Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Xanthier

Error - can't play WAD

Somebody got this error when trying to play my wad, and I got it trying to play someone's demo of playing it. Does anyone know what this mean and how I can fix it?

"I get this error when I try to run it off of my Doom Collector's Edition Doom 2 DOOM95 launcher:

RTextureNumForName WOODSKUL not found.

Any idea how to make it work? :/"

WOODSKUL is a texture that only exists in Doom1. When you start a level with it in Doom2 you get this error.

it shouldn't make it crash though, should it? I tried to include my added Doom1 textures in the WAD but I guess I missed one :[

thanks

Doom aborts when it encounters an error. The better source ports are able to handle this more gracefully, for example by outputting the message to the console.

Still, that's nothing compared to DEU. Even for minor stuff it aborted with a stupid message and lost all the data. Totally retarded.

I've noticed that in Zdoom, you can load the Doom1 wad together with your own wad and it'll fill in the missing textures. I haven't been able to get it to work with Doom2.exe or anything like that though.

It's okay I add them manually I load the patches and rename remerge texture files as necessary, its worked so far but I missed WOODSKUL apparently.

I've always wondered if inserting Doom1 textures into your wad would be considered redundant because people could load up the Doom1 wad itself and not have to download extra stuff. I guess it isn't.

It's just a few plus I wanna save them the hassle of having to load both doom2.wad and doom1.wad just to play it, and since I load them individually, it's a minor thing I think.

Graf Zahl said:

That's because ZDoom adds the texture definitions. Doom2.exe and all other ports replace them.

Not all other ports, Edge also does the right thing.