Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Bashe

Gamepad with Wolf3d and it's cousins

I've been trying to play Wolf3d and it's cousins lately (Blakestone) and sicne I have Windows 2000, it's hard to find something that will play it good. I use Dosbox for Wolf when I have to (since I have NewWolf) and VDMsound for Blake.

Anyways, playing with the keyboard can cause some minor problems, so I use a gamepad so those problems clear up. I configured the gamepad, but for some reason, it only recognizes two buttons, even with Gravis Gamepad support on. I try to configure commands to keys besides button 1 and 2, but no go. I have this controller.

i never had any luck with my gravis pads in the past. back in the win95/98 days of old. i went thru a number of controllers and cards.
never tried the fancy USB ones.

maybe it, the emulator or the game just can't support the game pads. check with you emulator

The only way I was able to do it was to modify the source; I have the same controller. I don't know if I'll even be able to release it, though, as I don't even remember where I put the source.

Hmmm...before I even turned on the controller, all the buttons had been mapped, but I think I wanted to change their locations so it was easier for me, but then I ended up unbinding them by using button 1 and 2 and there was nothing I could do for 3 and 4 because it fails to recognize them.

It may be broke. I had a Gravis gamepad that the D-pad died on. The only thing that indicated it was broke is that the setup screen read that it was not detected.

Well as for your controller problem ..

I had a old pad that changed button modes (2/4) with a switch on the top of it. Is there some sort of switch on it?

Also try fooling around with it in the Control Panel:Gaming Options thing. You might need to set it to 4 buttons manually.

AndrewB said:

Gravis is bailing out of the gamepad business, and rightfully so.

You take that back, Gravis used to make the best gamepads ever.

Google up a little program called JoyToKey - it's very handy, lets you set up your joystick to keyboard keys as long as said joystick is recognized by Windows.

Well, I got it, but I have no idea how to use my config. I set it up and everything, but it's not working.

AlexMax said:

Why should that make me take back my comment

AlexMax said:

Yeah, even though their original gamepad was a ripoff of the SNES controller with a lousy D-Pad (like all PC gamepads), and the Gravis GamePad Pro was a ripoff of the PSX controller with a lousy D-Pad.

But, I guess there wasn't anything better at the time. I'm not even sure if there is anything better today. I'd like to see one single PC gamepad that has a useful d-pad.

funny, because the Gamepad Pro existed way before the PSX did.

Interact's gamepads seem to malfunction in Win2k/XP but Gravis still works great

<3 gravis.

I hated how it was too easy to push up or down on the D-pad when I was pushing left and right on the Gamepad Pro. This was particularly frustrating when I was playing Kirby's Adventure on FCE Ultra. I'd be walking along, and then Kirby would start flying, again and again.

Piezo said:

I hated how it was too easy to push up or down on the D-pad when I was pushing left and right on the Gamepad Pro. This was particularly frustrating when I was playing Kirby's Adventure on FCE Ultra. I'd be walking along, and then Kirby would start flying, again and again.

All PC gamepads are like that.

I've been looking for one of those forever...it's like they don't exist outside of internet stores. :(

Bashe said:

I've been looking for one of those forever...it's like they don't exist outside of internet stores. :(

I have seen them in Raido Shack once in a while.

I never once got my gamepad pro to work properly with games of Wolf3d's age, as far as I can remember. The games were too old to deal with the gravis software. I don't use emulators so dont know how things there have changed.

The pad was well-made though, my one lasted years, and the d-pad wore in nicely after a while.

AgentSpork said:

But, I guess there wasn't anything better at the time. I'm not even sure if there is anything better today. I'd like to see one single PC gamepad that has a useful d-pad.

Two words: Logi Tech!

I own two of them, and their D-pads and A-sticks are far superior to anything Gravis screwed up. As soon as you let go of any D-pad or A-stick, the direction instantly snaps back to dead-center (Gravis had a tendency to not go all the way back to center). And they handle diagonals perfectly. They also have proper range (with Gravis A-sticks, there was always at least one corner it could not quite reach).

Logitech has several 12-button offerings (just like the 10-button PSX controller but with buttons on both analog sticks). You can get standard (for maybe 25 bucks), rumble for about 30, and wireless rumble for about 35.

I've dropped mine quite a few times, and it shows no signs of abuse.

I had a Wingman Rumblepad once and had nothing but trouble with it. The D-pad handled diagonals well, I admit, and the sticks were accurate and easy to move - but the sticks wouldn't center properly some times, and it was next to impossible to get the D-pad to go straight. The throttle slider on it actually popped out after I had the thing for a year (I don't abuse my pad at all).

Honestly, if you want a good gamepad, it's better to use a console gamepad, because I haven't seen any really good PC gamepads out there.

But then you have to pay for the controller AND the adapter which is almost as much as the controller.

AndrewB said:

But then you have to pay for the controller AND the adapter which is almost as much as the controller.

That's true, but it's better quality in the long run.