Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bastet Furry

SystemShock2/DeusEx Inventory?

I have this little idea but i could use an inventory system like the ones in Shock 2 or DeusEx 1.
Who would and could hack that one into zDoom or some other advanced port for me?
I am not able to do it as i dont own the knowledge of "the source" to do it. :-(

I gotta admit, an inventory system like this would be really awesome, but its application is rather limited, so I wish you luck in finding a programmer that can do this for you.

The idea is a mission inside a tower that sits somewhere on the atlantic.
The hallways full of hellspawn, an AI that has gone highwire and you are the last survivor.
Ok, sounds a bit like Citadel Station, but i like that kind of games.
But to get that up and running with all bells and whistles i need that inventory system. A big plus would be some kind of email/logfile system.
At the end there should be a mixture of SShock-Survivor and Doom action.
Nothing that will be done overnight, but go on slowly like RTC does *g*

Implementing a cursor-driven inventory/email log system like Deus Ex would be quite a task. What might be more feasible is a Hexen II-style solution with the inventory using standard Heretic/Hexen code (just a bar of stuff you page through and select), and the ability for email logs or whatever to appear when you move up to a log in the game and "use" it. They just appear on your screen in front of you, similar to the marble slabs on the walls in Hexen II.

I think people would be more receptive to doing something like this for you rather than a mouse-driven GUI behemoth.

Trilinear's onto something...

This feature should really be on Zdoom's development forum as most of Zdoom uses Heretic and Hexen formats. With this in mind, I've wondered why the inventory feature hasn't been utilized in DooM projects, because other features from those games have been implemented. Even the input menu has keys that are used in Herectic/Hexen.

I mean, it could be just a DooM emulation of the Hexen/II code, so that marines can finally use quartz flasks (or whatever).