Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlatheDoomer

Too Many Secrets

Hello,

Just finished beta testing my upcoming map. It works fine except that it says I have 6 or 7 secret areas when I only put in like 2 or 3. Any ideas?

--SlatheDoomer

What you probably have are what I shall call "unreferenced", or only partially referenced, sectors

That is you've created sectors which are delimited by certain linedefs/sidedefs in the normal way. Then you delete the linedefs, leaving the sector behind, but with no sidedefs referencing it

There are a significant number of maps that suffer from this problem, they're usually old maps made with less sophisticated editors. The only one I can think of off the top of my head is the first reol tough map

Yadex has functions to search for unreferenced sectors and sidedefs and remove them, I would assume other editors/utilities can do this

You only need one "Secret if discovered" sector type for each secret area you want. Each time you step in a sector with that sector type, you have discovered another secret. Best way to do secrets is by only setting the entrance's sector to this.

My guess is that you accidentally flagged several sectors in one area as being secret. Every sector that has the "secret" flag will count as one secret. Make sure that for every secret area, only one sector is flagged.

I'm at school right now so I can't test any of this out. I am using Doom Builder. I've only referenced the sectors themselves as secrets, nothing else. When I get home I think Doom Builder has search functions like that. I'll post back soon. Thanks for the help btw.

Doom Builder automatically removes unreferenced sectors when you delete lines/sidedefs. Also when you load your map, if it has any unreferenced sectors it will remove them and it will tell you that it did so.

It could be that you marked a sector as "secret" and then split the sector, which ofcourse results in 2 secret sectors. If you know where your unwanted secret sector are, you can just change them. Otherwise, try selecting all sectors and mark them all as not-secret, then only mark the 2 you want to be secret.

If you enter any of those anagrams into an anagram generator you'll see that there was no way in hell they could have come up with "too many secrets" so quickly. Setec astronomy, etc. has one of the largest anagram lists out there for such a few letters.

Piezo said:

If you enter any of those anagrams into an anagram generator you'll see that there was no way in hell they could have come up with "too many secrets" so quickly. Setec astronomy, etc. has one of the largest anagram lists out there for such a few letters.

Well, they were mostly just guessing, and you have to figure if they went through the entire list, the movie would get boring really fast.

CodeImp said:

Doom Builder automatically removes unreferenced sectors when you delete lines/sidedefs. Also when you load your map, if it has any unreferenced sectors it will remove them and it will tell you that it did so.

It could be that you marked a sector as "secret" and then split the sector, which ofcourse results in 2 secret sectors. If you know where your unwanted secret sector are, you can just change them. Otherwise, try selecting all sectors and mark them all as not-secret, then only mark the 2 you want to be secret.

That fixed it. Thanks.

What is setec astronomy?