the oatmeal box...

That's The Quaker

id were planning on using "Quake" as the name of the player, ever since the Commander Keen days. Till they realised half the stuff they wanted to do wasn't possible with the current technology...

BBG said:

Shub-Niggurath was Quake.

One would think this, but the stories of the mission packs deal with Quake as well, and they are sequels to the first Quake game. If they are to be believed, the enemy codenamed Quake is never seen in any of the games.

Quake = Quakeguy + hammer. But the hammer was dropped from the game. Quake was Carmack's PC in AD&D, or something like that.

I never thought "Quake" was one particular being. I thought "Quake" was just the race or civilisation or whatever of things that were attacking. To draw a parallel, I thought Quake was Q1s Strogg, not Q1s Makron.

Comiclez said:

Isn't the Quaker the player in Quake?

So people who play Doom are Doomers and people who play Quake are Quakers. 9_9

AirRaid said:

I never thought "Quake" was one particular being. I thought "Quake" was just the race or civilisation or whatever of things that were attacking. To draw a parallel, I thought Quake was Q1s Strogg, not Q1s Makron.

I believe the instruction book says something like "an enemy calling himself Quake." Or at least that Quake will "unleash his real force, whatever that is."

That points towards Quake being a singular being.

You never meet quake. Shub Niggurath was a rather useless leiutenant in quake's army. Quake is referred to in parts of the extended backstory as the god who is pulling the strings in the background.

As for Seal of Nehahra... fuck that movie rocked :D, Mindcrimes actually back in action too, he's currently working on revamping nehahra somewhat for a re-release of the movie and a fourth episode in the subsequent game, so I can't wait to see what he's got cooked up soon. He's also got another project in the works called obscurus, also probably using quake 1. Can't wait to see what that's about :D.

Oh and yeah quake was going to be the name of the player character at one point, but at that same point quake was meant to be rather large scale RPG. So basically a moot point.

Oh and on the other points, each id is a separate universe, with the exception of Commander Keen/Wolf3D and Quake 2/Quake 4. Quake 3 was basically a random fighting game with key characters and extra random people to blow stuff up. Much like Ergheiz for Final Fantasy... cool to have characters from each final fantasy beat each other up but absolutely no relation to any plot.

Mogul said:
I believe the instruction book says something like "an enemy calling himself Quake." Or at least that Quake will "unleash his real force, whatever that is."

Instruction manuals are made by publishers, and they like to think they explain away everything so that it closes for the user. They are usually afraid some customer may make a silly question and not buy the product.

LorD BaZTArD said:
Oh and yeah quake was going to be the name of the player character at one point, but at that same point quake was meant to be rather large scale RPG. So basically a moot point.

Well, there is nothing moot about why the game is called as it is, and what "Quake" means.

Quake is just the name of the game, especially if we consider id's main FPS conception of "you are the player." So they wouldn't give the character a name, yet that doesn't deny the origin of the game's name in a character, originally to de a Thor like dude with an earth shaking hammer.

-> "yes, quake will have long range combat also. there are spells and
-> you _can_ throw the hammer. or you can smash the hammer to the ground,
-> so that a crack will start snaking towards the enemy, and upon hitting
-> them will cause a big disaster. and you can throw lightning bolts with
-> the hammer too. or set the enemy on fire. and if you have enough energy,
-> you can hit the floor with the hammer, so that the whole level will
-> tremble in an earthquake and everyone will stumble. 

Masters of Doom mentions that id wrote that introduction themselves. If that's worth anything.

Yeah it is, given all ID game stories are written by ID. Which is why iD are not known for games with a storylines. With the exception of Quake 2 and Doom 3.

As for quake, no myk, It is moot. The game named quake advertised way back then is not the quake we know today and the mere fact that they share a name means nothing. Although, I wouldn't put it past iD if we ever met the enemy codenamed quake, he'd fit that description. Probably as an easter egg reference to that original plan and I see no real reason to ever revisit quake 1. So Quake will probably never be revealed to us and I don't have a problem with that.

Having said that though, you know what somewhat should do as a mod? Revisit Quake. Doing it differently though, because the way I've always seen the world of quake as a distorted nightmare/ranger going batshit insane. If you were to get a guy to play through quake and then break each level down to a paragraph block of text then give that to a concept artist to expand upon you would end up with some seriously trippy landscapes. Thinking about it that way if you were to rebuiuld quake starting from scratch using the worlds like that and then throw it onto either the Doom 3 or Half-Life 2 engine it would be fucking amazing. Quake was a fun game for sure but those worlds/levels were held back by the capabilities of graphics at that time.

LorD BaZTArD said:
The game named quake advertised way back then is not the quake we know today and the mere fact that they share a name means nothing.

Who said that it was? The first thing I said was "Quake = quakeguy + hammer." That is not in the game as released, and it does mean what it means. It hardly means nothing; it's more like something anyone into Quake would want to know about if they care about its development and meaning as a design.

Although, I wouldn't put it past iD if we ever met the enemy codenamed quake, he'd fit that description.

id could do anything in respect to new plots; assumedly without too much contradiction, if they care (why would they?) If they are bound to remake their games, I doubt they'll care to somehow follow old plots, unless that helps their design concepts somehow.

Mogul said:
Masters of Doom mentions that id wrote that introduction themselves. If that's worth anything.

That's relevant. I should finally finish the book, as opposed to letting it accumulate dust on the shelf. At least in was apparently their idea. Still, in the end the explanation of "Quake" as some codename for the badguy is what it is; some way to justify why the name is called as it is, and not more than that. My main point is how the game came to be called as it is. The fact that they eventually used that name for the evil guy in order to close up the plot in relation to the title tells you something we already see in the game; the plot is just a shallow thing left when they decided to follow the same plot concept they used in DOOM (very vague background info.)

I mean we know the name of the game is Quake, we know how it plays, we don't need to be told it's the code name of the final boss, but just in case they used it that way, to give the idea of a more rounded product.

To surmise, my obrservations are along the lines of the nature and design of the game, and are based on evidence; more important in my opinion than what people may or may not "believe" Quake is or means (which may or may not be part of the qualities of the game and its makeup in one way or another.)

In other words, if you know about it, every time you mention Quake, you have the development of the game in mind. Including these factors (i.e., character concept, closing story on the manual.)