Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kelzam

New Orleans = Fucked v2.0

Hurricanes have been a part of life for people in the south for a very long time. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

No kidding. It shouldn't come as a surprise that this kind of stuff happens when you build your entire city below sea level. That in itself is enough to warrant a "Durrrrrr" factor.

I wouldn't even be that critical about it if the disaster response wasn't such a total political joke. I haven't seen this much red tape and useless talk in a while.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

I wonder if this one will destroy more oil refineries to keep the prices rocketing :roll:

Gas dropped a dollar here within the last week

baronofhell said:

Not where I live, which is central Florida. Nearly three bucaroos a gallon, for the cheap stuff that is.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is cheap. Current exchange rates make it $6.48 here in the good old UK based on the price of unleaded that I put in my car this morning.

Dittohead said:

Hurricanes have been a part of life for people in the south for a very long time. Why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

It's the same reason why Californians continue living near the Ring of Fire, or Midwesterners live in Tornado Alley. It's home.

But I will say that there are currently no plans to build housing developments in Death Valley.

Guardian said:

It's the same reason why Californians continue living near the Ring of Fire, or Midwesterners live in Tornado Alley. It's home.

But I will say that there are currently no plans to build housing developments in Death Valley.

the north is full of snow and death and ice- why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

the point is, there are dangers EVERYWHERE you go.

Csonicgo said:

the north is full of snow and death and ice- why anyone would want to live there is beyond me.

Snow and ice in the winter months, well yeah. Death? wtf? Personaly, I enjoy cold weather and winter recreation. I hate summer of course. Summer means I have to mow the lawn, breathe stifling, suffocating air and endure the unrelenting sun.

Quast said:

Snow and ice in the winter months, well yeah. Death? wtf? Personaly, I enjoy cold weather and winter recreation. I hate summer of course. Summer means I have to mow the lawn, breathe stifling, suffocating air and endure the unrelenting sun.

Quoting for truth. I can't even recall the last time I heard of someone freezing to death. Nor can I remember the last a giant tornado ripped shit to shreads around here. Yeah, we get them, but they're never usually a real threat. Just face it, Florida and the whole gulf coast area is just a sitting duck for disasters and more prone to a disaster than most other places.

Enjay said:

Current exchange rates make it $6.48 here in the good old UK based on the price of unleaded that I put in my car this morning.

For a litre? Holy crap, it's like $1.40AU over here, and people are bitching hardcore.

I'm guessing, that by the time I die, New Orleans will be completely submerged. Cryptic eh?

Csonicgo said:

the point is, there are dangers EVERYWHERE you go.

You know, I was actualy thinking about it and I realised that England is probably the safest place to live. In the thousands of years people have lived there, there hasn't really been any natural disasters. The closest thing I can think of is the great London fire of 1666. No hurricanes, no volcanoes, no major faultlines, no flood-prone rivers, no tornados. Hell, there aren't even any animals there that can kill you (unless you count the phantom cats). There IS a seemingly high amount of serial killers there, and London gets bombed every few years by the IRA or otherwise, but other than that... I guess if you avoid London, you'll be pretty safe. :P

New Zealand, especial Nelson where I live on the South Island, has an extremely stable climate. The worst we get is a bad flood every now and then in some parts of the country. Never in Nelson though - you could set your watch by the climate's predictability here.

Enjay said:

Ha ha ha ha ha ha! That is cheap. Current exchange rates make it $6.48 here in the good old UK based on the price of unleaded that I put in my car this morning.

Even so i bet we spend more $$$'s on gas then you. Amereicans tend to drive longer distances to and from work and in large gas hogs which don't in any way shape or form resemble the compact cars of the eastern nations. Here a 12 gallon tank is small.
I'm just glad i'm no longer driving my 350 silverado. It had two 20 gallon tanks and could bleed them both dry in two weeks. That's $240 a month

Rita is now a cat 5 and heading for Houston and Galveston. Everyone's getting out early. I think more cat 5 hurricanes are because of GREENHOUSE GASES making the ocean warmer, which is a crucial ingredient to strong hurricanes.

Could the Day After Tomorrow be correct? Are violent storms increasing thanks to the assholes in gary indiana?

