Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pritch

A treat! Scans of magazine review of Doom 2 from 1994!

Below are some scans of my copy of CVG magazine from November 1994, reviewing Doom2 for PC. They're not the greatest scans ever, and I had to jpeg them for bandwidth, sorry I can't get the middle of the pages on, but they're interesting to look at, including factual errors about chaingunner and archvile!

The magazine also previews both Jaguar Doom and Sega 32x Doom, I may do those too.

http://pritch.mancubus.net/CVG Doom2 review Nov 1994 page1.jpg
http://pritch.mancubus.net/CVG Doom2 review Nov 1994 page2.jpg

The pictures for the chainsaw and chaingun are the wrong way round. Quick, someone write in and tell them.

I hate it when someone is supposed to review something and they don't understand any of it and fuck it all up. I've seen too many game reviews like that.

In my experience, the type of review where the reviewer makes a complete ass of him/herself by e.g. displaying ignorance or misconceptions is in a vast majority.

Hahah, "stand under a door and you can shoot both ways"

Nice PROTIP.

"They should have done more than added another barrel to the shotgun"
I'd agree, if the SSG wasn't the most badass shotgun seen in a game.
"Why not wield two weapons at the same time, one in each hand?"
Well how else would you wield two, one in your mouth and the other propped out of your ass?

Vile said:
[B]Hahah, "stand under a door and you can shoot both ways"

Heh, I wonder what game the reviewer was thinking about when saying that... I mean, you can do the same in Wolfenstein 3D, even.

Comiclez said:

one in your mouth and the other propped out of your ass?

then you can really shoot both ways while standing under doors.

looks to me like the reviewer just played quickly thru some levels, prolly using cheats, and didn't get the full on doom2 experience.

Notice he refers to the Hell Knights as the "guys you saw at the end of Doom", or something to that effect. Revealing that 1) he doesn't know the difference between a Baron and a Hell Knight, and 2) he obviously only played the Shareware episode of the original, and therefore never encountered any of the actual bosses at all, or noticed that Barons made many reappearances after episode 1.

Ralphis said:

Floors you can fall through?

Judging by the screenshot, I'd say they're talking about those hidden lifts in the floor at the beginning of Map05.

Caco-Puff said:

The arch-vile reappears elsewhere when shot?

I once had a Doom guide that said Arch-Vile's can travel between levels. Puzzled me for ages that did...

Comiclez said:

"They should have done more than added another barrel to the shotgun"
I'd agree, if the SSG wasn't the most badass shotgun seen in a game.
"Why not wield two weapons at the same time, one in each hand?"
Well how else would you wield two, one in your mouth and the other propped out of your ass?

You can be my adopted newbie.

And that'd be pretty rad if the Arch-Vile could travel between levels.

Caco-Puff said:

And that'd be pretty rad if the Arch-Vile could travel between levels.

No it wouldn't because he'd make more of a mess than he already does. 9_9

I was pretty young (7) when Doom came out, but I still don't remember reading too many magazine reviews of it. Does anyone have any prominent gaming magazine reviews of the original Doom when it was released?

Only a handfull of magazines back then (if that) did anything about pc gaming. most of it was about the consoles of the time (sega genesis/snes) even the commodore/amiga was still huge back then with its monthly "disk equipped" publications. doesnt surprise me that these articles are far and wide in between. still wish i kept a lot more stuff than i did.

Haha this is great

"He also bring's dead monsters back to life" more like "He also place's apostrophe's li'ke a re'tar'''d"

And it's good to see the fine traditions of writing a review of a game you obviously thought was mediocre and then giving it a score that you'd give your eye teeth to get in a mathematics exam have been around for so long!

Ralphis said:

Maybe someone had sent them a copy of wow.wad through a time-warp.

Maybe he's reffering to map 2 "underhalls"
where you drop down into that sewer area to retrieve the blue key. not exactly falling thru a floor or where the floor actualy gives way, but you do drop down to another level below.

Ralphis said:

Maybe he's talking about the "sky texture in the floor" -style exits in the last episode ^_^

I should try to find some of my old magazines, off the top of my head I remember a magazine giving a really harsh review of Final Doom and a comparsion of Doom and Daggerfall in another.