Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
fodders

Dictatorship?

As he stood about 10 feet away from Cheney and his friend and some camera operators from CNN and other media filmed the scene, Marble suddenly yelled, "Go fuck yourself, Mr. Cheney! Go fuck yourself, you asshole!"

Hey, at least Marble was polite. After all, he referred to Cheney as “Mr. Cheney.”

"I had no intention of harming anyone but merely wanted to echo Mr. Cheney's infamous words back at him," Marble wrote. "At that moment, I noticed the Secret Service guys with a panic-stricken look on their faces, like they were about to tackle me, so I calmly walked away back to my former house."

His friend videotaped a little bit longer and then came back to Marble’s house. As they were salvaging a few things from Marble's home, two military police waving M-16's showed up and said they were looking
for someone who fit Marble's description who had cursed at Cheney.

"I told them I was probably the person they were looking for, and so they put me in handcuffs and 'detained' me for about 20 minutes or so," Marble wrote. "My right thumb went numb because the cuffs were on so tight, but they were fairly courteous and eventually released me after getting all my contact info. They said I had NOT broken any laws so I was free to go."

http://opednews.com/articles/opedne_jackson__050909_physician_who_told_o.htm

America, land of the free?

America isn't really a "free" country and it hasn't been for some time. When was it no longer free? Or was it never free and I only recently noticed?

uh, if its free, then we could go into R-rated movies when we're 16 and buy a rifle when we're 11.

EDIT: my 400th post was not my last hahaha

Piezo said:

America isn't really a "free" country and it hasn't been for some time. When was it no longer free? Or was it never free and I only recently noticed?

Probably the latter, although it really started going bad in November 2000.

DooMer87 said:

then we could go into R-rated movies when we're 16

Uh, we can't do this? I don't ever remember having a problem getting into R rated movies when i was 15 or 16.

Somewhat related, but I don't believe there is such a thing as true freedom, atleast when it comes to government and society. Not even anarchy is true freedom, because someone else higher up on the food chain is going to impede on the rights of those beneath them in some way. We don't even have full control or freedom over our actions to begin with, so it is hard to imagine a society where anyone is free to do anything without being influenced by something else. So if anyone tells you this is the "land of the free" or that there is such a thing as a free society somewhere in the world, they're probably lying or exaggerating to some degree.

The only real freedom we have is freedom to think, which I doubt could ever be taken away, not even with complex machinery or technology, because each brain is different. It would take a different "key" to unlock each person's brain because of the slight differences between everyone's brains and how they developed. Not to mention how complex the brain already is. But I think I've strayed enough away from the topic already.

Quast said:

Uh, we can't do this? I don't ever remember having a problem getting into R rated movies when i was 15 or 16.

Eh, things have changed since we were that age. They've implemented strict policies at movie theatres in recent years, with mandatory cardings of anyone buying tickets to see R movies. Hell, my 21-year old (at the time) friend tried to buy us all tickets to see Dawn of the Dead in advance, and they wouldn't let him buy more than one because they feared he was buying them for minors. 9_9

Speech may be free, but not all speech is free, there is a thing called 'Slander'. I'm sure if someone did something similiar in any other country to the elected official it would be treated the same way.

Derrick said:

I'm sure if someone did something similiar in any other country to the elected official it would be treated the same way.

Or worse, they would have been killed on site.

Danarchy said:

Eh, things have changed since we were that age.

Dammit, stop making me feel old!

"land of the free" is more like a slogan or a catch phrase. even the "democracy" we live in is a selling point. in reality, america is really a republic with a representative democracy. even the origins of democracy, in athens, couldn't really be called real democracy because, as an estimate, only about 16% of the people were allowed to vote.

either way, the american political system, with the electoral college and micro-managing representation is starting to wear thin. it kills me that the same people who voted in this administration are now feeling the sting with a military quagmire, rising fuel costs, and now a natural disaster that seemed to escape their notice when it really counted. BTW why the FUCK is this guy head of FEMA? I'm glad they kicked him out of disater site.

Snarboo said:

Or worse, they would have been killed on site.

No one is killed on site, it's all 'accidents' for democracies and secret locations for dictators. In Oman people who spoke out against the ruler, IMO actually the best Arabian ruler, just disappeard, there are even rumours of hundreds of them boarding military planes in shackles and just dropped in the desert. Of course they only deport foreiegners, but if you are an Indian or an Arab you are dead.

In that sense can you really complain? You could be killed or kicked out for saying 'Qaboos has eyes like a hawk.' and here you guys are whining away and not a hair on you will be harmed.

As for the other laws I don't think that's the govenment's fault, it's the peoples'.

Janderson said:
whining away

It is whining in the lips of the beaten dog ready to accept crumbs from the abuser as if they were a favor bestowed. Thus the humbled dog is silent and reprobating towards others who are not, expecting the master's kick in exchange for dreaming on taking it on others if the excuse is granted by their questioning that abuser who has defeated the dog's soul.

You can criticise what your government is doing, that is your right. But I don't understand why you are all upset about your freedom when you are one of the free-est people in our world.

It is like a dog bound to a post in the master's garden, upset that his range of play is limited when there are caged dogs living nextdoor.

I can play the dog game too :P Of course your analogy sounds better, is it a quote?

Janderson said:

It is like a dog bound to a post in the master's garden, upset that his range of play is limited when there are caged dogs living nextdoor.

At Gitmo you mean?

Guantanamo

...to get al-Qahtani to talk, interrogators told him his mother and sisters were whores, forced him to wear a bra, forced him to wear a thong on his head, forced him to dance with a male interrogator, told him he was homosexual and said that other prisoners knew it.

He was also strip searched, threatened with dogs, forced to stand naked in front of women and forced him onto a leash, to act like a dog.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/world/national/2005/07/13/guantanamo050713.html

Janderson said:

You can criticise what your government is doing, that is your right. But I don't understand why you are all upset about your freedom when you are one of the free-est people in our world.

So you're saying since we might be a little better off than some other nations we shouldn't bother to try to improve many of the problems we still have? Besides, things aren't so peachy here, the United States still has has terrible issues regarding racism that need to be resolved, a raging homophobia which is both funny and frightening, and the United Nations 2005 Human Development Index paints a different picture as well. The United States, the wealthiest nation in the world ranks 10th amongst all nations in regards to health, education and cost of living.

Why do we complain? Because we can do alot better.

It's also pretty sad that the US pretty much always ranks last for positive things and first for negative things when compared to the other industrialized nations. I think only Russia is worse.

Derrick said:

Gitmo?
I heard just a few days ago, they released everyone from their.

No they didn't. They released 500 people from there or so, which is less than "all". 500 people that they JUST NOW figured didn't do anything wrong.

Scuba Steve said:

Why do we complain? Because we can do alot better.

I didn't say you couldn't complain, my attack was to the people saying; 'Land of teh free? Who ever told you that is your enemy!' I say to them; 'Oh please. At least your allowed to complain.' That is all I'm saying.

As for Homophobia and Racism, they are in decline and to some extent we have the media to thank for that. Religion too. The rise in athiestism and the watering down of Christianity is making homosexuality tolerable... hell media is making it fashionable.