Scientists have found that the earth goes through a 10,000 year cycle, and that involves an ice age as well as a hurricane cycle. We are apparently entering the hurricane cycle right now.
I'm not convinced that global warming is real, since I figured that ice caps slowly melting is likely part of the 10,000 year cycle. I read an article a while back that was written by a well know writer (I want to say Michael Crichton) about how global warming and the dangers of second hand smoke is just consensus science.

Piezo said:

Scientists have found that the earth goes through a 10,000 year cycle, and that involves an ice age as well as a hurricane cycle. We are apparently entering the hurricane cycle right now.
I'm not convinced that global warming is real, since I figured that ice caps slowly melting is likely part of the 10,000 year cycle. I read an article a while back that was written by a well know writer (I want to say Michael Crichton) about how global warming and the dangers of second hand smoke is just consensus science.

So it's a cycle, you say? Theres absolutely no reasoning behind it or anything, just some random cycle the earth goes through? Bullshit.

Piezo said:

...about how global warming and the dangers of second hand smoke is just consensus science.

Well you're just fucking retarded if you don't think cigarette smoke, first or second hand isn't hazardous... so that's not even worth arguing.

As for global warming... we migh tnot know everything about the earth and climate changes... however I'm damn sure dumping billions of tons of additional Carbon Dioxide into the atmosphere probably isn't helping the situation.

If Earth's movements are a considerable factor in the matter, other factors could likely enhance the warming even more; and it could also mean that the disasters due to warming are for the most part practically inevitable.

DooMer87 said:

Could the Day After Tomorrow be correct? Are violent storms increasing thanks to the assholes in gary indiana?

For once in your life you might be on to something.

Piezo said:

[/B]
Considering the earth actually has ice at the poles today, one could argue we are living in a recession of an ice age. We know the ice cover has waxed and waned a number of times since the last great ice age as well. However, I have never heard of a "hurricane cycle". That, to me, seems more reliant on the current shape and locations of the continents, the oceans and how that affects the atmosphere and weather patterns as opposed to axial tilt as is the cause of ice ages. Most likley I could probably be wrong too.

I'm not convinced that global warming is real, since I figured that ice caps slowly melting is likely part of the 10,000 year cycle.

The ice caps are receding and you're not sure if global warming is real? In the sence that *WE* are the direct cause of it, no. Though we sure aren't helping any...as if we could, considering the world we have created. The warming of the planet is inevitable as are possible future ice ages.

Xenphire said:

So it's a cycle, you say? Theres absolutely no reasoning behind it or anything, just some random cycle the earth goes through? Bullshit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milankovitch_cycles

DooMer87 said:

Could the Day After Tomorrow be correct?

In the idea that all weather and climates get turned around in a day, without warning (but I didn't see Day After Tomorrow, so I can't say if the movie depicted any 'warnings' or not), I don't believe that's possible. Remember, man's sense of time is very different to that of nature's.

DooMer87 said:

Rita is now a cat 5 and heading for Houston and Galveston. Everyone's getting out early. I think more cat 5 hurricanes are because of GREENHOUSE GASES making the ocean warmer, which is a crucial ingredient to strong hurricanes.

In principle, it could. On the other hand, the science in that movie is generally about as good as that of George W. Bush's advisors.

Piezo said:

The facts are that 1) global warming is happening, 2) scientists are split about whether it is happening due to human activity, and 3) most scientists agree that regardless of whether the changes so far are due to human activity, continued emissions will contribute significantly to global warming.

By the way, Michael Crichton is hardly an authority on these matters (though he has written a couple of awesome novels). But he has every right in the world to complain about the (far too large) lunatic fringe of the environmental movement.

Guardian said:

Remember, man's sense of time is very different to that of nature's.

Nature doesn't have senses.

I reckon it's just the Ice Age ending, remember that at some points the world, minus the poles (not Poland, North and South) was a tropical place.

Quast said:

Snow and ice in the winter months, well yeah. Death? wtf? Personaly, I enjoy cold weather and winter procreation. I hate summer of course. Summer means I have to mow the lawn, breathe stifling, suffocating air and endure the unrelenting sun.

heh

Global warming is real, though it has happened without the help of man before. The only real signs we are heading into a warm period is that the ice caps are melting, which could be a bad thing.

Hurricane cycles don't happen every 10,000 years wtf. They happen for about a decade every 50 or 60 years. I think the last one happened back in the 1950s or so...I can't remember.