Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Iori Branford

How do I tweak bullet/melee damage?

I know rocket, plasma, and maybe BFG blob damage can be tweaked with DeHackEd. But what can I do if I want to power up the fist and pistol? I don't have to directly EXE-hack, do I?

Iori Branford said:
Okay, say I want to do it in ZDoom. Do I have to create a whole new custom weapon, or can I get away with just tweaking a few things?

I'm fairly sure Randy was working on custom weapon support for ZDoom, but I'm not sure if that is released yet.

If you change the properties of the bullet damage (not possible in vanilla Doom), you will change it for the entire game (including monsters). If you just want the player or a particular monster to have a different bullet damage, you'll need to make a custom bullet and a custom weapon/attack to go with it.

In vanilla Doom you can trick a higher bullet damage by doing the bullet trace twice within a zero tic interval. You do end up with 2 bullet puffs though.

Eternity also has custom weapons support.

Mordeth said:

I'm fairly sure Randy was working on custom weapon support for ZDoom, but I'm not sure if that is released yet.

Until then, there's a custom community build that adds that, based off DECORATE.

Edge its really easy.

Here is an example from GE (attack.ddf):

[PLAYER_KF7]
ATTACKTYPE=SHOT;
ATTACKRANGE=2808;
SHOTCOUNT=1;
DAMAGE.VAL=10; //<- Minimum damage
DAMAGE.MAX=15; //<- Maximum damage
ATTACK_HEIGHT=32;
ACCURACY_ANGLE=5;
ACCURACY_SLOPE=6;
ENGAGED_SOUND=KF7;
PUFF=PUFF;

Iori Branford said:

I know rocket, plasma, and maybe BFG blob damage can be tweaked with DeHackEd. But what can I do if I want to power up the fist and pistol? I don't have to directly EXE-hack, do I?

Wait, what exactly are you trying to do? Surely you can just edit the weapon firing frames in dehacked?

You could fake making the pistol more powerful by stringing two FirePistol frames together - but this means it uses twice the ammo, and it's a terrible hack-job anyway.