Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Uncle 80

Automatic texture changing tools?

Hello.

I'm making a level for Doom II. When I started it, I used mostly
stock textures, but I want to change most of them for the final result.

The editor i use does not have a function for changing all instances
of a texture name into a different name, and since the level has got
quite a lof of sidedefs, changing the texture names manually is NOT
an option.

I'm on an old WIN98 comp that's too slow for DoomBuilder, DeepSea, etc. What I want is a tool that changes all instances of a texture
name in a WAD for a different name.

Does such a tool exist?

Thanks in advance :)

hmmm.... You could replace the textures by exporting them and then importing them back under a different name (with XWE for example).

For example: extract 'texture A' and import it under the name of 'texture B'. That way all textures B in your wad will look like texture A.

OK it's a bit far-fetched, but it should work and it's not much work.

myk said:

What about a hex editor? You can use the replace feature on the texture entries.

Ok, this looks promising.

(I used to have a tool called "Dm2Conv" or something, that could change things such as texure names and map entries in a level through a configuration file. Its main use was converting levels for Doom -> Doom2 / Heretic (Converting items, texture names etc). Unfortunately, it doesn't work in 32bit at all..) :(

Back in the day when I found converting maps between games amusing, I would use a program called Wad1to2. All you have to do is write a text file saying what to convert and what to convert it to. It can do any entry in a WAD; textures are just one kind. It's not highly advanced, but converters don't get much simpler either.

Uncle 80 said:

"Dm2Conv"

That was the program I was going to suggest. But apparently you've tried that and it didn't work. What kind of problem/ error message did you get? If it was a "runtime error 200" then it's a problem with Turbo Pascal programs being asked to run on fast modern machines. Patching programs are available to fix such exes.

Uncle 80 said:

I'm on an old WIN98 comp that's too slow for DoomBuilder, DeepSea, etc. What I want is a tool that changes all instances of a texture name in a WAD for a different name.

What sort of machine do you have? Changing textures is trivial code and should even work on a 486 - assuming you have enough memory :) Maybe that's your problem - paging vs cpu speed? I know DS runs on a P200 just fine. Think I even ran on a 486 on Win95 way back when just screwing around.

Assuming you have enough memory (at least 64MB) even if the level display is slow(er), the actual changing of textures will be as fast as it can be (once paging stops).

You can program texture changes in DeePsea via a text file much like DM2CNV.

Press F7:

1. Select PWAD Lump Arranging and More

2. Open the PWAD to modify the names for

3. Click Texture Conversion - lower right button.

For the file required by 3 - take a look at the at the sample file DOOMDOOM2.CVT for an example of the format. This is intended for DOOM to DOOM2, but actually can be anything you like.

It should be easy to understand. First name is the name to find - then after that is the new name. No name is no change. You only need to put in the names you want changed. IOW just modify for your needs.

Works for any size file for shareware :)

How about just getting wintex and adding the new textures/patches/ flats in to teh PWAD that way...and Wintex4.3 works under win98 just fine. Then DL Wad Author, the .wcf's for all the source ports and booya you are on your way to making fully custom doom projects :)