Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheLazenby

Getting Absolution to run on an older PC?

I'm using someone else's PC... I can't install a graphic card, but I'm allow to install any software. How can I run "The Absolution?" It's a several-year-old Windows 98 pc with a Celeron, that is able to run graphically-heavy games moderately well, including "Myst 3" and "Half Life". I also have the newest edition of DirectX installed.

So, is there any possibility of me playing Absolution???

It ran fine for me on a '99 Pentium2, 350Mhz processor, 192RAM and ATI 7200 video card. I know it WON'T run without DirectX 9, but since you have that it should run even better than Doomsday (as mine did.)

If the graphics capability will run Half-Life then you shouldn't have any problem.

The min spec for half life was a p133, and Im sure I saw it run (albeit, very slow) on a P90.

And are you sure about DX9? its reasonably new.. is there even a version for Win98?

I had the first Absolution version running with DX8 on that old machine. The most recent (pre-Outcast) version would not run until installing 9.0 (a or b - AFAIK it's still a beta release.)

I had trouble a few times with "DXHELP caused an invalid reference at ..." with Win98, but no problems running the game.

I got it to run by setting everything in the Direct3D config to 16-bit, but the graphics were weird - most of the tiles looked distorted.

I don't know about that then. I thought Absolution ran in OpenGL and not D3D but I'm not sure. I have always had problems with D3D for some reason, so you might check the video settings and see what the display options are - if you haven't already. I don't know why the colors would be strange though... (?)

Well, I picked up a 128MB graphics card, but haven't tried it yet... I hope it makes a difference. Something's gotta be better than nothing!

Distorted tiles hasn't been my only problem; the sound's full of glitches, the very first "Doom 64" screen has blinding white polygons that flicker all over it, the game crashes for no reason... :-(

Is there a place where information can be found on Absolution? I've heard a lot of good things about it, just don't know a. What sourceport. B)Where to find it

Well, my page in the link above has links to almost everything. It used to be for Doomsday/JDoom, but now it runs on it's own with no other download. It's a big file, and has a separate music file that's even larger. Well worth having in my opinion.

There are also walkthroughs, maps, cheats and other info at my site.

http://numerometria.com/d64tc.htm Check it out and have fun. About all I don't have there is much info about troubleshooting and problem solving. :(