Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xanthier

D! Zone - A longtime mystery

It doesn't seem any different from when "classic" cartoons are sold on a cassette with very poorly drawn images of the characters that they're supposed to be on the tape.

I first want to apologize for the 11 year necro, BUT this is relevant and I'm sure anyone who posted in this thread as well as the OP would find this very interesting and worthwhile.

A while back I started mapping, and once I saw that I was decent at it I kept improving and eventually... well... I made this longtime mystery a reality at last after 21 years with the help of fellow Doomers over at the ZDoom forums.

hYWKfInt.jpg htGR4qIt.jpg 4TV9A6Jt.jpg
W0QHh4vt.jpg l7Bya7bt.jpg 4ZzAxtKt.jpg
gUeYsWkt.jpg

Download here: D!ZONE.ZIP

Again, sorry for the necro but I was planning this ever since I started working on the map.

Enjoy fellas.

Edited by Nevander : Fixed download link, again

That is a great idea for a project. I had forgotten all about these mysterious faked screenshots.

Here's another fake from Aftershock Toolbox for Quake, if you're interested in expanding your WizardWorks armory:

The fact that they used to make fake screenshots baffles me, but excellent job remaking those scenes in Doom. Really unique idea.

That's awesome Nevander, good job.

How many more Doom compilations with faked screenshots are there? I feel like there were a few. Would be a hilarious idea for a megawad if you could find a lot of them.

leileilol said:

Actually the "Simulated shots" are put there because a license prevents them to use ANY Doom media/gfx for promotion. This is very common for shovelware.

The aftershock toolbox cd has a very silly gun painted over a screenshot rofl, i'll scan that someday

Well bugger.

That disappoints me then :(
I would've wanted to see that ingame myself since I have D!Zone 2 itself.
Thanks for letting me know.

Doomkid said:

The fact that they used to make fake screenshots baffles me

I'm guessing that in the case of D!Zone, it was to avoid legal troubles. It was sold as a commercial product without id's permission, so using copyrighted Doom assets on the box likely increased the potential for the publishers to get sued to hell and back.

Cyanosis said:

I second this. And those gun sprites are from the alpha of D64?

No but the similarity is striking nonetheless:

My question is why would Wizardworks use these false screenshots instead of screenshots of some of the best levels on the CD? I know it's mostly shit but there are definitely a few gems in there.